Battery Charger

Good morning everybody,

I have just purchased a Numax XV31 battery Can anyone recommend a battery charger which will

keep the battery in top condition.

Thanks for any replies.

Ken Wood

Ken.

Bailey Senator Wyoming pulled by Mitsubishi Shogun Sport.

The Aldi is the best value in my mind. You can even condition your battery with it.

Will the xv31 fit in your battery box?

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Hi Ken, I purchased a CTEK mxs 7. 0 a few months ago to charge my numax battery, it does the job well but a little on the expensive side, I think there are a few models and the most popular one is the mxs 5. 0. Hope this helps.

Ian

I bought a cmax 7. 0 £98 then 2wk later bought one off a bloke on a car boot for £2 yes 2. Thought it was worth a try but spot on now mounted in the van as the main charger.

Hi Wiggelywoo,

Fits in the battery box OK.

Cheers Ken

just for the record you cannot fit any electrical device or fuses in a battery compartment as per the regulations and it must be completely sealed from the habitation area of the caravan. as batteries gas when being charged and could explode with a spark. same regulation apply in the gas locker for obvious reasons.

Colin Kirk chief executive of kirk caravan service :welcome:

www.kirkcaravanservice.co.uk Call: (07719 287 943)

www.facebook.com/kirkcaravanservice :D

just for the record you cannot fit any electrical device or fuses in a battery compartment as per the regulations and it must be completely sealed from the habitation area of the caravan. as batteries gas when being charged and could explode with a spark. same regulation apply in the gas locker for obvious reasons.

What?

Not even the battery?

XV31= 110ah Battery

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

You surprise me as I have had caravans with fused take off leads that are within the battery box; is this a recent regulation?

Dunno about caravans but inland boats, which require a regular Boat Safety Certificate (boat 'MOT'), are governed by many strict guidelines regarding both electric and gas (nowhere for gas to drain out on a boat).

Those regs dictate fuses to be as close as practical to the battery but in all cases outside of the battery box. They also dictate that the battery terminals must be protected from accidental short circuits, which caravans address by having the plastic battery box. If you have an isolator switch inside the battery box the switch terminals should be outside of the box.

Tony

my appologies I though you were talking about battery chargers in the battery box.

also the gas and caravan regs seem to be quite the same with exception of the gas drop holes for obvious reason as it would sink lol, caravans also state that the fuse should be within 1 meter of the battery box but not in it. regs haven't changed for years most people just don't know about them. they do make sense if you think about it.

Colin Kirk chief executive of kirk caravan service :welcome:

www.kirkcaravanservice.co.uk Call: (07719 287 943)

www.facebook.com/kirkcaravanservice :D

Thanks for all you replies. Have purchased a Numax charger will report on later.

Cheers Ken

Ken.

Bailey Senator Wyoming pulled by Mitsubishi Shogun Sport.

What about the isolator switches for movers, many of which are mounted in the battery box. Although the door is normally opened and the battery is not charging.

As I stated in Post #9, isolator switches in the battery box will have their terminals outside of the box.

Tony

What about the isolator switches for movers, many of which are mounted in the battery box. Although the door is normally opened and the battery is not charging.

And these switches most certainly are not hermetically sealed; I can see countless caravans failing their annual inspection.

The terminals might be outside the boxes, but the contacts are not sealed and they are where sparking could occur.

Edited by JTQ

The hole for the key is in the battery box but the (sealed) isolator is outside the box.

However, my EHU connector is in the box - a separated compartment but not gas tight

Edited by Superpete

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

The hole for the key is in the battery box but the (sealed) isolator is outside the box.

However, my EHU connector is in the box - a separated compartment but not gas tight

Good point.

So's mine.

Tony