Fixing Dish To Van Or Not

Nope. Use a tripod so I can decide the position and (sometimes) steer away from the trees.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Nope. Use a tripod so I can decide the position and (sometimes) steer away from the trees.

+1 Same here

Edited by WispMan

+ another.

Being on the roof would greatly inhibit what we do, where we site and in the UK the satellite is more often than not, not needed anyway.

Edit: and now with the weaker Astra 28. 2 beam on the continent the required dish and thus clobber on the roof gets "difficult" and expensive, if even it is viable.

Edited by JTQ

what about the jocky wheel mounting

That's how i had mine about 10 years ago until going on sites where i could not avoid trees, so been on tripod ever since with plenty of cable so can be moved anywhere to get clear line of signal.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

what about the jocky wheel mounting

There are a number of good ways to use the jockey wheel or even the hitch.

Before relying on any of these you have to be aware of the local compass bearing & elevation to your chosen satellite.

To newcomers this data & more is available from

www. dishpointer. com.

Or use an app built in to a smartphone or iPad for example

Dish Align

This is an area ripe with chance for everyone to devise their own fixations. I'll give some examples that I have used.

1--- for small dishes get a piece of aluminium tube having the same ID as the jockey shaft. Cut out a 4 to 6 inch slot from the aluminium tube to just fit round the jockey handle. Slip on a Jubilee hose clip which can clench the aluminium pole at the bottom, then mount the dish. This is only useful if the satellite is within 60 degrees of straight ahead from the caravan.

2----mount your sat tripod so that it touches the hitch with a block of rubber between mast of tripod & hitch. There should be a plastic ball & stem locked into your hitch. Attach the stem to the mast with a bungee cord. This is only useful if the satellite is within 60 degrees of straight ahead from the caravan.

David

Swizz

we use one of these, throw it on the roof via the heki, press a button and let it do its stuff

AQF431_default_A_large.jpg

I have put my dish and tripod in the next field a few times due to trees to get a clear signal.

Tripod and a good length of cable and a spare fly lead with male and female connectors each end. .35m I use when all leads connected.

Limited with a fixed dish and limited on size which is important now in EU.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

+1 for on a tripod if you are touring. For flexability of position.

Were I on a seasonal I might consider the jocky wheel mount if I knew it would provide line of sight.

Jim

Unicorn Valencia S1 Xtrail MK4 2. 0DCi

I have used tripod mounted dishes for years, they are bulky to carry and can be difficult to set up. Last time I used a free android app on my phone which was good, but with the smaller footprint we have now opted for a roof mounted 85cm self seeking dish. Expensive yes, but when we change vans it can come with us, but easy to carry, easy to set up.

I have used tripod mounted dishes for years, they are bulky to carry and can be difficult to set up. Last time I used a free android app on my phone which was good, but with the smaller footprint we have now opted for a roof mounted 85cm self seeking dish. Expensive yes, but when we change vans it can come with us, but easy to carry, easy to set up.

Also it will not be very useful South of the Pyrenees.

David

Swizz

David

Neither would my 57cm dish (see attachment picts) but the purpose of the photo's is to show an alternative to the roof and/or the usual tripod mount.

BTW, when filled with water, the umbrella stand weighs 15Kg. (The van weighs an awful lot more!)

Vin Blanc

post-42228-0-93108600-1395761563_thumb.jpg

post-42228-0-41855100-1395761606_thumb.jpg

post-42228-0-18199100-1395761660_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

David

That remains to be seen, the edge of 85cm ends on the SofF Coast, one man on here said he even got BBC when in Benidorm.

That remains to be seen, the edge of 85cm ends on the SofF Coast, one man on here said he even got BBC when in Benidorm.

Somebody else got picture near Valencia, but generally we seem to have lost Spain/Portugal.

There are listings of programs in English on other satellites, listed in Digital Spy.

Also it is reported that Sky customers can get their channels that are encrypted, additionally Sky News can be accessed on a freesat box, if you are content with right wing biased news.

David

Edited by Swizz

Swizz

I use a dome and just make sure I don't park where trees are an issue. So, so far I have never had an issue getting a signal.

Also, just a thought but does the community feel that it is likely that a self seeking dish is more likely to get a better signal than a human with a meter tightening bolts at the extremes of the footprint? (Possibly a slightly right wing view;-))

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Not sure about better, a picture is a picture, but definitely quicker and easier.

Tripod mount is the best, quick to set up once you get used to it (I can usually do it in about 5 mins) and can be moved to avoid trees and other obstructions.

I've been using one for the last 12 years when necessary for good reception.

In fact, before I got a 'van equipped with a directional Status, I found I could set the dish up quicker than erecting an aerial on a pole.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Even in the UK 5 mins is fast, last year it took me 30 mins in Cornwall and I thought that was good. SofF it has taken me 2 hours, it's such a pain.

Even in the UK 5 mins is fast, last year it took me 30 mins in Cornwall and I thought that was good. SofF it has taken me 2 hours, it's such a pain.

You could set the direction approximately & the elevation precisely. Later trim the direction while watching the TV with signal bars on screen. Use a meter if you can't watch TV. Though a 5 metre HDMI link TV to set top box.

I usually do it under 5 minutes.

See how to at

http://www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk/elevation. htm#device3. ...........this gadget lets you view the elevation direction to check for trees etc.

Another time saver is to screw a dog anchor into ground then erect tripod & keep the 2 firmly together by winding a bungee with hooks.

David

Edited by Swizz

Swizz

There always seems to be a strong anti fixed dish on this forum, if you can afford it, get one for the roof, no worries about packing, unpacking, setting up etc etc, just press one button and its all done, you will get the hang of where to park to get a signal if trees are an issue, and you can have an 85cm dish that will still get you a decent reception in the south of France and down into Spain, for those who suggest a 1m dish, probably don't know how much it takes to set one up, and most portable dishes stop at 65cm.

Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

There always seems to be a strong anti fixed dish on this forum, if you can afford it, get one for the roof, no worries about packing, unpacking, setting up etc etc, just press one button and its all done, you will get the hang of where to park to get a signal if trees are an issue, and you can have an 85cm dish that will still get you a decent reception in the south of France and down into Spain, for those who suggest a 1m dish, probably don't know how much it takes to set one up, and most portable dishes stop at 65cm.

The reasons why folk prefer not to use a fixed dish may include:-

1--raising the van's centre of gravity.

2--some may prefer to travel with dish in the car, if kit inside van takes it near the limit.

3--now that 85 cm usage virtually stops at the Pyrenees it may to some represent junk.

4--the large extra & unnecessary cost. ( see post 21 )

5--your pitch may have no view of the satellite from the van, whereas long leads can let you have significant extra choices

I don't understand your fear of setting up a 1m dish. I use 2 dishes, 50cm & 100cm & the bigger one takes no more time, I still expect to do it within 5 minutes.

David

Swizz

. David

. Swizz, does your mother know that you're still playing on your computer at 3 o'clock in the morning? :o:lol::D

Sorry to wander "off topic".

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

I think your post is inclined to be very misleading for those who are not familiar with the latest changes to Astra 2 at 28. 2° E.

I use a "freesat" recorder, perhaps you might explain just how I might receive "freesat" in the north of Spain or even the south of France using only an 85cm dish?

Vin Blanc