Electric Sockets Not Running Off Battery But Off Mains

McSmithy

Hello,

I have just got the caravan out of storage to get it ready for some 'fair weather' trips! ;)

When I re-hooked up the battery and tested everything, I noticed that the sockets are not working when hooked up to the battery but when I plug it into the mains they do. The fridge, lights etc work fine coming off the battery so I'm baffled (it doesn't take much!).

I'm hoping someone on this site knows what the problem is and hopefully it's an easy solution! It could be just not flicking the correct switch - I'm fairly new to this caravaning stuff!

Thanks for reading my post - I hope you can help?

McSmithy

McSmithy

Bailey Ranger GT60 540/6 2009

Which sockets don't work?

Could they be the 3pin sockets like you have in the house?

Topic moved to electrical

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I didn't think normal 3 pin plugs work when on battery only I thought you need to be plugged in to EHU but I am sure some clever person will be along to advise you

Live life to the full you are a long time dead

240v sockets(same as in the house) and also the fridge don't work from the caravan battery, unless you are speaking about the 12v cigarette lighter sockets?

Edited by Brocher12

As has been said, Neither 13 amp (as in household) or fridge work off the battery. They both only work when on an EHU or in the case of the fridge when on gas.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

On hook up the mains is used to supply:

- the 12 volt system via the battery charger/transformer

- the fridge when 240v is selected

- 13amp 3 square pin mains socket outlets

- caravan heating system

- and normally two lights at the front end of the van.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

How much and how many days at a time touring are you going to without EHU (Electric hook up)?

If you intend to attend summer rallies for long weekends, with no mains, you will have to use the gas and 12v systems only. Some TVs are designed to run on either, but things like hair dryers and electric kettles will not work. It's a bit more basic but can be more fun. Be careful not to put too much on the battery as it will discharge quicker the more demand you put on it. Get a gas hob kettle for tea, and your heater will also run on gas.

If you are always going to be on EHU then once connected on site everything will work as you expect.

Thank you! You've all come to my rescue again!

This of course is the reason - glad I don't need to get anything fixed!

When we've been away, we've always had electric hook-up so never noticed this before.

Thanks again everyone.

McSmithy

Bailey Ranger GT60 540/6 2009