Sign in to follow this  
bivvyman

Alde Antifreeze Replacement

Hi looking to add the Alde Anti Freeze replacement to the annual service, This being the 5 year stuff . What will the dealer charge ?

Bought a bottle yesterday for £12.

This is the sort of G12++ specification stuff needed if you want to DIY the job; you may well after getting a quote!

http://www. halfords. com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_759289_langId_-1_categoryId_255224

Needs 50/50 diluting with ideally de ionised or distilled water, unless your tap water is "soft".

Hi looking to add the Alde Anti Freeze replacement to the annual service, This being the 5 year stuff . What will the dealer charge ?

I would imagine it will be a lot! I know my charges are usually around 1/2 the price of an average dealer price.

This is the sort of G12++ specification stuff needed if you want to DIY the job; you may well after getting a quote!

http://www. halfords. com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_759289_langId_-1_categoryId_255224

Needs 50/50 diluting with ideally de ionised or distilled water, unless your tap water is "soft".

Unfortunately halfords have discontinued supplying the antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor. ... I bought all of the remaining stock from the stores in my area, you may be lucky to find the odd bottle! Edited by Caravanmedicswindon

Unfortunately halfords have discontinued supplying the antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor. ... I bought all of the remaining stock from the stores in my area, you may be lucky to find the odd bottle!

I expect you should find this Comma G40 version of a G12++ speced product at most good Auto Factors.

http://shop. autoparts-inverurie. co. uk/comma-xstream-g40-antifreeze--coolant-concentrate-5l-2900-p. asp

Edit: faster and cheaper seeking fingers than mine!

Purchased outside of a caravan dealers the stuffs not dear.

Edited by JTQ

Hi Caraman1 - thanks for info - didnt realise changing the antifreeze diy was possible - it is easy to do ? are there any links to assist .

Thanks in advance

It is not difficult, tedious, yes but not difficult. I and others have detailed it on here which hopefully can be accessed via search.

With this G12++, 5 year fluid comes the big plus that it mixes with almost all previously used 2 and 5 year products. This means no need to flush all traces of the old out; indeed a big plus.

What you must do first is find out where ALL the bleed points are in your van, as the chances are you will need to bleed at all of them to get the recharged fluid to circulate, ie clear air locks.

Set aside about 2 hours to DIY it, unless like my Hymer you have to break down and rebuild quite a bit of furniture.

A dealer or Alde engineer will use a special purging pump that does things quite a bit quicker and on occasion without too much bleeding.

Edited by JTQ

Hi JTQ when you say G12++ 5 year fluid - is the amazon link the correct one to buy, as couldnt see G12 anywhere -- Amazon Link

Thanks

From the product description on the Amazon page. ..

. .. Exceeds BS-6580-1992, VW code G12 ++ BS6580 1992, ASTM D3306, SAE J1034 Officially approved by: * Volkeswagwen, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley, Lamborghini . ..

Had this from Alde

Dave

Alde Customer Services

Thank you for your enquiry.

The only way to guarantee compatibility of a top up or replacement antifreeze is to use the same antifreeze as already in the system.

Alternatively, Volkswagen G12++ spec antifreeze is compatible with the antifreeze used as standard by all UK OEMs.

The antifreeze will need changing according to the OEMs requirement. This is after the first 2 years for Bailey. After 2 years the antifreeze can be replaced by the same type (e. g. , Comma Super Coldmaster), to give another 2 years corrosion protection, or with Comma Xstream G40 (VW G12++ Spec), to give 5 year corrosion protection.

Your dealer may well offer this service.

Regards,

Alde UK Team

Edited by caraman1

Hi JTQ when you say G12++ 5 year fluid - is the amazon link the correct one to buy, as couldnt see G12 anywhere -- Amazon Link

Thanks

Yes Comma G40 is compliant with G12++. That is a VW specification. If you read in that Amazon link, in the "Product description" section you will find the confirmation as. "(VW code - G12 plus plus)"

I've done the change from 2 year to 5 year, but I'll get someone else to replace the fluid next time, probably Alde themselves.

Issues:

1. There is normally only one drain point and because the pipework runs along the floor below the radiators your flushing fluid (ie. tap water) remains in these pipes and I don't think that's a good result. Alde flush through with a heck of a lot of pre-mixed anti-freeze.

2. You need to check the strength of the new mix in the system. This can be done with an hydrometer and sample jar, aiming for a final specific gravity of 1. 08 (50%). If you add 50% mix to the header tank it will be diluted by the residual tap water in the pipes so use a more concentrated mix (80% ?)

LINKY

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Hi thanks for all your input and now have a much better understanding of whats required and looks like i will be changing myself - last point is purchasing an hydrometer which shows specific gravity - the ones ive seen on Amazon seem to show traffic light system - again any help welcomed

Hi thanks for all your input and now have a much better understanding of whats required and looks like i will be changing myself - last point is purchasing an hydrometer which shows specific gravity - the ones ive seen on Amazon seem to show traffic light system - again any help welcomed

With this newer, G12++ product there is now no need to flush out all the preexisting antifreeze/inhibitor.

Unlike previous products this cross mixes with what is likely to be there, certainly any original factory filling.

This greatly simplifies and de-risks the task and means you dont need to worry about getting and using a hydrometer or that some original product might be left in the pipes. That was important before because of incompatibility between the inhibitors used; G12++ overcomes that, it mixes without precipitating.

Note very carefully it must be G12++, not even G12 and certainly not earlier specifications to have this important intermixing tolerance.

Of course if you do flush with water then it is a whole new ball game and you are into ensuring you have achieved the right concentration, though to be honest unless you are going to store the caravan in some very harsh temperature that is not critical. [i have not checked out G12++ full user features but I suspect the ideal mix is nearer 40/60 product to water, its just generally more expedient to make up 50/50]

The only reason you are changing the fluid is that its corrosion inhibitor properties degenerate, but here in this application the "loads" that cause its degeneration are not sevre so it has potential reserves to last a bit longer. Therefore a few % of old product left in is of no real consequence.

There should be no need to flush from a de silting, sludging point, unless somebody has been cross mixing fluids and causing precipitation.

Can I repeat the importance of knowing where all the bleeders are before you start a DIY fluid change, that is the biggest aspect to avoid grief, from arising air locks.

Edited by JTQ

Hi

can I ask a question about the 2 year anti freeze?

My van was built August 2012 and used as a demonstrator van for 12 months before I purchased it. I have owned it from September 2013 and is registered as a 2013 van but in august this year the anti freeze will be 2 years old. Will I have to change it this year, or is it 2 years in use not just stood?

Terry.

It's 2 years stood although I'm sure that the heater won't start rotting away on the first day of the third year ;)

I would imagine it will be a lot! I know my charges are usually around 1/2 the price of an average dealer price.

Hi - just for info checked with Alde and they offer an anti freeze replacement at £150 including Vat and they visit - how does this sound

About £120 dearer than doing it DIY and still having half a can of product to use in another 5 years time, and a lot better understanding of your caravan!

Retail price of product, plus time, plus travelling, plus investment in the kit, plus profit it has to be getting that way.

Local mobile independent with their overheads ought to knock 50 off IMO, the more likely if as an option on a full service.

Edited by JTQ

About £120 dearer than doing it DIY and still having half a can of product to use in another 5 years time, and a lot better understanding of your caravan!

Retail price of product, plus time, plus travelling, plus investment in the kit, plus profit it has to be getting that way.

Local mobile independent with their overheads ought to knock 50 off IMO, the more likely if as an option on a full service.

Hi JTQ - forgot to add the service also includes a full system check-up, - im still undecided if its going to be a diy or get alde to do the job - the full system check up is starting to win the vote -