sceptic

Our new to us caravan has Tyron Bands fitted. I know that tyre removal kits are available, is it worth buying one? We shall be off to France in May and wonder if it would be foolish to go without.

Also, we have Dukdalf chairs which are in need of a little TLC eg the little rubber spacers/washers are missing or worn. I've done some research to find spares with no success. Does anyone know where such items can be found?

Yes I have one and had to use it at a tyre fitters once. I think having it in the car boot is a good idea.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Our new to us caravan has Tyron Bands fitted. I know that tyre removal kits are available, is it worth buying one? We shall be off to France in May and wonder if it would be foolish to go without.

If you have the supplied allen key (and if possible removal and refitting instruction sheet) that is all that is needed and a tyre fitter who knows what they are doing, if you do not have the key then you will not be able to replace the tyre if it blows or you need it puncture repaired.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

I changed the tyre in France following the Tyron instructions. The small French garage, had never seen Tyron bands and were a tad reticent to try following the instructions, but more than happy working with me to do the Job. They seemed very interested in them; their reticence was only lack of familiarity, they were willing enough to help and study what I did.

I would not dream of carrying all the clobber just in case I got a puncture in France.

Thanks for the replies. As far as I'm aware I don't have the Allen key or the instructions! Will have do a thorough search.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Did my 'thorough' search (can't usually find my socks in the sock drawer) to no avail. Many thanks for the link Lefthand, will print it off. I can source an Allen key, could someone kindly tell me the length of the one supplied?

Did my 'thorough' search (can't usually find my socks in the sock drawer) to no avail. Many thanks for the link Lefthand, will print it off. I can source an Allen key, could someone kindly tell me the length of the one supplied?

Sorry I can not immediately, as it is in the van and that is is storage, hopefully LHD will be able to help PDQ.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

My allen key must be around 6 inch on long side and 2 inch on the short side.

Needs very long reach from tyre to hub.

Mine was supplied by the dealer who fitted the bands.

My Tyron Allen key is one with a "ball" end, so can drive the screws from an angle, ie it forms a universal joint.

When you have the bands fitted the long Allen key and instructions should be supplied to you.

I had new tyres fitted to our caravan a couple of years ago by ATS who assured me they knew how to deal with Tyron bands. It was embarrassing to see the struggle they had (I don't have a spider but do have the correct key and provided them with the instructions). Getting the old tyres off wasn't too much of a problem but they did have trouble fitting the new ones.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Been to the towcar to check it for you:

The Allen key supplied in the Tyron kit is a 10"[255mm] long, 5mm AF, "ball-ended" one.

Now that is an exceedingly long key for its minimum size, plus it has the ball-end for oblique application.

IMO you will struggle to locate a tool factor that can supply you a one off key, they all might order you a box full but I suspect by far the cheapest and easiest route is to pay Mr Tyron or his agents £8 for the kit.

If you have a workshop equipped like mine, then buying a standard length 5 mm AF ball-ended Allen key, and brazing it onto an extension rod is a solution, but not to me one worth it for saving something short of the £8.

Edited by JTQ