12N & 12S Rewired To 13 Pin - Strange Issue.

enquisiter

I have recently rewired my old style 12n + 12S plugs to a new 13 pin system. I have done this sort of thing before and am pretty competent. Everything works as it should, brakes, lights, indicators, fogs, reverse lights . .. except one strange fault.

When i put the brakes on the caravan brakes light up but also the lights come on!! the lights work by themselves with no fault and the brakes work illuminating the second coil in the bulb but its just braking puts lights coil and brake coil on. I know this as i see the front van lights come on as i brake.

Any ideas? am puzzled.

Sounds like a short in the plug or a bad earth. Check for any loose strands touching the next wire.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The side lights are either side of the brake lights pin so maybe there is a stray wire linking the two. However the left hand and right hand lights are in separate pins so it would be strange if both are coming on. Other cause may be a poor earth connection on pin 3.

If it was working OK with the 12N/12S sockets then it seems the only way would be to disconnect the 13 pin socket and reconnect again.

Brian

As has been said, it is almost certainly a bad earth connection to the combined tail/stop light bulbs. When power is applied to the tail lights it finds a return path through the stop light filaments and vice versa. The stop lights filaments are 21 watts but the tail lights are only 5 watts. As a result, the lower stray current through the stop lights is too low to light them. However, the stray current from the stop lights is sufficient to light the tail lights.

Bad earth

Would agree. Had water ingress into the socket on the jeep which whenever I braked caused the marker lights to come on was well.

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Bad earth return. This will cause the power to take the quickest way back to complete a circuit. In your case via the other light circuits.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Another vote for bad earth.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

+1 for bad earth. If we get 100,000 votes we can have the topic discussed in parliament. Democracy in action. ;)

Mr. B. Earth is our local candidate for an MEP.

His is the Green and Yellow Party :) :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion