Introduction

I (and my wife) have just signed-up to your site, which seems very useful indeed and this is simply to say hello. We probably haven’t done so correctly as there doesn’t seem to be an “Hello” button

To tell you the truth we have no experience in this camping game but we have bought a van, screwed a towbar to the car, and parked both on the drive. I am under instructions to clean and scrub every nook and cranny even though it is spotless already.
So far so good! I have ‘cracked’ the electrics and the gas and have even had the heating and the fridge going today. However, I am dreading connecting both the clean and waste water containers; it looks somewhat complicated to me.

Have a look at this bit of the forum it tells you where you might get a manual for your van, the water and waste will be simple if you have the instructions!

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/52412-avondale-coachcraft-ltd-owners-manuals/

There is an Avondale section of the forum lower down the page where you can ask specific questions about that make and model - you'll be more likely to get a response there by starting a new topic if you need help on something or use the search box on the forum home page

Edited by sleepyfolk

Welcome Jack! You will soon get the hang of it! We all have to start somewhere. You'll soon be

asking where the best sites in France are!! :D:D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Welcome to the Forum.

Maybe Ben can add an Hello Button? ;)

Have a safe tow. ..... Hope the screws are up to scratch.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I connected the water both “IN and OUT” and even got it hot so all is looking good.

I sterilised all the pipes with Milton from the local Pound Shop (other brands are available I believe) and when done wondered how often I shall need to do such a thing in the future. Is there anyone out there in caravan land who can tell me. Ta!

:welcome: and this forum is excellent for advice, often varied and differing advice!

For example, I never clean out the water pipes with anything other than water, but lots of people use all sorts. You seem to have sorted lots out yourself, so well done and do look forward to your first outing

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

On the roof of the caravan there is a TV aerial resembling the Starship Enterprise. It connects to an amplifier from which cables disappear – presumably – to the TV outlets in the walls.

Having read several posts this evening about Sky dishes, tripods, and jockywheel mounting – whatever that is (please don’t tell me), I conclude the above mentioned bit of kit isn’t all that successful. Shall I replace it? Shall I remove it? Shall I buy a book?

On the roof of the caravan there is a TV aerial resembling the Starship Enterprise. It connects to an amplifier from which cables disappear presumably to the TV outlets in the walls.

Having read several posts this evening about Sky dishes, tripods, and jockywheel mounting whatever that is (please dont tell me), I conclude the above mentioned bit of kit isnt all that successful. Shall I replace it? Shall I remove it? Shall I buy a book?

Frosty - it will be fine. Its prob something like this.

http://www. visionplus. co. uk/shop/status-antennas/

Will just need pointing to the right transmitter (I use iTransmitter locator if you have a smart phone), and away you go. Just re,e,beer that you'll need to retune your tv every place you go

Edited by milkymarsh

Welcome aboard Jack

Looks like you've "got the bug".

I'm sure you will enjoy it, caravanning that is. :rolleyes:

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

Frosty - it will be fine. Its prob something like this.

http://www. visionplus. co. uk/shop/status-antennas/

Will just need pointing to the right transmitter (I use iTransmitter locator if you have a smart phone), and away you go. Just re,e,beer that you'll need to retune your tv every place you go

Thanks for the TV advice milky

While you're on a roll, I'll tell you something else.

Inside the little door where the toilet waste container lives, there is a short piece of pipe - about 400 mm long with a black rubber nozzle on each end. I don’t think it was connected to anything when I took a little look in there and there seems nowhere for it to connect to anyway

Thanks for the TV advice milky

While you're on a roll, I'll tell you something else.

Inside the little door where the toilet waste container lives, there is a short piece of pipe - about 400 mm long with a black rubber nozzle on each end. I dont think it was connected to anything when I took a little look in there and there seems nowhere for it to connect to anyway

That's the drain for the toilet, when you drain it down for the winter period. Open up the waste door, take the tank out and you should see a small connector right above the door that the pipe connects to. You should also see a couple of small plastic recesses that allows the pipe to reside horizontally and closed off. You need to put the pipe back on, otherwise when you go to fill the toilet flush up it will just pour straight out of there! Edited by milkymarsh

Milky, yet again I’m in your debt. Now you have explained the pipe to me I can see what it is and what it does.

I suppose I really should be posting these questions in the Forum section so everyone can stick their ten-penneth in, but sometimes things which are obvious to an expert make no sense at all to a couple of novices like my wife and me. An example of this is how much weight one can put in the van itself (What a can of worms that is).

It would seem obvious on the face of it that the lighter the caravan the more weight you can out in it to bring it to 85% of the tow car weight. But – correct me if I’m wrong – I now believe it is the MTPLM minus MRO that will decide the ‘User Payload’. Having deduced that, I am then confronted by ‘mass available for optional extras’. In my case 38kg of something.

Glad you're getting there jack.

The mtplm is a well discussed point on here and something that will grab a lot more responses I expect!

Upshot is you cannot go above the mtplm (max technical permissible laden mass). MIRO is pretty much the empty caravan but with a certain amount for consumables, ie 1 gas bottle, elec hook up cable, 10ltrs water and maybe a couple of litres in the toilet. Each manufacturer allows different amounts, so you need to find out what they factored into the miro figures. But in essence your payload will be the one minus the other, but in that you potentially need to allow for a battery and/or mover. Awnings can easily take up 25kg of your allowance if stored in the van.

To make sure you don't go over the limit its useful to get the bathroom scales out and factor it all up, as the first time we did it last year we were 50kg over and that didn't include anything major! (apart from swmbo's wardrobe for a month, when only going for a few days).

You'll be surprised how much it all comes to.

On the user payload of optional extras, these can easily be added in (such as a chest of drawers etc), but you must add those to your miro, so as a result your user payload reduces by 38kg for yourself.

Hope this helps. I do profess to expect others with more knowledge or understanding to contribute here as this is not an area of vast experience for me!!!

milkey,

It's a damn good thing I'm a poor old pensioner and can't afford anything to put in it :(