Cassette Top Slide/flap Fault.......?

Msbishop

Hi all!

We have just had a great weekend away (our 1st) and I have discovered a fault with my cassette???

When I go to the chemical waste point and remove the cap and aim the tube down the shoot. The flap/cover/slide thing falls (slides) out and down along with the emptying waste. ... Hmmmmm fishing!

I don't know how else to describe the part I'm on about? It slides across the main flap that opens when you flush the loo! (The outer protective cover, not the gate? I hope I'm making some kind of sense to some one out there???)

I asked some fellow peeps on the site and ALL said they have never come across this problem before???? And that their slide/drawer/cover never comes out????

Any ideas how to keep the slidey thing in place??? And will new flap/slidey cover thing not also fall out at the same inclination of the cassette during the emptying state???

I think I have a C4 if that makes anything clearer, but I could be wrong :-((

(1996 abbey caberet 5 berth)

Please help as "fishing" is NOT a past-time I want to repeat! EVER. ....

Thanks in advance

"Clean hands" Mark (now!)

It might be that the flap on the loo is not in the fully closed position when you are withdrawing the cassette, adjacent to the slidy flap there is a yellow knob on our cassette which should be in a straight line if it is fully closed.

Next time you go to your van check the lever on your toilet is fully closed - ours slides closed but will then go an extra half inch which is a bit stiffer. Check the cassette when you take it out and look at the yellow plug to see if it is absolutely in line with the side of the case, you can check this before you fill it with waste!

Has happened to me once and that was the issue.

It's (the flap) only held in by friction from the rubber seal that is under it, your caravan is quite a few years old now, have a look at the seal, is it in good nick, if not, might be worth replacing, they are only a few quid and easy to do.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I think he means the slide thing that covers the blade hole. When you put the cassette back into its housing, the housing pushes the slide back so exposing the blade hole.

I have been "fishing" once and never again!

Now I remove the slide and put it aside before I empty the cassette.

Don't you just these technical terms!?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Mark,

If you mean this part . .. circled red on the attached pic . .. it's officially called the "sliding cover" (I bet it needed a committee to come up with that one!)

post-42316-0-01807300-1395617183_thumb.jpg

If you fail to fish it out of the CDP, you'll apparently need replacement part N° 2133374.

I always, always remove it before unscrewing the cap/measuring cup, and put them both to one side.

Enjoy your caravanning, but don't be offended if no-one shakes your hand!

John

Edited by Johnaldo

I always remove our slidey thing as well otherwise it falls out. Not had to go fishing yet

Live life to the full you are a long time dead

It's (the flap) only held in by friction from the rubber seal that is under it, your caravan is quite a few years old now, have a look at the seal, is it in good nick, if not, might be worth replacing, they are only a few quid and easy to do.

Marks has got it in one. .......needs a new seal. Should be available at any good caravan spares place.

I agree, sounds like you need a new seal.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Thanks again all!

Great to hear I'm not alone in the "fishing" experience!

I will get a new seal today and fit it! Just because it maybe old? But I will also take your valued advice and remove the sliding cover EVERYTIME!

Thumbs up again for your helpfullness!

I will shake every one of your friendly hands when I meet you next lol! ;-)

Regards

Mark. ...

You are not alone on this one; I now don't bother with it.

Is anyone aware of what, other than a cosmetic modesty cover, any practical function it is intended to perform?

Its not that anyone on site has the slightest doubt what the cassette is for, so I can't fathom the purpose of this flap.

Edited by JTQ

You are not alone on this one; I now don't bother with it.

Is anyone aware of what, other than a cosmetic modesty cover, any practical function it is intended to perform?

Its not that anyone on site has the slightest doubt what the cassette is for, so I can't fathom the purpose of this flap.

I keep mine in the front locker where its safe & secure, it fell off on the first outing when the caravan was new, I put it in the locker 11 years ago & its been there ever since ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Likewise, mine disappeared down the manhole the first time I emptied it, that was 7 years ago, fail to see what purpose it serves?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I think he means the slide thing that covers the blade hole. When you put the cassette back into its housing, the housing pushes the slide back so exposing the blade hole.

I have been "fishing" once and never again!

Now I remove the slide and put it aside before I empty the cassette.

+1

At £13 including postage for a new lip seal I think I'll carry on leaving the slide cover off when I trundle down to the chemical point.

http://www. leisureshopdirect. com/caravan/water/product_29428/lip_seal_for_thetford_c200_c250_c260_and_c400_toilets. aspx

Land Rover is now back towing.

I think the purpose of the slider (that's what I have called it, so that is now it's name) is to cover up any unsightly or smelly bits of waste matter (that's what I never call it, but it's not allowed on here to say what it really is, so that is now it's name) which would otherwise be visible to campers as you walk past whilst they're eating their lunch. - " excuse me neighbour, if you don't mind me saying, your waste matter is hanging out of your seal" I know! I know! I know! I'm going!

Edited by Ian Hastings

Ern

According to the Thetford manual . .. The cover guarantees optimal hygiene - opens when the waste tank is inserted into the toilet, and closes when the waste tank is removed.

Edited by Johnaldo