Bypass Water Filter?

bryan1980hoy

Ive just removed my carver crystal water filter, used a handy tip from this form about using a pair of pliers the wrong way round ( saved me £6 buying a removal tool as it wouldnt undo by hand)

Ive prised the old filter apart and removed the contents, filter pads (which were covered in mould) sponges and charcoal?

Ive then refitted the empty housing back into position.

This should be ok shouldnt it? I mean the water on the site is of a drinking standard and this filter seems like a waste of time, ive sterilised the vans pipe system and will continue to do so.

Sounds really tightfisted but Id rather not spend £10 every month on a new filter if I dont need to?

You have just done what a lot of us have always done: got rid of the ridiculously expensive &, effective-wise, short-lived built-in filter. I always ask 'why do you feel it necessary to filter ALL your water when only about 10% is used for drinking or cooking?' I still waiting for a sensible answer. If nothing else it causes an unnecessary drag on the pump after a short time of use.

If the water is taken from the mains it is already of 'good quality' & if the taste is found objectionable then use, as I & many others do, a jug filter. Much cheaper & more efficient.

It is a fact that a over-used filter, or just older than a few months, can harbour more nasties than you can throw a stick at: a bit counter-productive really.

Edited by micktheshed

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

We don't filter water at home and so, neither do we filter the 'van water. We also use the site water for drinking in tea and coffee but for that we may be a minority.

You are right to remove the awful filter.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We don't filter water at home and so, neither do we filter the 'van water. We also use the site water for drinking in tea and coffee but for that we may be a minority.

+1

You are right to remove the awful filter.

+1

A minority of three, thus far :rolleyes:

We never use a filter in the UK, but always pop one in before travelling over the channel.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

In my experience most European countries have even better water quality than the UK's already excellent standard.

• 2 weeks later...

So, is it safe to remove the water filter completely?

Will that not increase the rate of flow into the van and cause a problem?

Like many others we do not use water from van system for drinking.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

It is not a 'filter' as such, it is only a charcoal adsorption filter so it will be of limited use at higher flow rates anyway and is mainly to improve taste.

If you like the taste of the water as delivered, you don't need the 'filter' :)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Like some others we use a separate container for water to fill the kettle. My caravan has got one of those in-line filters connected into the pipe work under the front seat.

Can I just replace that with an appropriate length of blue water pipe?

I just use the end cap off a filter with the o ring seal to screw in at the beginning of the season and take it out to drain the housing when winterising .

I dont drink the water but use it for showers and use a separate stainless steel container for drinking water . I find you get a plastic taste from the plastic tanks and containers.

I have done this for years .

Dont over tighten the filter as the housing crack very easily . Got the T shirt thnx to a service engineer .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Like some others we use a separate container for water to fill the kettle. My caravan has got one of those in-line filters connected into the pipe work under the front seat.

Can I just replace that with an appropriate length of blue water pipe?

yes you can just replace this with pipe we routinely did this at the service to save cost every year.

Colin Kirk chief executive of kirk caravan service :welcome:

www.kirkcaravanservice.co.uk Call: (07719 287 943)

www.facebook.com/kirkcaravanservice :D

yes you can just replace this with pipe we routinely did this at the service to save cost every year.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

One word of caution in dispensing with the carbon filter. These are not just about water quality, they are also about stopping any small bits of debris that may enter your water container being sucked into your pipework & causing problems. Let me explain:

Back in 2009 all set up on first day of weeks holiday with everything working as normal. Woke the next morning to find taps full of air & spluttering water as if the system had been drained. This happened every night for a week & I could not for the life of me see what was causing it. Took van to dealers to check, they had it three days before finding a tiny sliver of white plastic was lodged in the non return valve within the water pipework which kept the valve open just enough for all the water to drain back into the aquaroll overnight. I remember the technician saying that this would not have happened on the previous models as the crystal filter would have stopped it.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

I have never put mine in, we use caravan water for everything except actually drinking it cold and I avoid doing that anyway. Do steralise the system each season though.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

It seems to be a harbour for germs rather than a prevention.

I have done the same as you.

But either with or without a water filter weI do not drink the pumped water. We have a separate container - a large disposable water bottle.

I think whatever you do you have stale water in the caravan system and this is not like a house system as it is not sealed and periodically is open to air or standing around, or even just being in the water carrier.

Seems to be no problem doing this as we end up fetching the same amount of water.