Nose Weights ....again

Timanita

Morning all,

Right this nose weight thing . .....!!!!!

I've now removed everything out of the front locker except a calor light bottle and a small normal calor bottle. ....there's nothing in the front of the van exept a few glasses in a locker and a few cloths ( 3 pairs of jeans and 5 t-shirts).

I'm using the scales and a stick method that is set at the same height 18inches of the tow ball on the car. ....AND IM STILL GETTING 110kgs. ....

Anyone else got an Avante 636 2014 with the same issue. ....??

Thanks

Tim

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

This can happen with any van, first, try a different set of scales and spread the load of the stick on the scales, don't let it focus all the weight on one point, many vans ex works have heavy noseweights, meaning the noseweight is based on a fully loaded van, or loaded to go away, not as it sits on your drive etc, I generally have nothing forward of the front axle on mine except gas and some water fittings to get to 80kg and on/behind the axle, everything else, oh and if like me, wondered why my weight shot to 110kg once, make sure the onboard water tank is empty, if you have one.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

This can happen with any van, first, try a different set of scales and spread the load of the stick on the scales, don't let it focus all the weight on one point, many vans ex works have heavy noseweights, meaning the noseweight is based on a fully loaded van, or loaded to go away, not as it sits on your drive etc, I generally have nothing forward of the front axle on mine except gas and some water fittings to get to 80kg and on/behind the axle, everything else, oh and if like me, wondered why my weight shot to 110kg once, make sure the onboard water tank is empty, if you have one.

Thanks Marks. ...

No tank and heater empty, I'll try the tip of a piece of wood to spread the weight, might be that. ...?

I agree, you load it as if you were using it. Put all the things in that will be used or needed then shift things around to get the right nose weight.

After all, you don't go out for a weekend away with an empty caravan ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Try and borrow a Milenco nose weight gauge: I got a crazy reading with bathroom scale method. I'm nowhere near you sorry or you could borrow mine but maybe a member near you could help?

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Why do you have two gas cylinders? Unless you are parking in a field with no electric gas last for ages. Check what's in the cylinder before you go away by weighing it. . Carting a spare cylinder round just in case is 15kg or more of excess weight at the front

I've got two 10kg Gaslights one sits at home full and one in the van is used until it's nearly empty (you can see how much gas is left). It then gets swapped with the full one and used with the BBQ until empty and then refilled so I've always got full or nearly full one at home.

10kg lasts us leastt 2 years and we are away 60-70 nights a year - we cook in the van using the cooker (including a full Christmas dinner with all the trimmings last Yuletide) but rarely use gas for heating, hot water or the fridge.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I gave up on the bathroom scales. Never got the same reading twice. I was then banned from using them because they broke.

Bought a Milenco gauge and with two gas bottles, a leveller, two Fiamma waste carriers and other bits and pieces it still only shows 95kg which is ok as the car has a max of 100kg.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I agree, you load it as if you were using it. Put all the things in that will be used or needed then shift things around to get the right nose weight.

After all, you don't go out for a weekend away with an empty caravan ;)

H.

Quote I would agree with this. Put everything in the van where you would like it to be, clothes in the wardrobe, food in the cupboards, awning on the floor just behind the axle, cool stuff in the fridge, gas in the front locker, empty water barrels at the back of the van, bedding in the bedding boxes, tv in a safe place. Then try again, if it still too high move the spare wheel so that it is behind the axle. If you still have problems I would move the spare wheel and the awning back a foot and try again, and keep on doing this till you achieve what you need. Then look at it and decide if anything is obviously too far back and is going to have an effect, once you are happy take the van out and try it, if you are happy with the handling you have succeeded, if not then you need to think again but I have never found this to be necessary it has always worked for me.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Loading a caravan is like a see saw getting it loaded correct between the maximum noseweight and back loading without exceeding the MTPLM .

Remember to loose 30kg off a noseweight only needs 15kg moved from front to back. .

I can check my noseweight and find it 180kg before my OH fills the rear wardrobe with clothes then I just adjust it to 90kg by loading the front and rear lockers with wheel clamps and locks .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

RIGHT. ...ordered the millenco gauge ( god this caravanning is an expensive business), so let's see what I get when it comes

RIGHT. ...ordered the millenco gauge ( god this caravanning is an expensive business), so let's see what I get when it comes

Good move, most people who take nose weight seriously get a milenco in the end

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Yes but it will be worth its "weight" :)

We always carry ours in the caravan and randomly check the nose weight when touring.

Thanks chaps. ..

What's your view on pneumatic jockey wheels, just had some movers fitted and put the van back in storage and there's a lot of crunching and grinding coming from the solid jockey wheel I have on at the moment as it crunches over the hardcore base.

Read that pump up wheels on the jockey are better with movers. ...!

I haven't got a pneumatic jockey wheel. but everyone I speak to swears by them if your using a motor mover.

I've lost count how many times people recommended them to me,

Looks like its on your list then. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gaz40

Have just got a pneumatic jockey wheel . .. used it on two trips now. The van runs much straigher on our narrow drive with it and no zig zags on the gravel where we had been either suggesting it is moving more easily.

Don't know why I didn't buy one years ago!

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

my old man is one of the pneumatic converts, he always fits an invalid car tyre if he needs a replacment too. they seem to last longer in the sun presumably as they are grey.

Dave

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Have you remembered to take the handbrake off. If your H/Brake is on and you raise the nose to weigh it then you are putting radial torque on the wheels and this will effectively put more weight on the front. It will have the opposite effect if you lower it.

I have read a few recommendations for the Milenco gauge now, however I have the Maypole one (which I think is cheaper). Is the Maypole one inaccurate? I'm quite happy to spend some more money on a Milenco one if I am not getting an accurate reading.

Has anyone ever had the chance to compare them?

Thanks

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

If buying a pneumatic, I strongly suggest fitting an inner tube as generally they are tubeless tyres and can leak. Also worth remembering is that they require a wide fork than the standard ALKO jockey assembly otherwise the tyre rubs up on the forks.

Don't know what my nose weight is as the nose weight jockey wheel completely collapsed under the weight first time out - the solid tyre went the same way and shed its solid tread - not covered by warranty I am reliably told.

Bought a good branded pneu as a replacement as I'd had one before and been impressed by it over the solid (adds some spring to the front end). This application is OK but the weight of the front end really scrubs and twists the tyre, even though it's up to max pressure. Alarming but it's holding together better than the nose weight one.

As to the nose weight, this van definitely seems to be very heavy compared with similarly loaded past vans. I don't hold back with the front locker etc. but have changed over to gas lite bottles. I know its not very scientific but the way it handles, the force required to raise and lower, all just seem to be heavy. ..

Tug:VW Touareg 4. 2 TDI V8

Tugged: Bucaneer Schooner

Have you remembered to take the handbrake off. If your H/Brake is on and you raise the nose to weigh it then you are putting radial torque on the wheels and this will effectively put more weight on the front. It will have the opposite effect if you lower it.

Mmmmm. ...I have received the millenco nose gauge, haven't used it yet but was reading the distructions and it says "ensure the handbrake is on" before use. ....??.

Now that is opposite to what everyone is saying. ...?

Mmmmm. ...I have received the millenco nose gauge, haven't used it yet but was reading the distructions and it says "ensure the handbrake is on" before use. ....??.

Now that is opposite to what everyone is saying. ...?

I have just done our van this morning and I kept the handbrake on. Too dangerous with it off as the van can move sideways. Follow Milenco's instructions and ignore what people say on here!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

If you feel the need to do it with the hand-brake off, then make sure the wheels are fully chocked.

The absolute accuracy of the gauge is less important than the repeatability. You can check your gauge against a set of bathroom scales and try adding or subtracting some known weights to the drawbar to check what it reads, you then add or subtract any difference.

I find the Millenco very repeatable and it corresponds with my bathroom scales as well, so I'm reasonabaly confident that it's about right. My previous square plastic one was miles out which would have been ok as I could have corrected for it but as it was totally random as well it was useless

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Thanks guys. ....

Try it this way, use the weight gauge as instructions and see what it reads, then if on level ground as it should be done release handbrake and then pull on again to remove any torsion on the wheels.