Darkened Rear Windows

ericfield

I notice a lot of cars with the rear windows darkened for (presumable) security reasons.

My question for those who have it. .....does the darkened window offer any significant sun screening?

My wife is a bit allergic to direct sun and often suffers in hot climates when sitting in the front, as she cannot put a sunblind up across the front passenger window.

Wondered if in such situations she would get protection sitting in the rear with the darkened glass?

I have had privacy glass for many years - first got it when we started a family as it allowed OH to feed babies discreetly in back and it kept the bright sun off them.

Past that stage now but still spec it to keep valuables out of view and I think it keeps the worst of the sun off dog.

IMHO the car still gets warm but not as bad as without and I think it helps with leather interior :unsure:

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Yes, it does shade the rear of the car, but it does cut down visibilty when dark for reversing. Would I get another car with it, probably not.

i have had them on the last 3 cars and wouldnt buy a car without them now.

they do make a huge difference for the kids in the back.

mind you on my current car its pointless for keepinh the car cool as its a black car and heats up like a tin shed on a sunny day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2015 BMW 330d Touring Xdrive pulling A 2014 Bailey Unicorn S2 Cadiz

If a car has A/C it must have tinted windows under regulations to comply energy saving . So it must make a difference .

I like privacy glass in my vehicles at the back as I strip off in the back quite often to put my rubber outfit on . :o

I change into my Wetsuit when going out on my Jetski in the back B)

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The insignia has privacy glass in the rear and honestly I can't answer your question but my observations are that the rear of the car seats, trim etc are cooler than the front if you have had some sun so it must cut something out. The plus side for me is that to see anything in the rear of the car you have to put your nose up to the glass, I don't notice any difference revering at night though as others have said.

Edited by dave11a

If a car has A/C it must have tinted windows under regulations to comply energy saving .

Eh? What regulation is that?

If you don't want to go down the tinted window route you could give these a try www. uvcarshades. co. uk

I have these fitted as well as tinted windows in the rear, fitting and removing them takes a matter of seconds.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I have just reread the o. p and you wouldn't be able to fit these to the front windows as it would be illegal.

You can still tint the front windows but it would be a mild tint only, certainly not anything near "limo black" as you see on the rear windows.

Edited by Tight Tony from Trentside

Land Rover Discovery (2008) 2. 7 tdv6 230bhp finished in Mitsubishi Lightning Blue, 22" Stormer Alloys (full phantom body kit, rear headrest dvd players, front dvd & reversing camera playing thru factory fitted sat nav screen) and following closely, a Bailey Unicorn Barcelona (2012) now fitted with Powrwheel Evolution Allwheel Drive Mover.

Dave,

Where does it say that any car with A/C must have tinted windows ? My Mitsubishi Grandis has A/C but did not have tinted windows - I had it done. Most new cars these days have A/C but don't have tinted windows - I know it's an option but not standard.

I had mine done as, being a people carrier, it has large windows and I wanted it kept cooler for the dogs on the back seat. It does seem to work quite well.

Definitely helps reduce glare yes and ideal if you have kids. Helps to a degree with keeping car cool

Dave,

Where does it say that any car with A/C must have tinted windows ? My Mitsubishi Grandis has A/C but did not have tinted windows - I had it done. Most new cars these days have A/C but don't have tinted windows - I know it's an option but not standard.

I had mine done as, being a people carrier, it has large windows and I wanted it kept cooler for the dogs on the back seat. It does seem to work quite well.

Most cars have tinted windows as standard anyway just not tinted to same degree as the privacy windows OP is asking about

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Somewhere I read that car manufacturers now if a car has A/C it has to have window s tinted to a minimum of 15% to meet energy conservation regulations . i ll See if can find anything but it might of been in a new car brochure .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

going out on my Jetski in the back B)

Dave

those Isuzu's must be bigger than they look!!

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Yes, it does shade the rear of the car, but it does cut down visibilty when dark for reversing. Would I get another car with it, probably not.

Totally agree. My Xtrail came with it and it is the one feature I dislike. Visability in poor light is reduced.

Jim

Unicorn Valencia S1 Xtrail MK4 2. 0DCi

We got both our cars tinted last year. Mainly as the kids didn't like traveling in bright sun.

They are more content and the cars definitely stay cooler.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

If a car has A/C it must have tinted windows under regulations to comply energy saving .

Don't think that is correct as it is an optional extra On the BMW X3 & X5

Honda CRV Series 4 with Elddis Affinity 574

Totally agree. My Xtrail came with it and it is the one feature I dislike. Visability in poor light is reduced.

Jim

Not in the 2009 xtrail I had, the rear visibility on the T31 is poor anyway, but due to thick rear pillars, I never had a problem using the reversing camera, or rear view mirror.

I wouldn't buy a car without it now, standard on the Mazda cx-5 sport, but unfortunately a light shade of tint.

Edited by xtrailman

Not in the 2009 xtrail I had, the rear visibility on the T31 is poor anyway, but due to thick rear pillars, I never had a problem using the reversing camera, or rear view camera.

I wouldn't buy a car without it now, standard on the Mazda cx-5 sport, but unfortunately a light shade of tint.

There are times when I would like a decent view out of the rear side windows. . reversing off my drive for example. That's when I find I dislike it. I agree ref the large rear pillars and the usefulness of the reversing camera.

On the plus side I can open the rear windows from the drivers seat which tends to be what I do.

Having never had tinted windows before I can't say as I find it a major improvement in any way. ... perhaps I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

Jim

Jim

I never use the luggage cover that's permanently off, so I find the tint really useful when I've got the boot full of my fishing tackle etc, especially on site, we use a lot of quiet CL's.

I find both the Xtrail and Mazda poor for over the shoulder view, but again put it down to the thick B pillars, I'll make a point of looking though the rear side window next time I'm in the car.

Edited by xtrailman

Jim

I never use the luggage cover that's permanently off, so I find the tint really useful when I've got the boot full of my fishing tackle etc, especially on site, we use a lot of quiet CL's.

I find both the Xtrail and Mazda poor for over the shoulder view, but again put it down to the thick B pillars, I'll make a point of looking though the rear side window next time I'm in the car.

I put the luggage cover back in mine last summer for a while after we had to have our dog put to sleep. .... thus no dog crate any more.

The cover really is a poxy bit of uselessness isn't it. Oddly the cover on my previous Xtrail seemed better. The current one just gets in the way.

My dog rides in the hatch and on my last two cars I have put a dark tint on the rear screen to keep the sunn off her. It works. The vision out is still fine just not as bright, but looking in or shining a light through is vastly reduced ( by 80% I am told ). As long as I have a dog I will continue to do that.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I made the mistake on one car of fitting black tint and could not see at night reversing - since then I spec factory fit or grey and have not had a problem reversing but still dark enough to do the job B)

On OH's mini we fitted the blind kit and could remove them at night if wanted but managed ok.

Insurance companies are tightening up and you should inform them if retrofitting tints - I was told factory fit or blinds ok. Front sides are likely to result in a police check and penalty :unsure:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Don't think that is correct as it is an optional extra On the BMW X3 & X5

I think you are confusing tinted glass with privacy glass. Most cars nowadays have tinted glass with 70% light transmission as standard. Privacy glass has a light transmission of 35% or less.

Edited by Lutz

My car has it as standard in the back but I can't say it makes any difference except making the rear seat area quite dark even in sunlight. I doubt that it makes much difference to temperature with climate control blasting out cool air and when we have sun the car interior heats up drastically as soon as the engine's switched off. More an affectation than a useful adjunct.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.