Bubbles On Paint Work

We went to look at our caravan last weekend and discover on one side lots of little bubbles on the paint work in different patches. They don't seemed to have gone into holes. The caravan is about 11 years old, we have had it for a year. We contacted the very large caravan company that we purchased it from and they have told us that they haven't seen this before??? Has anyone got any ideas what is causing them please?

post-58493-0-87223800-1395396442_thumb.jpg

post-58493-0-01824100-1395396670_thumb.jpg

post-58493-0-41546600-1395396856_thumb.jpg

post-58493-0-91301400-1395397015_thumb.jpg

No but :welcome: to Caravan Talk and I hope someone has some knowledge on these marks.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Looks like moisture trapped under the paintwork to me. .must have had repair and repaint at some stage. Theres a similar fault in automotive paintwork called Microblistering but its usually finer. Only remedy is flat off and repaint. .. :(

I have seen something similar but not to that scale.

In my case when I pricked one of the bubbles it revealed a hole below, The aluminium skin was corroding.

It was on the roof so I removed the bubbles filled the holes and painted over. Whether it was a long term solution I don't know as I have changed vans,

Hope this is not your problem but you did ask.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Looks like Damp/Corrosion from the inside

And if it is, your Dealer will have seen it before

Edited by wigelywoo

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Looks like corrosion from the inside . Behind each bubble is a hole possibly . I cant see a dealer would not be aware of the signs of bubbles in paint and corrosion . The insulation material holds the damp and the wood allowing the aluminium to corrode through .

I have seen it in a perfect line down the side of a Motorhome where the wood framing battens are . I have wondered if its anything to do with preservatives and steel nail fixings .

If you just carefully look under the paint on a bubble it will show white powder which is the Aluminium corrosion . To correct it if it is corrosion would need to renew the panels .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

its a poor panel paint repair.

from the pictures it doesn't look like oxidisation resulting from water ingress. when panels oxidise they blister and then they begin to powder and crumble.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

I`d better start by saying that I have absolutely no expert knowledge or experience of the bubbling you are experiencing on your paintwork.

The other opinions may well be correct and if you investigate one of the bubbles you will quickly establish whether it is corrosion from the inside.

However, deep breath, the pattern of the bubbles and in particular the fact that the locker door paintwork is also affected to my mind indicates that it may have been caused by an air borne or splashed chemical.

Is your van stored where some sort of accidental splash could have happened ?

Is it just on one side of the van ?

I suggest you scrape off one or two bubbles and see whether the aluminium has corroded under the paint and if it hasn`t make some enquiries at the storage yard. Are other vans affected ?

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

its a poor panel paint repair.

from the pictures it doesn't look like oxidisation resulting from water ingress. when panels oxidise they blister and then they begin to powder and crumble.

If you look at the second picture with the fridge vents the bubbles show signs of being in a straight line which made me think it corrosion rather than a paint problem which would just be random bubbles.

post-58493-0-01824100-1395396670_thumb.j

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Like Reads say a poor panel repair

They look like solvent pops which have absorbed water & over-time expanded either by ice or heat into microblisters, you could poke one of the larger blisters with a pin to rule out corrosion.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Looks like a classic micro blister. It happens when spray equipment is not flushed through before first application or when moisture gets into the paint as it's being applied.

You could prick one of the blisters on the toilet comp door. ...this can be replaced if you make it worse etc

We went to look at our caravan last weekend and discover on one side lots of little bubbles on the paint work in different patches. They don't seemed to have gone into holes. The caravan is about 11 years old, we have had it for a year. We contacted the very large caravan company that we purchased it from and they have told us that they haven't seen this before??? Has anyone got any ideas what is causing them please?

100% poor quality repair. ...you can see the outlines of the filler & primer. I would recommend you return the caravan to the dealer & insist they repair it properly.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Thanks for your help and advice everyone. We called in an expert and he tells us that the caravan has at some time had a paint job which is now bubbling. It's got the wrong bathroom window too??? So we are guessing that it's had an accident at some time. I think that the reason it's bubbling now is we had to move the caravan it because our pitch was becoming a large puddle and that side was then exposed to the little bit sun that we had. Just very relieve that is not an damp problem.