Hair Line Cracks

locker14

Hi . I have just uncovered my van after the winter . It is a swift challenger 530 se (2002) I noticed that on the plastic mould which is the rear of the van a couple of hairline stress cracks have appeared . im just concerned that this could become a bigger issue or am I worrying too much . Has anyone come across this in the past .

also some water leaked from a salt bowel I put out to collect moisture causing a stain on the laminate . any thoughts on cleaning this stain ??tnks

To prevent the crack from going further it is possible to drill very small holes at the very end of the crack.

This can be filled during subsequent repair but still has the effect of stopping it going any further.

You have highlighted the reason why salt bowls are so bad to use in the van.

Out of interest did they actually work? Good air circulation should be all you need.

Re-lamination may be the only real cure.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

To prevent the crack from going further it is possible to drill very small holes at the very end of the crack.

This can be filled during subsequent repair but still has the effect of stopping it going any further.

You have highlighted the reason why salt bowls are so bad to use in the van.

Out of interest did they actually work? Good air circulation should be all you need.

Re-lamination may be the only real cure.

Tnks for your response

the salt works a treat . Its amazing how much water collects in them . I used an old chinese food container which had a tiny crack in it which led to a water escape .

Hi . .these are the cracks I have discovered . I was thinking of drilling very small hole to arrest them . Then using something like tec7 to fill in the cracks and the drill holes . Is this the correct remedy for this problem . I am not skilled at this and a friend will help .

post-34913-0-95966900-1395615047_thumb.jpg

Are you sure those cracks go right through and are not just surface gel cracks. Cracks which go right through generally start from the screw fixings of the panel, but those cracks look to close together for fixing points.

If they are only surface i would not go drilling holes through

Edited by birdman101

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

Hi . .these are the cracks I have discovered . I was thinking of drilling very small hole to arrest them . Then using something like tec7 to fill in the cracks and the drill holes . Is this the correct remedy for this problem . I am not skilled at this and a friend will help .

It looks very much like a poor repair in the past. The cracks need complete removal, filling/painting. ....you can't just spray over cracks I'm afraid.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk