Storm Pegs

Timanita

Hi guys & girls,

Anyone know where I can get REALLY heavy duty awning storm pegs, something like dexion bar or something, experienced some high winds recently, and borrowed some off a mate, but need something really substantial. ....

Any ideas.

Ta

Tim

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

I use dog lead type screws for my tie down straps, although not much good on hard standing

PEG-TETHER.jpg

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Go Outdoors are selling a box of 20 Blue Diamond rock pegs for £9. 90 at the moment if you have their discount card. The pegs come in a small plastic case (better than nothing).

http://www. gooutdoors. co. uk/blue-diamond-hard-ground-box-set-of-20-camping-pegs-p121584

Michael

You don't say what sort of ground you are on, and you need to use a peg that is suitable for the type of ground. A rock peg may be useless on grass, and the best peg for grass may not go into rock. It would help if we knew what type of awning is involved too.

Ern

I made my own REALLY HEAVY DUTY pegs, I bought a length of 40mm x 40mm mild steel angle iron, cut it into 14inch lengths, then using an angle grinder created a point at one end, then I drilled holes in the other end to accept the hooks from the ratchet straps I attached to them, you need a substantial hammer to get them in, something like a 3lb club hammer and a pri bar to extract them, but trust me, they do not move in any ground conditions.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

There are some re-bar type pegs out there around 12"

they may be Marquee pegs they have them at

Kingswood Caravans Bristol, but I did not look at the price ;)

Just found these http://www. outdoormegastore. co. uk/blue-diamond-marquee-pegs. html?gclid=CMD1tOfknL0CFSn4wgod0R0AMA

I made my own REALLY HEAVY DUTY pegs, I bought a length of 40mm x 40mm mild steel angle iron, cut it into 14inch lengths, then using an angle grinder created a point at one end, then I drilled holes in the other end to accept the hooks from the ratchet straps I attached to them, you need a substantial hammer to get them in, something like a 3lb club hammer and a pri bar to extract them, but trust me, they do not move in any ground conditions.

Phil.

I bet getting them out is a so and so :D

Phil.

I asked a local fabrication shop to make me 4 out of 2" angle iron about 16" long with a crossbar welded across the top. In very windy weather I put them in with a quarter hammer and lash the chassis to them, then sleep sound. :)

Phil.

That's exactly the sort of thing I want Paul, shame they don't sell em anywhere. ..

That's exactly the sort of thing I want Paul, shame they don't sell em anywhere. ..

Oops. ..Phil. ..

Its a pity you are not a little closer, I could easily make some up for you, not sure about postage though they are heavy!!

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

On a particularly windy site a guy went off and came

back much later with some huge re-bar stakes that

a local engineering company had made up for him

specially

Phil.

Phil

For the life of me I cannot picture in my mind what you have made up. .. any chance of a photo?

Cheers,

Kev

2004 Land Rover Discovery & 2011 Bailey Pegasus Bologna

HI Kev

I shall endeavour to photograph one in the morning for you.

Phil.

Its a pity you are not a little closer, I could easily make some up for you, not sure about postage though they are heavy!!

Phil.

Thanks for that Phil, where did you get the bar from, if I can get it I'll have a go myself. ....

I just went to my local hardware shop, he sells allsorts like that, failing that you can get it from here

http://www. ebay. co. uk/sch/i. html?_trksid=p3984. m570. l1313. TR2. TRC1. A0. H0. X40mm+angle+iron&_nkw=40mm+angle+iron&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Just one tip, do not drill the holes too close to the end of the bar, after you have hit it a few times with a club hammer, it will fold slightly and distort the hole, hope that makes sense.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

I use a couple of these which are a tee section and about a foot or so long and come with straps.

http://www. caravanaccessoryshop. co. uk/product/isabella-storm-tie-down-kit/2217

Being Isabella, priced accordingly.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I use a couple of these which are a tee section and about a foot or so long and come with straps.

http://www. caravanaccessoryshop. co. uk/product/isabella-storm-tie-down-kit/2217

Being Isabella, priced accordingly.

I use those also but what about Delta which would be ideal for storm guys.

http://www. deltagroundanchors. co. uk/home/a8_Product_Ordering

Sam :beardy:

I have the Dorema storm straps which have substantial pegs included. During the storms last month I was the only caravanner on site using an awning and the storm straps prevented the awning from blowing away. The Dorema storm straps are frequently used on my caravan awning and the pegs have withstood a lot of hammering when pitched on very hard hardstanding. The pegs are also suitable for grass pitches, so long as the pegs are driven into the grass at an appropriate angle.

Ebay currently has several storm straps kits which include the substantial pegs some of which may be cheap enough to buy and use only the pegs if the storm straps do not fit.

• 2 weeks later...