Breathable Ground Sheets

I would be grateful for advice or comments on the pro's and con's of breathable grounds sheets.

Many Sites are only allowing breathable grounds sheet and as I have now purchased a new caravan and new awning I am considering which type of awning ground sheet to use. Do ths breathable type allow mud /rain water thought to the top, ?

I welcome all comments on this subject

Dave

Dave

We also had a new out fit last year. having been caravanning for some 30yrs with the old type of ground sheet. With a family of 3 we never had a problem with wet floor in awning.

With the new outfit came a new breathable groundsheet and wet feet/ mud and wet equipment etc. The answer we found was to use a plastic carpet runner in the main tread areas of the awning on top of the groundsheet.

I have purchased the old type ground sheet to put on top of the breathable one in times of persistant rain.(What price progress) or where the Site permits I will always use the old type groundsheet.

JONO

We too changed to a breathable groundsheet last year. What a waste of time. it's Ok if you are on a dry site and it aint rained for a few weeks, but otherwise all the moisture and mud comes straight through.

On the sites that do not allow the old type, we now put that down and then the breathable one over the top. More comfortable on the feet, and it looks Ok to the site owners at a glance.

We use a breathable ground sheet made by Carpetina. We rarely stay on a grass pitch for more than 5/7 days and it seems to protect the grass quite well. Now surely this is the important thing here is that it protects the grass rather than our feet!! If you put down a solid barrier all this will do is kill the grass for the next person using the pitch! It seems a good case for hardstandings.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

We have the problem that the dogs sleep in the awning, and if we dont use a solid groundsheet, their bedding gets wet, which then leads to other problems. We put a solid sheet under their sleep area during the night, and take it up during the day, along with their bedding, seems to work ok, and the grass seems ok too. However, if its really wet, then I am afraid the solid sheet stays down, seems pointless having an awning in which you are paddling about in mud.

I think our groundsheet is an Isabella Bolon Karo, we got it when we purchased our Bradcott awning. Its not cheap, but it was the one that we liked.

We tend to use hardstandings where possible, having been on a site in our old van where everything and it dog came up though our old type of breathable gorundsheet due to the rain that almost lasted a week, not a pleasant experience.

Regards

Trevor

We have the problem that the dogs sleep in the awning, and if we dont use a solid groundsheet, their bedding gets wet, which then leads to other problems.

Our two labradors sleep in the awning in a dog crate which has a tough plastic base insert.

If we don't use the awning (on short breaks) or if we take the awning down the day before leaving, we then throw a tarpalin/groundsheet over the dogs' crate to keep the wind /rain out.

Hi,

We use the breathable groundsheet which we used in our frame tent. We bought it from our local caravan supplies shop. By sheer luck it fits our new porch awning almost perfectly. Two weeks on a green pitch and the grass was still green. However, it was a very wet fortnight and we splashed out of the caravan every time. A couple of rubber car mats in strategic places helped. Another thing we found was that worms tend to come up through the groundsheet :unsure:

A couple of these posts seem to in the vein of 'I'm alright Jack'

If everyone used a breathable groundsheet, then there would be veryt few muddy patches as the grass would absorbe the moisture and provide a cushion between the ground sheet and soil. There would be no smell of rotting vegitation as the grass died, The fields would be green instead of a patchwork of yellow(dying grass) and brown (muddy patches).

We have used breathable ground sheets for the past 15 or so years. When we leave the site, the only trace of a awning tends to be a narrow strip where the mud flaps of the awning tend to cover.

As for the dogs beds, there are two foot square interlocking foam tiles now on sale. They are for use on laminate flooring . Put them under the beds at night and they are easy enough to lift during the day. We also use them in the porch awning on hard standing as protection for our feet. They can be put down as a walkway at the entrance to the awning. Very easy to move around, easy to clean and are waterproof. They are also very light for the weight concious.

We have been in rain storms abroad where there has been two feet of water in the awnings. The solid ground sheets floated before they sank and the awing contents were in a considerable worse state than the breathable ones which allowed the water to drain back through.

A couple of these posts seem to in the vein of 'I'm alright Jack'..................

6032[/snapback]

There is a lot of that about. ...................I have often had people complain about a pitch with little grass, then choose a lush grass area, and then proceed to destroy that. Somewhat selfish to say the least.

I would hasten to add that tenters with tents/sewn in groundsheets are caught in a trap.

Guest john1215

If I'm given the choice then I'll go on a hardstanding if there aren't any and it is wet/muddy then so be it, I knew this could be the case may years ago before I bought the van so I cope, I have a breathable ground sheet that the mud comes through, it is kind to the grass and I/we just cope as we have always done, whatever the weather you adapt!!

john1215

• 1 month later...

We have a breathable ground sheet in our awning on our seasonal pitch. We left the awning up last autumn and when we returned, about two weeks later, some anonymous little animals had chewed patches of the ground sheet! Serves us right for not taking up our ground sheet I suppose!

• 4 weeks later...
I would be grateful for advice or comments  on the pro's and con's of breathable grounds sheets.

Many Sites are only allowing breathable grounds sheet  and as I have now purchased a new caravan and new awning I am considering which type of awning ground sheet to use. Do ths breathable  type allow mud /rain water  thought to the top, ?

I welcome all comments  on this subject

Dave

5753[/snapback]

Caravan clubs rules are that all groundsheets should be lifted every 48 hours anyway so what dose it matter!

Caravan clubs rules are that all groundsheets should be lifted every 48 hours anyway so what dose it matter!

21171[/snapback]

The problem is, how many empty the awning contents outside, lift the groundsheet for the day before refitting the awning with all its contents. The next time I see this will be the first in my 25 years membership.

Guest Hobbybod
I would be grateful for advice or comments  on the pro's and con's of breathable grounds sheets.

Many Sites are only allowing breathable grounds sheet  and as I have now purchased a new caravan and new awning I am considering which type of awning ground sheet to use. Do ths breathable  type allow mud /rain water  thought to the top, ?

I welcome all comments  on this subject

Dave

5753[/snapback]

Dave, I've copied a reply to a similar thread on another forum

Lovely sunny day, so I think "oh I'll clean off the ground sheet and it'll dry out nicely in the sunshine."

Now this ground sheet is the fancy Bolon, very close weave, breathable stuff, (normally pricey, but cheap from you know where!). Trouble is that mud sticks to the weave and is the very devil to get off. Even with the site's high pressure washer, I had to resort to brushing it with a stiff brush whilst washing. Took a good 30min to do both sides (one worse than the other as I try to keep one side mucky and one side clean).

Even when I spread it out on the concrete to dry, I could see that there were still mud-stained areas. It dried quite quickly so I put it in the roof box ready for the wilds of Kent! I also have an old non-breathable one, which does go underneath the Bolon, only very occasionally. Naughty I know,  :(  but there's only so much mud cleaning I 'm prepared to do!!

Even with this fancy close weave type, when you walk on it, and the ground is moist, the moisture will come through onto your feet.

With dryish grass, sand etc. it's great, but any wet mud, worm casts etc, then the mud sticks to the weave pretty tenaciously where its been walked on.