New Affinity 530 Tomorrow

agzy

Midday tomorrow is handover time of my new van up At Campbell's and, after reading some of the posts on this forum, I understand that the main concerns are:- IC water pump hot water surge, back panel cracks, TV antenna/reception and nose weight. Asking dealer staff for views on these issues probably won't help much but are there any specific questions or queries present owners wish they had raised at the time or indeed I should raise tomorrow? I know from experience that handover procedures vary from dealer to dealer and it is easy for things to slip under the radar so I am preparing a list of things to ensure are asked as at my age my memory sometimes let's me down. Any help with list would be appreciated, thanks.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Agzy,

• I believe the 2014 vans have new modified rear panels fitted, so hopefully you should be OK, ours is going for a warranty repair next month - the ones that have split are all in the same place - right on the bottom of the panels in the extreme corners
  • The Whale engineer came had a look at the shower hot water surge issue when he sorted or heating, said it was down to the system not having been previously calibrated properly. I thought it should would / should have been done at PDI, but apparently not! So that could a question for you to ask
  • Not sure if yours has the Avtex TV aerial, personally we've had no issues with it at all. It's worked fine for us where ever it's been, even in France
  • Nose weight - or limit is 90kg, I carry two calor light cylinders and leveling blocks etc in the front, when we take our full awning, we carry it on / just to the the rear of the axle to balance it.
  • You may find the iDC a little bit keen at first, but this is just the new brakes bedding in, ours is hardly noticeable now.

Got to say though, it tows beautifully, our Avante is the best towing van we've had

Hi Agzy

Hopefully your rear panel will be OK, I would be amazed if you discover any issues with it on collection. All that you can do is keep a close eye on it for the first year and report any issues to your dealer. The cracks have occurred on both lower rear corners and at the top on the near side just behind the awning rail.

The same applies to the TV antenna really, all you can do is test it at the sites where you use your van. Some members have reported that it works fine and others like myself have had quite a few problems. I have been to about 8 different sites with my van since May 2013 and have only had reliable reception at one of them. I have always been able to tune in most channels but the signal breaks up frequently. My dealer has now fitted an Avtex supplied booster which I have yet to test.

The IC system should be calibrated using the cold supply to the shower, there was an update to the procedure issued by Whale and I would think that your dealer would have done this during the PDI. I had a visit from a Whale engineer and after doing this the shower issue was slightly better but certainly not resolved. The Whale engineer told me that it was a known issue and all that they could do was to remove the IC controller. I decided to stick with it until they found a permanent solution. He told me that I would be informed when they have made a design change to the system which fixes it.

I have a feeling that some people suffer with this issue to a lesser or greater extent depending on the layout of their caravan. All I can tell you is that after having a visit from a Whale engineer I still have the issue in my 530. I would be very interested to know how you get on with yours. To be clear the temperature fluctuation occurs when switching the shower off and back on. Sometimes it is OK, but about 1 in 3 times you get a spike of pure hot water. It's not safe enough for my young daughter to use on her own.

One other thing to watch out for is the black plastic hooks on the side dinette table, the ones that secure the table to the wall. On our van these hooks had some sharp edges on them and we ended up damaging the wallpaper when refitting the table. A quick trim with a Stanley knife fixed it :).

We ordered the additional shelving pack with ours but Elddis just left them under the front bed with no protective wrapping. They were damaged and had to be replaced. You then have to cut them yourself (or get the dealer to do it) and none of the cupboards are the same size.

Other minor issues we have had. .. bathroom door handle makes a loud creaking noise (enough to wake my daughter up) and the whale socket came away from the side panel after 3 trips away.

Good luck with your hand over, I am sure everything will be fine :).

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Hi Agzy,

I ordered an Affinity 550 from Campbell's at the February show. I have had three Elddis vans my current one from new, is now 13 years old and has been problem free.

I think you are wasting your time asking any questions regarding any caravan because they either won't know the answer or are economical with the truth. I spoke to David Whitehead at the show who said there was no problem with the rear panels, it was not a stress problem?

I am due to collect mine mid May, this should be something to look forward to, looking at some postings I am not so sure, good luck with your new van. 😃

Ian

Edited by Iano

Our problem with the 530 is that there is not a caravan out there that we like better. We traded in our lovely twin axle Compass Rallye with no faults at all for the 530 so we are very upset and stressed with the faults that we now have have. Hopefully you will not have the same problems we have had, and hopefully not the same dealer. Things to check for on collection are the bodywork (I missed a bodywork dent and could kick myself). Check it very carefully. Check the cabinetry. We had peeling doors and doors that are still binding on the cabinet frame. Also some of the doors are not straight. Check the airing cupboard left side panel. Ours bows outwards in the centre. Also where the dividing wall to the bathroom is, check the panel to the left of the bathroom door is fastened to the ceiling, ours isn't. The other problems are well documented in these forums. I wish you a much better experience than we have had.

Thanks guys, feel a little more confident about the quality etc now but hope that is there are problems, a) I can live with them for a month or so. B) Hope nothing requires urgent attention as I can't see Elddis or Campbell's jetting off to Holland to help out somehow. The TV won't be an issue for nearly six weeks as we will be using the Sat dish and humax for the tele presuming freesat is still available in Holland.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.