Pegasus 534 Alarm P I R

G-a-r-y

I just fitted new batteries to the the PIR as a matter of course.

I returned to the house and the alarm went off.

I took the cover off and refitted the batteries, it now appears to be silent.

What might I have done wrong?

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

Fitted the batteries the wrong way round? The direction is moulded into the inside of the case.

Also your alarm should only ever be activated when the caravan is not in use, empty and locked up, otherwise you might incur the wrath of Tracker!

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

The alarm doesn't activate tracker, the two are essentially separate systems.

Only the movement sensor activates tracker. I'm happy to be corrected, but there have been lots of posts on the subject in and around 2011.

The alarm is activated by the PIR which is very poor, not very sensitive, and a movement sensor that is very good, very sensitive.

I get a discount on my insurance as the sensor also does the same as a tilt switch, try jacking the caravan up with the alarm on, it will sound.

As to the original question, I don't know, the only problem I've had in the early days was the batteries coming out while towing, sorted by packing with a little bit of sponge.

Hi Gary,

It's likely that PIR wants resetting, I do this by removing the battery/batteries located within the PIR casing and snapping them back into the holder. I have found if the battery is allowed to connect and disconnect then reconnect it may upset the PIR resetting sequence. which impacts on the tracker system.

Regarding the sensitivity of the unit, most PIR's have a count system to avoid spurious activations, and this could appear that the unit is not as sensitive as expected, but is most likely to be normal.

Regards Terry

The anti tamper spring in them is a pain ours kept going off so changed the battery then the same as you. I rang tracker and had a good chat with a chap there and he told my to just stretch the spring about 1 to 2mm and it should be fine, a common problem he said. I stretched the spring slightly and it works fine now no alarms unless an intentional test or taking the cover of the pir when armed problem solved for us.

I suspect I took too long when refitting the PIR, it sprang in and out a few times and may have got confused?

When I refitted it the second time I was much quicker. I clipped it in and heard the micro switch click. I kept pressure on it whilst fitting the screw. It hasn't gone off since.

BTW, does it have a tilt sensor?

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

I suspect I took too long when refitting the PIR, it sprang in and out a few times and may have got confused?

When I refitted it the second time I was much quicker. I clipped it in and heard the micro switch click. I kept pressure on it whilst fitting the screw. It hasn't gone off since.

BTW, does it have a tilt sensor?

Unless they have changed them no the tracker part not the alarm side has a movement sensor, the CC accepted this as a tilt sensor after talking to them when I first insured the van through them.

The movement sensor works on my 2011 unicorn alarm, I haven't renewed the tracker since the first year.

If you tilt the caravan with the alarm armed, the siren will sound.