Sky In France

Excuse my ignorance but why is the Sky dish an oval shape, can you use a circular dish instead. Going back to Loire again this year and have read the endless comments on this site about loss of signal, will the Sky dish have to be increased in size and to what size. I have also got a conventional satellite box with a small dish which worked well last year, however I appreciate that it will struggle this year. So is it better to use Sky than conventional satellite systems as I have a spare Sky receiver and would I get all the sports channels, not worried about soaps. , only going to Normandy and Loire so not travelling south too far.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

Very hit and miss if you can receive stations on the UK beam now in much of Europe and Sky are moving some Sky channels onto the UK beam so this is a changing story every week now until the switch over is fully complete.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Excuse my ignorance but why is the Sky dish an oval shape, can you use a circular dish instead. ..........

No. It has to be wider on its sides than its height. Otherwise there is a chance that the dish will pick up neighbouring satellite, especially with dishes around 45cms.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'd go for about 90 cm or there abouts. Plenty of reception reports on the web now for Astra2E carrying BBC, ITV etc and I'd be very surprised if you could not get those channels with a 90 cm dish in the Loire.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

You will probably get away with a 65cm dish in the Loire. A friend of mine lives in the Lot and he gets everything on Astra 2 with a zone 2 Sky dish. Not sure what it's like in heavy rain and dense cloud.

2013 Honda CR-V EX iDTEC; 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

. So is it better to use Sky than conventional satellite systems as I have a spare Sky receiver and would I get all the sports channels, not worried about soaps. , only going to Normandy and Loire so not travelling south too far.

It doesn’t really matter whether you use a Sky type dish or a conventional "round" type (slightly wider than tall type dish).

What is important is that with the Sky type dishes you need to use an LNB designed to match these oval shaped dishes.

That is why I prefer the conventional "round" shaped dishes because you have the option to buy much bigger dishes than Sky Zone 2 together with a far wider choice of LNB to suit them.

It’s all in the shape of the throat m’dear!

Having said all that, a Sky dish will work with a Freesat receiver and a "round" dish will work with a Sky box!

With the birth of Astra 2E last month, the need for slightly bigger dishes has now become necessary.

Previously a 60cm (wide) conventional "round" dish would suffice down as far as the Dordogne, today you will need something in the region of an 80 or 90cm dish (as Kontiki has already said).

Way down near the Med. , you might even need a 1. 1m or 1. 2m dish and in Barcelona even Jodrell Bank would struggle to pick up the Freesat spot beam :lol: however if you continue further south to Valencia an 80cm will get you most of what you want in the way of channels!

It’s all a bit of a mess these days!

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Thanks for all the useful info, for once answered all my questions.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

A point that I have noted here before but many people miss. The 'Sky' dish is specifically designed to only just work in the UK, hence why there is a Zone 1 dish (equiv 43cm) for most of England, Wales and NI, and a Zone 2 dish (equiv 55cm) for the very north of England/borders and all of Scotland.

If you can wait, get one from a DIY shed when you get over there - Leroy Merlin or Bricoman are good starters. For a 60cm dish complete with a half decent LNB and 10m of cable you will pay about E30-E35: for a 80cm dish you will pay about E40-E45. You will need a tripod to fit it on - I bought a worklight stand without the lights for E12. You DO NOT need to have the dish in the air, it will work perfectly well at ground level provided it has a clear view about 30deg upwards from horizontal and around 150deg bearing. I would suggest you take qty4 5mm and qty4 6mm wingnuts with you - it makes mounting the dish much easier and wingnuts seem to be unknown in France. You will also need qty2 10mm spanners to allow the dish to be tilted. An optical compass is a good idea.

Finally, if you can stretch to the cost, buy yourself something like a Humax Freesat receiver. Sky boxes are heavily ba5tardi5ed (work it out) from the original unit on which they are based and are notoriously deaf. Better still buy a Visonic from the same DIY shed. They have the advantage that they put out a tone on the SCART audio when being set up, the tone increasing in (stepped) pitch as the signal increases - it makes setup a doddle. The Visonic will also get you other sats including Astra1 at 19. 2E if you cannot get the UK beams. It will give you BBC World Service TV (rubbish) and CNN (the world according to the Merkins*) in English which is better than nowt if you want to keep up with the news.

*Merkins? Surely you have heard the expression "I'm a-merkin. ..?" OK, have it your way.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville