Retro Fit 2014 Blown Air Heating?

Does anyone know (esp the techie guys on here) how feasible it would be to retro fit a 2014 blown air heater (i. e. Truma blown air heater, propex) in place of the Ultraheat?

I have a toddler and the hot fire front is a bit of a hazard (use a fireguard) and a blown heater only would be far safer.

We have the truma blown air ducting already, so I guess we could use this?

In theory you could do it, but cost would be very high for Truma parts. Contact Trauma they are very helpful. The other option is a low cost electric fan heater left on a worktop out of reach? £15. 00 !

In theory you could do it, but cost would be very high for Truma parts. Contact Trauma they are very helpful. The other option is a low cost electric fan heater left on a worktop out of reach? £15. 00 !

Phew, that's a bit pricey

£9. 99 in Argos! :P

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

The only blown air heaters I have seen are the Truma and the Whale. The Whale unit is slung under the floor so only needs a 150mm square hole cutting in the floor for the ducting and wiring to come through, this saves on cupboard space but the units are not the quietest around. Not sure whether the Truma vents through the floor or the van wall but both heaters will cost over £650 to install from new. Buying second hand may drop the cost but some of these units had problems so a warranty would be advisable. The job of fitting one is not beyond someone with a good diy skill and a sound knowledge of electrics and gas. Don't know anything about the propex units so can't advise there.

Edited by Capricorn12

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

£650 is a lot of notes, but it less than the amount id lose part-ex'ing my very loved van.

Expense is subjective dependant on what you compare something to.

£650 vs £30 is a increased difference. Yes.

£650 vs £1000 (+ next van depreciation) is a saved differance.

Anyone know where I can source such heaters?

I would check ebay or caravan breakers, Bailey caravans had the whale system for a while i believe and I know some have needed to be scrapped do to problems repairing after damage.

We have the whale system and on high the heater outlet can get very hot to touch. But I would think it would be an easy job to fit the unit if you decide to go ahead.

Or maybe rethink the fan heater of course it would only work on electric. Maybe wall mount a bathroom fan heater? Or if you have a cupboard under the front unit an inset fan heater subject to space air flow etc,.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

If you ever have any queries or concerns about your Whale product, use or installation please do not hesitate to contact us.

Whale Heater Support

7 Days a Week

Tel: 0845 217 2933

E-mail: ivan@whalepumps. com

We look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

Aoiffe

Whale support Team

Hi Aoiffe,

I have emailed that address 3 times with no reply to a query about how noisy my heater should be in my Bailey Orion.

Do you have another email I could use at all?

Thanks

John

Hi Aoiffe,

I have emailed that address 3 times with no reply to a query about how noisy my heater should be in my Bailey Orion.

Do you have another email I could use at all?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Apologies for the lack of response. Please e-mail me directly at ahealy@whalepumps. com and I will forward your query to the correct person.

Many thanks,

Aoiffe