Recent Changes To Annual Service

Johnaldo

I’ve just had the third service on my Alpine 4, and noticed a couple of innovations since last year. I’d be interested in your comments.

Firstly, they’ve included a “closed-room carbon monoxide check”. This involved running all the gas appliances for 15 minutes with the van shut up. The sensor takes readings every minute, and it records the levels of CO on a print-out. I’m glad to say mine recorded 15 zeros (I think that’s “parts per million”). I do use a CO detector, but it’s very reassuring to have confirmation that it’s working correctly.

Secondly, there are no longer any percentage figures written on the caravan-shaped diagram for the dampness check – simply a tick to confirm all the readings were below 15%. As I think we all know, you’ll never get readings much below this figure due to the inherent “wetness” in the various materials making up the caravan’s body. There will be variations in the readings depending on the weather . .. so they are trying to avoid customers being anxious about increased readings when there is no need to worry. Readings above 15% will be recorded. If they are 15% - 20% you will be advised to re-check in 3 months. Above 20% identifies areas “possibly needing remedial work”. And over 30% implies “structural damage”.

John

Mine was serviced last week and dealer hasnt specified monoxide test. ..but my mobile man does. .Damp as found, in my case 30 &40%…………

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Sorry to hear about the damp, Geoff (although 'damp' is somewhat of an understatement) - how old is your Challenger?

John

Sorry to hear about the damp, Geoff (although 'damp' is somewhat of an understatement) - how old is your Challenger?

John

5 years. ...........It was checked last year and had three spots, 28%, 30% 26%....I was rechecked by dealer three months after ( hot summer remember) and all those readings had dropped significantly. .......one of them is still less than 15% but a section near front window and above toilet window show those higher figures. .........dealer request into Swift this week. ..we shall see. .....they have been decent on other warranty matters. ..funny thing I have in front of me a Caravan Club Survey form on the model to complete and return soon!

Frankly, if dealers didn't do Protimeter checks one wouldn't know anything amiss.

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I’ve just had the third service on my Alpine 4, and noticed a couple of innovations since last year. I’d be interested in your comments.

Firstly, they’ve included a “closed-room carbon monoxide check”. This involved running all the gas appliances for 15 minutes with the van shut up. The sensor takes readings every minute, and it records the levels of CO on a print-out. I’m glad to say mine recorded 15 zeros (I think that’s “parts per million”). I do use a CO detector, but it’s very reassuring to have confirmation that it’s working correctly.

Secondly, there are no longer any percentage figures written on the caravan-shaped diagram for the dampness check – simply a tick to confirm all the readings were below 15%. As I think we all know, you’ll never get readings much below this figure due to the inherent “wetness” in the various materials making up the caravan’s body. There will be variations in the readings depending on the weather . .. so they are trying to avoid customers being anxious about increased readings when there is no need to worry. Readings above 15% will be recorded. If they are 15% - 20% you will be advised to re-check in 3 months. Above 20% identifies areas “possibly needing remedial work”. And over 30% implies “structural damage”.

John

Sounds like the new school results system were they do not fail but are told they are not ready yet to soften the results.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Sounds like the new school results system were they do not fail but are told they are not ready yet to soften the results.

Dave

:D:D

Had ours serviced a couple of weeks ago by an approved mobile caravan engineer. He did the carbon monoxide test with everything closed up (tried to offer him a mug of tea at the time and wasn't aloud in the van).

Also did the full damp test but still used percentage numbers and as stated the readings where slightly different in places to last year due to the weather on the day. High readings in the shower but nothing to worry about for a 13 year old van.

Other than that clean bill of health and the CM test gives you piece of mind.

SteveMLewis

Usually drinking cider somewhere B)

Most mobiles like myself have been including the co test in the service for a few years at no extra cost and it's a full 30 minute test with a print out given to the customer, not a lot of dealers are offering this test as the equipment is expensive and requires a yearly re calibration and it adds extra time to the service but in my mind if your dealer or mobile service is not offering this test then find one that is as carbon monoxide kills .

Olympic caravan services.
Approved mobile workshop covering wrexham northwales shropshire and west cheshire.

mob 07827738671 land line 01978 710 943

www.olympiccaravanservices.com    enquiries@olympiccaravanservices.com

is this test done with the cooker/grill/oven running or not?

And with all vents,windows and rooflights sealed up?

Done inside or out with totally still air?

what if it is a bit breezy?

What readings do you issue a fail and what do you do about it?

I hope these can be answered so i can sleep in my bed at night.

As you may gather i have never done this test and dont suppose i ever will. It has never been mentioned on any Gas-Safe course nor is it on any Gas-Safe landlord certs i have issued (except under building regs but you seal the room up for that) Nor is it on my AWS schedule or part of any AWS exam. Nor any manufacturers schedule or PDI requirements.

Iis it just to impress the customer? Seems a bit of a made up thing so ill sit with the Commander. .

Non recorded reading for damp have been around for a while and really save on a cluttered report.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

is this test done with the cooker/grill/oven running or not?

And with all vents,windows and roof lights sealed up?

Done inside or out with totally still air?

what if it is a bit breezy?

What readings do you issue a fail and what do you do about it?

I hope these can be answered so i can sleep in my bed at night.

As you may gather i have never done this test and dont suppose i ever will. It has never been mentioned on any Gas-Safe course nor is it on any Gas-Safe landlord certs i have issued (except under building regs but you seal the room up for that) Nor is it on my AWS schedule or part of any AWS exam. Nor any manufacturers schedule or PDI requirements.

Iis it just to impress the customer? Seems a bit of a made up thing so ill sit with the Commander. .

Non recorded reading for damp have been around for a while and really save on a cluttered report.

Dougie,

1/ As I said at the top of the page "This involved running all the gas appliances for 15 minutes with the van shut up".

2/ Not sure how the weather outside makes any difference.

3/ I didn't ask what the failure level was. ( I think I've heard 10ppm, but don't quote me).

4/ It certainly impressed me.

5/ I don't understand the comment "Seems a bit of a made up thing so ill sit with the Commander".

6/ How long is "a while"?

John

Edited by Johnaldo

I was told by my service engineer that anything over 9ppm continuous is a fail. All appliances are running and all doors / windows / vents are shut.

It certainly gave me piece of mind whilst sleeping at night. Surely this should be something that is included in all services. .......as a previous post commented. ....carbon monoxide kills !!!

SteveMLewis

Usually drinking cider somewhere B)

im not criticising anybody who does this test but i have never been taught to do it. I have asked but been told it is not possible to do it in a caravan and a waste of time. I think the MCEA course talk about it. as it seems to be their guys who do it, but gas-safe dont mention it.

A caravan is a big box full of holes, when the air moves outside it also move inside the caravan,therefore halfway through a teat on a breezy day the air in the van might be completey dhanged, the only way would be to seal up all the vents. and rooflights etc. Then you could not run the cooker as this would cause oxygen depletion leading to incomplete conbustion and a high co reading. All appliances except for the cooker are sealed from the against fumes getting into the interior (room-sealed) and are individually FGA (flue gas analised) then no further action need be taken if results are within either manufacturers or British Standard tolerance. (35ppm) most fridges run at about 70ppm

The cooker as an open flue device can be checked visually for flame picture, but a free flame is more noxious than a flame under a pot so the base of a pan can be used to see if a flame is bad, grills are a bit different.

a caravan ventilation is designed to cope with a cooker being used with dooors and windows closed and the number of berths, You dont have the cooker on when you are sleeping. And how many caravans have the fridge flue in the awning.

Just an aside, Candles emit more CO ppm than LPG appliances

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN