New Family To Caravanning

cslht

Hi,

I've just registered after buying my first caravan, although i've being a lurker here for some time.

We're a family of 4 and have just today fetched home a 1988/89 5 berth Avondale Perle custom, which we intend to tow using a 2006 Ford Mondeo, although we haven't actually got the towbar yet and had to get a friend to collect it for us.

We've been using Havens static caravans for a few years but decided we would like our own tourer, the sticky point always being my drivers licence that is a little restrictive being as i passed in 2002 so need to comply with the associated post-1997 rules.

In all honesty it was a bit of an impulse purchase on eBay and we got it very cheap, and to be fair it's in really good condition, needed a good clean though!!

It has a Carter Trumatic SB1800 gas heater, Carver Cascade 2 (gas only) water heater and a 3 way fridge of some sort possibly electrolux. It all apparently works although I've not tried it and apart from a brief test I'll get it all the gas properly serviced before we go out. I'm mechanically and electrically mined so I'm going to sort all the dodgy wiring and sort the brakes.

The van came with no documents and I'm struggling to get any info on it, I can't find any makers plates in the usual places altough i've not looked under the a-frame fairing yet. I've found a small plaque above the door but it only has a serial number on it which starts 88 so I'm assuming its a 1988 model. My main concern is the weights to make sure I can tow it, I know I'm going to eventually need to do my B+E test if we want to get bigger vans etc but would like to at least have a play in this caravan first!!

:welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'll move this to the Avondale section where it may get more notice.

You certainly need to get the make, model and hopefully year of the 'van to find out its weight details for towing.

At worst a few pictures posted in the Avondale section may help others to recognize it,

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

:welcome:

As you have been lurking did younotice the "Avondale" section

He may well have noticed the 'Avondale' section but might have thought like I did that it was a more general introduction posting rather than a specific Avondale query!

I will add my welcome and although now have a Sterling used to have an Avondale Perle Orion - our first van and loved it. Feel free to ask any questions.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/forum/16-avondale-caravans/

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Welcome, As you are good with electrics. ... Please for the love of all that is holly make sure you specify your electrical requirements for your towbar supply exactly to your requirements. It's a minefield out there.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I know as much about computers as I know about caravans Im afraid and I cant find where to post my Hello and help questions? thankyou.

welcome along we are exactly the same, a family of 4 and only just bought our very first 5 berth caravan, just an older cheaper one for a couple of grand to see if we like it, hopefully will get away for the first time ever in a couple of week in the Easter holidays, maybe going to head down to eye mouth way for a few days to test it all out lol.

Grant

totally new to all this bought our first cheap van and here to learn!!