Danger From Water Bottles

On our pitch in Portugal I recently started putting 5lt water bottles on the mud walling on the awning and the utility tent doors to stop feral cats getting in.

I now find that the sun’s rays have burnt holes in the plastic mud walls. I have seen these plastic water containers used for this for many years, but beware there is a lot of heat built up under them.

This could be particularly dangerous if there was dry vegetation around.

Toyota Landcruiser and Fleetwood Heritage 640 ES(T)

I assume plastic mud walls are the awning skirts.

And I am guessing the burning comes because the water bottle can act like a lens and magnify the suns rays and burn a hole.

I believe it has also happened in caravans with sunlight falling on items on the front table causing burns or fires.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You have filled the bottles with water haven't you? It's a well known way to repell cats, and I have done it myself, but I have never come across this problem with the sun.

Ern

Are you using the water to repel cats or the bottles to weigh down the mud wall so they cant sneak under. If the later you could fill with sand although it is extra weight to carry.

Edited by Brocher12

I remember my next door neighbour put these out to repel cats. One day, I smelled smoke. .. Went out to find her front garden on fire! These bottles started the fire. Needless to say she doesn't use them anymore!

Caravanless. ...

I used the bottles filled with water to weigh down the plastic mud wall. I have always done this but we had a Bradcot awning and the mud wall is on theinside so no problem. Our new awing is a Ventura with the mud wall on the outside.

We have a couple of old Lidle outdoor mats and I put one of the bottles on that and it was melted as well. If the suns rays are hot enough to melt the plastic, it is also fire hazard on dry grass etc.

Edited by Grease Monkey

Toyota Landcruiser and Fleetwood Heritage 640 ES(T)

Did you never play with magnifying glasses, spherical glass paperweights, or test tubes of water in the labs at school setting fire to bits of paper and the like? :ph34r:

The bottle acts as a lens to concentrate the sun's rays!!! :blink:

Cover them with something opaque and it won't happen.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

It's difficult to understand why, what is described has happened, when you consider you can boil water in a plastic container over an open flame but the bottle doesn't melt, why should the plastic beneath a bottle of water melt but the bottle remain intact?

knarf

If you are where I think you are we were pestered 2 years running by the owners cat spending the night in our awning and crying to to be let in. However since my wife has a problem with birds the cat did serve as a deterrent to the magpies.

Edited by David in Cheshire

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We still use solar showers for when we come off the beach, these get very hot too. I've also had a awning burnt by a reflection I'll try to find the pictures

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Our awning has been burnt in Almeria I was unable to work out why, now I know.