Living In My 'van: Best Gas Solution

tictag

OK, so I'm thinking about living in my 'van. I don't want to debate the pros and cons of council tax versus site fees etc because in my experience gas is the principle cost (especially during winter).

Calor are a non-starter. Too heavy. Too bureaucratic. Too stuck in the past.

I currently use Flogas gaslight 10kg cylinders because I like being able to have two cylinders in my front locker and worrying more about my coffee machine than their impact on my payload. But at £32. 99 a go and only being available at Homebase i'm thinking there must be a better solution.

LPG gas on the forecourt appears to be a cost effective option but the health and safety naysayers (and UK LPG) seem to signal avoid. Safefill might be a nice option if they were a little cheaper and there were more 'safefill ready' sites.

In terms of the principle energy use (i. e. LPG gas), what's the best, most cost-effective solution for living permanently in a caravan?

p. s. Whilst I abhor the use of fossil-fuels, my 600W solar solution does not cover usage during Winter and I have to rely on gas to keep me warm and top-up my batteries.

All our travelling friends use 47kg calor and autochange valve. We used to use this but are now on a 3000 litre tank but it may be a problem having it installed depending on site. Whats wrong with calor?

OK, so I'm thinking about living in my 'van. I don't want to debate the pros and cons of council tax versus site fees etc because in my experience gas is the principle cost (especially during winter).

Calor are a non-starter. Too heavy. Too bureaucratic. Too stuck in the past.

I currently use Flogas gaslight 10kg cylinders because I like being able to have two cylinders in my front locker and worrying more about my coffee machine than their impact on my payload. But at £32. 99 a go and only being available at Homebase i'm thinking there must be a better solution.

LPG gas on the forecourt appears to be a cost effective option but the health and safety naysayers (and UK LPG) seem to signal avoid. Safefill might be a nice option if they were a little cheaper and there were more 'safefill ready' sites.

In terms of the principle energy use (i. e. LPG gas), what's the best, most cost-effective solution for living permanently in a caravan?

We found purchasing the large 45kg bottle the best option especially if you are using gas for heating. We lived in our caravan permanently for 2 1/2 years in 2006 - 2008. Gas is the least of your worries as you will struggle to get insurance on the caravan and have to tell some white lies.

Hi.

Safefill Stoke on Trent. Initial outlay £140 ?X2. self refills at loads f outlets nation wide easy. Just an idea,worked for us and you still have the bottles when you start "hedgebumping" again,RESULT.

Hedgebumper

Do you stay on one site or have to move around?

Would a bulk supply tank bring the cost down?

I'm thinking of moving around. Initially around Greater Manchester when I get back to work but my job generally takes me all over the place and I don't have a family of my own so I'm thinking of living around wherever the work takes me.

The comments around the large bottles and tanks seems to be a great way of cutting the costs but I think I like the safefil option a little more because it's a better fit with moving with work and, when I do eventually return to bricks and mortar, I can continue using them for touring.

An interesting point about insurance but I'll not develop it further in this forum as it is off topic.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Friend spent five years in 'van. ..only considers 13kg Calor as can get it anywhere where not possible fill alternatives like Safefill. ..

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Why? Are there different 'types' of LPG, like 95 and 98 octane petrol? I thought there was just butane and propane and all propane was refined to the same standard.

Why? Are there different 'types' of LPG, like 95 and 98 octane petrol? I thought there was just butane and propane and all propane was refined to the same standard.

sure i have read on here 'filling stn' lpg is a mix of the two.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Be aware that if you use Lpg intended for vehicles (self fill tanks) it's not recommended for the Alde 3010 central heating boiler.

It would help to know why, I know it "is" done.

I can see it not being a wise choice in countries where automotive fuel LPG contains a significant percentage of butane, but here in the UK is virtually 100% propane.

The butane blends having issues in sub 6 degree temperature of fully evaporating the butane, so consequently over several refills to "choke" with residual butane.

Hi.

If this is so,there must be a lot of people on the continent who are oblivious to the fact that "Their" gas is not compatible. I have heard that the LPG/GLP ? is a different mix abroad,but why should it be harmful ?. Plenty of foreign C/vans-M/homes have Alde boilers.

As for Safefill,,they have lots of outlets to use for refilling nation wide,so if you are even touring,the full one will last until you have been past loads of fill stations with the empty one.

I must confess,i had two Safefill bottles,the Red ones,the new Blue ones are bigger so even more efficient,when i went to sell them as we have a bulk tank as standard on the new m/home,they went on sale about 22. 00 hrs at night,and were sold by 09. 30 hrs next morning,i could have sold them ALL DAY. NO connection to Safefill Stoke on Trent,other than as a very happy customer.

Hedgebumper.

Hi.

If this is so,there must be a lot of people on the continent who are oblivious to the fact that "Their" gas is not compatible. I have heard that the LPG/GLP ? is a different mix abroad,but why should it be harmful ?. Plenty of foreign C/vans-M/homes have Alde boilers.

Hedgebumper.

Unless they continuously camp in very low temperature without a warming break, and also multi refill they would not have the issue, so easily could be oblivious of the potential problem. Even if this is the reason for Alde's comment.

Where was is said to "be harmful"?

I was not aware it was harmful, only "not recommended" but unfortunately not why.

I've emailed Alde to clarify whether UK autogas is compatible with the Alde Compact 3010. I'll let you know what they say.

For further info please read the paragraph taken from the Alde manual. ....

I've emailed Alde to clarify whether UK autogas is compatible with the Alde Compact 3010. I'll let you know what they say.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

For further info please read the paragraph taken from the Alde manual. ....

Thanks, so the concern is of possible effects from additives.

All I can say is I have known those using Autogas, and of course there are also many on here with Safefill, Gaslow, etc. , but am not hearing of related problems. Do we know of any?

Hi JTQ.

I was ahead of myself,i took "Not recommended ", to read Harmful, like placing your hand into a fire is not recommended,as it can harm you. ..

So although not recommended,it may not be harmful,sorry about that. (Tongue FIRMLY in cheek) Have a good un.

Hedgebumper

As usual I'm afraid I can only offer the advice I have been given through all if the training & factory courses I have taken. Of course anyone can use any fuel they wish to run their appliances I'm just making people aware of any potential pitfalls. ....remember a new Alde boiler is well over £1800 fitted!

By the way I have attended the FULL Alde training course, I'm one of their (very few) recommended workshops.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Caravanmedic:

With regards to Autogas refills, I took this up with the Alde technical guy at the NEC last October and how it would affect their system(s).

His reply was:

That this advice only applies to Motorhomes that "might travel in Mountain areas / high altitude" and said they will be changing the wording / advice in the instruction manual. He went on to explain in deep technical detail how Autogas reacts at high altitude.

He confirmed that Autogas was quite safe and OK to use in their systems for 99 % of Caravans and Motorhomes at sea level.

John

Just got the reply back from Alde - find the full email is attached and the pertinent summary below:

"To summarise, Autogas is fine to use in the Alde system, but its performance will vary depending on the blend of Autogas you use. The same can be said of butane. "

alde. doc

We use Calor 13kg cylinders - £25 or so, so quite good value. If you are staying on a privately owned site, you might be able to get a 19kg Calor or a 47kg one delivered to site. ...

Rusell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I think that it costs about £17. 5 to buy 13kg from a LPG pump. So a much smaller saving that comparing to a calorlite. I think that a 19kg bottle can be had for around £32 so there is no saving compared to filling your own. If you could buy the gas as heating fuel, then it would be cheaper. Using a 47 kg bottle would be cheaper still.

I don't use a 19 kg bottle simply because I don't want to lift one but I know plenty of people who do. Basically you pay your money and takes your choice