2013 Avante 624 Twin Axle Delaminated Floor

mtb_rich

For those who are interested I've had my floor inspected and a warranty claim is in with Elddis.

My floor has delaminated from the very back of the van right through to the chest of drawers at the front.

The fix is. ....additional aluminium box section under the floor construction, injection throughout the floor of the van from above (not through the GRP under skin) and additional timbers inserted into the floor construction at various points.

If you've got a twin axle it may be worth checking your floor and don't ignore any slight movement.

All this and a new rear panel.

I've bought a lemon!!

Rich

Edited by mtb_rich

So that's more than the usual delamination repair! Are they concerned that the floor was structurally inadequate in the first place? Has anyone else had soft floors on their Elddis? I assume it's a SOLID van. The extra flexing would explain why the rear panel has problems too.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Edited by murraymint

Still waiting for my floor inspection hopefully before the end of March!!

Any idea how quick it's going to be done, and how long it'll take?

A lemon infers a one off from the norm - I'm not so sure this is the case here.

Tug:VW Touareg 4. 2 TDI V8

Tugged: Bucaneer Schooner

I jokingly made a post about the floor on our 2013 Avante a while ago. I was looking underneath the caravan looking for the source of a creaking noise when we walked near the kitchen area. I noticed the floor sagged quite a degree where it was not supported by the chassis.

Link:- http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/84215-does-your-2013-floor-flex/?hl=sagging

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Our Affinity floor creaks a lot which then causes creaking furniture. Perhaps in the process of cutting caravan weight, thinner floor material is being used which is simply just not up to the job. Perhaps that is why the floors now gave a fibreglass cover, to hopefully extend the life of a thinner, lighter cheaper floor?

I seem to remember that Elddis talked about the whole body now provided the strength of the caravan when they switched over to SOLID. That seemed like a reasonable claim - but I wonder if that means they reduced the timber in the flooring as the bonded body of the caravan was meant to provided more structural rigidity. If they reduced it too much it will flex more and could be causing the problems with the ABS panels. Swift were quite open about the build problems of their 2011/12 models - the side skirts were too short and they had to change the sealants they used. I think a similar approach by Elddis could help here.

Outhouse, my floor was inspected by a repair company about 4 weeks ago. It's going in for fixing on the 23 April. They will have the van for approx 2 weeks

Thanks for that Rich.

That's a long wait but at least the van isn't disappearing for three months!!

Tug:VW Touareg 4. 2 TDI V8

Tugged: Bucaneer Schooner

Not so SOLID then? What a letdown. Problems with delamination & SOLID are getting too frequent for my liking, why can't manufacturers do anything right?
I really feel for you.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

For those who are interested I've had my floor inspected and a warranty claim is in with Elddis.

My floor has delaminated from the very back of the van right through to the chest of drawers at the front.

The fix is. ....additional aluminium box section under the floor construction, injection throughout the floor of the van from above (not through the GRP under skin) and additional timbers inserted into the floor construction at various points.

If you've got a twin axle it may be worth checking your floor and don't ignore any slight movement.

All this and a new rear panel.

I've bought a lemon!!

Rich

Why don't you reject the caravan "Not fit for purpose" If the floor needs strengthening, surely the caravan and its design was at fault from the outset, especially if they now want to strengthen the floor (Re-design it) Given the rear panel fault as well, I'm sure you would win your case.

You have to ask though, surely its easer for the manufacture to replace the caravan through the dealer. Obviously they don't want to set a president or they're all built the same. :(

I though I had problems with my van in the past but now I recon it was a good'n and that's saying something !. One thing is for sure, I would now never buy an Elddis "You would have to be mad" Sorry, no offence intended to Elddis owners.

Edited by Gaz40

So this could all be down to all those nasty potholes.

Would love to reject it but the 624 isn't made in 2014 and my 2013 is a Glossop dealer special.

I'm thinking its best to get it repaired. ....better the devil you know and all that

Would love to reject it but the 624 isn't made in 2014 and my 2013 is a Glossop dealer special.

I'm thinking its best to get it repaired. ....better the devil you know and all that

Fair enough. ...........but if you buy a pair of boots with a size 9 printed on the box, then you get them home, open the box and they're a smaller size 7 :blink: It maybe best to get your money back and buy your boots from another shop ;)

You also need to ask the dealer. ........ with all this strengthening material to the floor, what's the increased weight of the caravan, you may have to adjust your user pay load to offset any increased weight. :(

Edited by Gaz40

Fair enough. ...........but if you buy a pair of boots with a size 9 printed on the box, then you get them home, open the box and they're a smaller size 7 :blink: It maybe best to get your money back and buy your boots from another shop ;)

You also need to ask the dealer. ........ with all this strengthening material to the floor, what's the increased weight of the caravan, you may have to adjust your user pay load to offset any increased weight. :(

Once again,a very good post Gaz. Just been speaking to my mobile caravan Engineer,who tells me he did a service on a 1 yr old avante yesterday ( only used 4 times) has got the cracks and hole floor delaminated. The chap who owns the van got told this morning from the dealer that they are going to do the same as what they are going to do to Rich's van. He has said like hell,see you in court. It's a single axle as well,which is worrying.

• 2 months later...

2012 odyssey 650. reported floor at factory within 6 month, several on board glue failures dropped out glue problem in conversation. But not floor? Over last 12 months plus tried to get new van, no way says supplier . factory had it twice for floor,1st loose furniture no cure . 2nd aluminium rods underneath no cure. their engineer said no delamination but "flexing" ! now saying no problems with floor. Are they hoping we get fed up with complaining and put up with structural faults???

Are we now going to have the same exscuses from the manufacturer as we had with the cracks in the side walls I hope not.

We had this problem on our 2013 Avante 574 they did indeed put aly box section bellow the van they dive not inject any type of glue and it certainly seems to have done the job it appears that the floor were sagging when you walked on it ?

• 2 months later...

reported similar problem with new odyssey 2012. been complaining since 5 months old floor problem. elddis have had several goes including aluminium strips. still "flexing" as they call it. campbells asked for independent engineers report as we have said since 2012 UNFIT FOR PURPOSE, DID THAT AND ENGINEER REPORT AGREED. it would appear that because it did not support elddis they don't want to accept it. also several bits inside have glue failure which they said was bad batch.