Insurance Whilst In Storage

Stonemags76

Just for information - we overwinter in Spain, and were wondering if we should store our caravan in Spain over the summer to save towing it home. I knew that there may be a difficulty with insurance, so decided to phone our insurance company, Saga, to enquire before we made a decision. We had 365 European cover, but I knew that would not necessarily cover us for storage. My question was - could we pay more for cover, or was it a no go? Not only did Saga say they would not insure the van for storage abroad under any circumstances, but they decided to cancel our policy there and then, as we had asked the question!! I explained that no decision had been made as yet, but that was not good enough. They took the view that as I had asked the question, then it was a possibility, and they were not prepared to continue cover!! Talk about being punished for being honest!!

Luckily I cancelled the insurance myself (to avoid any future difficulty), and insured with Towergate who had no trouble with the storage, provided we used an Alko lock, and the site was secure.

We will not be insuring with Saga again for anything with customer service like that!

The moral is - be careful what you ask your insurers!

That is shocking :o

I have never heard of insurance being cancelled for asking a question and would report them to their ombudsman :angry:

Their argument has no substance - if you didn't comply with their conditions they would have kept your premiums and refused to pay out - ridiculous behaviour :unsure:

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Luckily I cancelled the insurance myself (to avoid any future difficulty)

Smart move - impossible to get insurance after an insurer has cancelled on you.

Sounds like SAGA is an appropriate name for your ex insurers.

Land Rover is now back towing.

But read CommDave's pdf attachment and it would appear Saga's reaction is the norm. Do we dare to ask?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I would not stand for this. ... the insurer has no right to come off cover if there has been no change in the risk. Fine if you told them you were telling them you were storing it overseas. ... but thinking about it. ... no way.

whether you insure with them or not report it. ... I see no basis for this behaviour. It is probable you are due compensation for breach of contract.

Edited by bob1982