Portable Folding Solar Panels

TonyA

Hi, has anyone experience on folding Solar panels, we want at least a 100 watt, if you have one could you tell me,

1/ are they any good

2/where did you get it

3/ how much do they cost

4/ also we need a 500 + Inverter any info on these would also be appreciated

Tony A

Hi,

1, YES the one I have is excellent

2, I built mine myself with 2 panels purchased from ebay

3, Mine cost around about £120

4, The cheapo inverters from ebay are ok for some things, but being modified sine wave are no where near as good as a pure sine wave inverter, but the cost difference is considerable.

As I already have solar panels on the roof of my van I plumbed into the vans solar regulator which made it A, Cheaper as controller already in place, and B, by having the controller closer to the battery the cables from portable panel can be a lot lighter as the voltage drop is less of an issue

Edited by Mike&deb

Have a 3 panel folding solar setup,120watts including charge controller . ...E bay just over £130. 00 works a treat

I aint getting on no plane. ....FOOL !!!

Eterniti Genisis IB4 behind a VW Amarok

Have a 3 panel folding solar setup,120watts including charge controller . ...E bay just over £130. 00 works a treat

Beats this on price. ....... http://www. amazon. co. uk/Photonic-Universe-folding-charging-battery/dp/B0086P28WO

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We bought an 80W folding suitcase affair from Ebay last year for about £150 including controller and leads and a padded bag. Plus an extension lead from Maplin. I cut the crocodile clips off the lead it came with and wired it directly to the caravan battery with a 10 amp inline fuse on the positive. This lead sits on top of the battery in the locker. The panels just get plugged in when required.

See this thread : Connecting Solar panels to Battery

It works a treat and keeps the battery topped up nicely when it's sunny. We don't need to use an inverter. .... except now maybe for the lap top now that we are MiFi'd up. ... !! More stuff to buy !! :rolleyes:

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I don't have any problems with a 50 watt freestanding panel :)

However all my caravan lights are LED, my telly is a 12 volt LED & I have a 110ah battery. My panel is a Kyocera & I have a morningstar controller.

I have a separate system for winter use with a couple of 20 watt panels & a spare battery

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

60 watt Bosch folder. Works a treat. Nice carry case and appears a solid build to me. Plugs into a Socket I fitted into the battery box near the mains input.

Plus points.

Well made, much better stand assembly than the other panel we use.

Not too heavy.

Easy size to accomodate.

We can angle it to the sun for maximum efficiency. Very important in winter when the sun is low in the sky and a flat on the roof panel would be at a poor angle.

We have a better quality controller fitted to the van so I disconnected the built in controller (always there as a back up)

I've also made up a lead that allows us to couple another panel at the same time ( we keep a 100 w at the static)

You can site to avoid tree shadows and the like.

Gives 5 amps in good sun and appears quite good in not so good sun.

Minus points.

Easy to steal.

Getting it out from under the bed when we need it.

Not the cheapest on the market about £160.

Need to go and realign it now and again.

Keeps us going very well most of the time.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

A 100w folding solar panel is 2 50w panels hinged together. We use to use a 40 W freestanding panel. Now I have a135 W on the roof which I prefer because it's always working even when the van is in storage. It's harder to steal

With inverter only you can answer that I've got an old150w inverter to charge the laptop ever thing else is 12v or gas. So for me a big inverter would be as about as much use as a kick start on a jumbo jet. You may have a need for one

What are you going to run from your inverter? You need to know what the starting current of stuff is - look at tictag's thread about his set-up, he managed to burn his way through three of them before he got himself sorted out

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

It works a treat and keeps the battery topped up nicely when it's sunny. We don't need to use an inverter. .... except now maybe for the lap top now that we are MiFi'd up. ... !! More stuff to buy !! :rolleyes:

Get a 12v PSU for the lapop - cheaper solution and more power efficient.

I have a suitcase type, 60w.

I have changed the clips and what not for 2. 5mm power plugs and sockets. These connect to the charge controller and then to the battery.

I can plug it in when in storage inside the van with the panel in the front window. I've added a clip arrangement to the underside of the upper front lockers to hold it in place, as the stand it came with was no good for inside the van.

I also have a socket in the battery compartment, next to the mains inlet, so that I can set the unit up outside and plug it in.

Cost £0 for the panel & controller, a few quid for the bits. I did work at Maplin at the time though, and they were about to throw out the panel as it was a sample.

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by SteveMilner

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

Get a 12v PSU for the lapop - cheaper solution and more power efficient.

Regards,

Stephen

My Laptop transformer takes 240 AC and steps down to 18V DC. Can I get a 12V to 18v DC adaptor ?

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

My Laptop transformer takes 240 AC and steps down to 18V DC. Can I get a 12V to 18v DC adaptor ?

something like this?

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/370760927359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1423. l2649

http://www. kensington. com/kensington/en/gb/s/1440/laptop-power-chargers. aspx

These people are the best known.

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

It seems to be a bit of a minefield as the prices vary from £5 to £100 ? I suppose at the end of the day you don't want to end up with a fried laptop ! Does that mean buying a more expensive one ? I must admit I haven't looked at past threads which will probably cover it. Will do that later. Cheers.