Help Appreciated From Fellow Members With Disabilities

mynanny2

Hi my husband needs the use of a motorised wheelchair and we are always at a loss when we are touring to find places of interest that are easy to get around in his chair. Many say they are Disable friendly but then we find sloping gravel paths where the wheels get stuck or we struggle to stop the chair going downhill too fast. Or there's not much that is accessible to wheelchairs. Can anyone suggest places they have been that are easy to get around, any area of the uk. We usually end up in town centres where there is nowhere to get the chair on or off the paths. We like gardens or country houses but will try anything as long as he can get about in the chair. This is not a moan just a request to pick your brains and save us some leg work if you pardon the pun.

Many Thanks

I Googled this and it may give you a few ideas?

https://www. google. co. uk/#q=places+for+disabled+to+visit

This one looks good. ........ http://www. yorkshire. com/disabled-go

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

There was a news story on itv westcountry a little while back about a country park in Devon that was award winning for its disabled access - it was specifically modified to give access for wheelchair users that wanted to go on a country walk with the family or to exercise their dogs etc. I think they had different grades of path. I'm afraid I don't know the name but give good old google a try.

This might be useful

http://www. devon. gov. uk/accessibletrailsindevon. pdf

Edited by sleepyfolk

Thanks both of you I'll work my way through these I'm sure there'll be a few things we can try and we'll be able to visit new areas at the same time. Thanks again.

Margaret

I see many wheelchair bound people in the National Trust Properties.

I realise there are financial implications, but would it be worthwhile

looking for a more off road friendly wheel chair, even if it is only wider

wheels and fatter tyres.

http://www. bluebadgestyle. com/2013/06/mountain-trike-off-road-riding-from-the-all-terrain-wheelchair-company/

Edited by gumdrop

There is a book out which is free and gives you information on places you can visit if disabled. I got one sometime ago, but most of the places seem to be where we don't go. I can't check on it as it is in the caravan but I may have obtained it from the CC.

Thanks for the info gumdrop but my husband doesn't have the ability to handle an 'off road' type nor could we afford it.

DeltaTlowner I think I have had the book you mention and they weren't places we were interested in either but thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not in a wheelchair but use a wheeled-walker. NT do a booklet for disabled-friendly places, that might be worth your while looking into.

I really enjoyed Longleat Safari park last year - you could stay in the car for the main tour, and also get out to get 'close up' with some of the animals, most of it was wheelchair accessible. CC site at Longleat is wonderful to stay in - you hear lions roaring, wolves howling, sealions barking, etc, as the site is right next door. Disabled facilities on the site first rate.