Don't Disrespect The Green Oval

Caravanner1

The landcruiser should be compared to a defender IMHO not a Disco or Range Rover :lol:

Steady on, going to a Landcruiser from my new Defender would be a huge backwards step in refinement. . :P:lol:

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

Steady on, going to a Landcruiser from my new Defender would be a huge backwards step in refinement. . :P:lol:

Who cares about refinement? I'm no school run mum! Rather, it would take a modern version of the 101FC to make me switch over!

Mind you, the last time I drove a 101, I had to repair it in the middle of a safari. Fortunately an easy fix - the throttle cable had snapped, so I just took the engine cover off, and drove it by reaching down and operating the throttle lever by hand. - the advantages of having the engine in the cab with you and nice simple mechanics!

PS. DOes this type of driving become mandatory with a Defender?

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-31117109

Edited by A11

The money I save by avoiding LR dealers for my tow car/winter car pays for me to run an mx5 as a second car, which gives me the ride, drive, etc

Not ready to swap the pair for anything else at the moment. If I did, the top contender would be a 3 series 330d X-drive (4x4) estate

Well I'll bet you've spent as much at your Toyota Dealer as I have at a LR one over the past three years of D4 ownership - i. e. nothing other than routine maintenance!

We used to have an MX-5 too, what a great little fun car! Swapped it three years ago for a Mini (which is not in the same league for putting a smile on yer face!).

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Well I'll bet you've spent as much at your Toyota Dealer as I have at a LR one over the past three years of D4 ownership - i. e. nothing other than routine maintenance!

We used to have an MX-5 too, what a great little fun car! Swapped it three years ago for a Mini (which is not in the same league for putting a smile on yer face!).

Strangely, the Mazda costs more for main dealer servicing than the LC. The LC comes in at £180 or so for a minor service and £240 or so for a major at my local main dealer. This low price is one of the reasons I've still been going to the main dealer for LC servicing, but am about to start doing my own for the Mazda. Even my wife's little Honda Jazz costs more for main dealer servicing than the LC.

I do like the looks of the D4, and the big Range Rover. But buying one would mean selling my MX-5 to make the economics work, which I'm not prepared to do. Like you, I love the MX-5. I probably drive that for 8 months of the year, hence not being that bothered by the LC handling.

Edited by A11

Having owned a landcruiser will admit I do miss the cheaper servicing costs :(

LR servicing is a rip off and new prices are terrifying but sales are rocketing :o

They must be doing something right :lol:

Edited by Muddywheels
  • Like 1

It's gone very quiet on this thread, maybe they are all down the garage. .. ;)

. ..or stuck behind a bogged L Cruiser?

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Stuck behind mercs stuck on frost

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

Ah, nice to see there are still some Green Oval owners around. ... :D

I'm just a stirrer on this thread. Keeps it going (still falling way behind the Bailey Triceratops III thread though).

I'm sorry if I disturbed you, I was on the Land Cruiser forum in the technical help section and nearly fell to sleep I was so bored, no one has been on there for ages. .... :D:D

• Like 1

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

I'm sorry if I disturbed you, I was on the Land Cruiser forum in the technical help section and nearly fell to sleep I was so bored, no one has been on there for ages. .... :D:D

That would be because the technical details were all worked out at some point between Stone and Iron Age? No updates required. :P

• Like 3

Or they're so horrible to be in that no-one ever ventures out in one! No wonder they're allegedly so reliable. :ph34r:

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Stuck behind mercs stuck on frost

For once i will agree with you that Mercs are practically useless when it comes to traction in FROST :);)

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Nick - ha ha, but true

Alfa Europe - shades of truth!

Nigel207 - that's just mean! Even if maybe true. ..

• Like 1

Well i left home on 27th Dec in thick frost, encountered 3 in snow in Northern France, just selected 3rd with the tiptronic, never had a problem !! Guess its how you drive em, and having the van on the back probably helped, but no 4x4 reqd specially down here in Sunny Spain, 21 degrees today!!

Back to the sunbed then!!

Phil.

• Like 1

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

how long can you keep hop this charade Phil? lol

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

how long can you keep hop this charade Phil? lol

What???

No charade i am in southern Spain and i got here just as described!!

Get yerself a Merc mate and then stop worrying!!!!!

:P:P

Phil.

• Like 1

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Greetings from Nerja - only 16 degrees today, but lovely and sunny. A lot better than northern Spain although it was a beautiful winter wonderland.

Haven't brought the van on this trip cos we are staying in a hotel, and also there was the worry about driving 1500 miles door to door in an unreliable green oval - yeah right :)

Greetings from Nerja - only 16 degrees today, but lovely and sunny. A lot better than northern Spain although it was a beautiful winter wonderland.

Haven't brought the van on this trip cos we are staying in a hotel, and also there was the worry about driving 1500 miles door to door in an unreliable green oval - yeah right :)

Yeh understandable! Then of course, theres the cost ie rubbish mpg too!! :P:P:P :P

Phil.

Edited by phil1041
  • Like 1