Sign in to follow this  
Caravanner1

Don't Disrespect The Green Oval

The snow line is slowly creeping down the mountains in N. Wales, I think I will be needing some winter tyres for my D4 soon, does anyone recommend a set to buy?..I have been looking at Wintrac 4/ Sl Xtreme. ..I don,t think my present tyres will cope with any snow :)

Any help would be appreciated. ..Ian

http://www. honestjohn. co. uk/forum/posts/?t=107739

Read the last post and tell me what you think. E class owner.

Hilarious. The writer has obviously had too much Christmas pop! hic!

The snow line is slowly creeping down the mountains in N. Wales, I think I will be needing some winter tyres for my D4 soon, does anyone recommend a set to buy?..I have been looking at Wintrac 4/ Sl Xtreme. ..I don,t think my present tyres will cope with any snow :)

Wintrac have a very good reputation. I run on General Grabber AT all year, never been beaten in any conditions.

Enjoy the snow ;)

Been in Oxford area since 28th and done first test of conti winter tyres and now seeing the benefit. White roads you can't stand up but sport feels planted :)

Defrosting stand pipe each morning to fill aquaroll making me envious of Phil even though he's got a merc :lol:

First winter with Alde heating makes me realise how hopeless blown air is ;)

Timed climate on sport making up for no garage this week too :)

Edited by Muddywheels

Happy new year 🎆

Best wishes for 2015 to you all 👍

Edited by Muddywheels

Happy New Year Muddy, and to all.

Hope its a good one for all

Now I know that the new Discovery is not on sale until 22nd January 2015, and I know I have seen two of them on separate vehicles being delivered. ....BUT on Saturday on the M74 Southbound from Glasgow there was a live one, on the road and not on trade plates. .it was black and alongside me for a mile until the motorway split . ..one chap was so keen to see it he kept dropping back and then going in front again. ...an Evoke driver slowed down for a look too. ..

geoff

p. s. no tow bar yet. .

Mmm interesting, I wonder if footballers can somehow jump the queue / launch date. . :D

Ian - check out the Disco3 forum

Lots of debate on tyres for Discovery and a great source of info also :D

. ... I run on General Grabber AT all year, never been beaten in any conditions.

Enjoy the snow ;)

I run Grabber AT during the cooler months (Nov - March) - great tyres.

Ian - check out the Disco3 forum

Lots of debate on tyres for Discovery and a great source of info also :D

+1.

Research from there swung me to change from Pirelli Skorpion Zero's to Grabber AT's for all round use.

Not winters though but good in the snow & slippy stuff. :)

Many thanks Caravanner1, Maplecottage & Griff for the responses on winter tyres for my D4. ...the Disco3 Forum is a great link and a good source of info. I think the General Grabber AT,s maybe my best option. !

I presently have on a set of Good Year M+S 255/55 R19 All Weather, and I was up on the Horseshoe pass near Llangollen prior to Christmas in the snow and they didn't,t perform that well! :rolleyes:

Many thanks Caravanner1, Maplecottage & Griff for the responses on winter tyres for my D4. ...the Disco3 Forum is a great link and a good source of info. I think the General Grabber AT,s maybe my best option. !

I presently have on a set of Good Year M+S 255/55 R19 All Weather, and I was up on the Horseshoe pass near Llangollen prior to Christmas in the snow and they didn't,t perform that well! :rolleyes:

My previous experiences of the GoodYear tyre is that they are fine when they've got plenty of tread but once they get down to about 4mm, they behave very differently. Like driving on slicks !

When comparing winter tyres It's worth checking out the ratings for fuel/wet grip/noise.

Take a look at Tyre Leader - not used them so can't comment, but they have clear tyre information.

http://www. tyreleader. co. uk/car-tyres-255-55-19/?ty=O

After much research my son had Nokian WR SUV 3s fitted to his Disco 3 for the Winter - not had a lot of snow and ice yet to give them a proper test.

Greetings all from Sunny Spain!! presently at La Manga.

As usual the panzer wagon performed impeccably all the way here, including minus 10 in central France and a couple of inches of snow on the site roads!! who needs a 4x4!! Oh and 32. 6 mpg pulling 1900kg's awesome motor!!

Interesting thing today, i was stopped by the local Police in Cartegena, it was part of a training exercise to try out their new kit, they had a tablet, just punched in my reg no and up came all my details, insurance etc etc they obviously now have a link to the DVLA system, just be aware, i resume they can now contact you for fines etc!!

Anyway, 21 degrees here this afternoon, having to type in the awning as the sun too bright on the screen, Happy new year to you all!!

Phil.

As usual the panzer wagon performed impeccably all the way here, including minus 10 in central France and a couple of inches of snow on the site roads!! who needs a 4x4!! Oh and 32. 6 mpg pulling 1900kg's awesome motor!!

Interesting thing today, i was stopped by the local Police in Cartegena, it was part of a training exercise to try out their new kit, they had a tablet, just punched in my reg no and up came all my details, insurance etc etc they obviously now have a link to the DVLA system, just be aware, i resume they can now contact you for fines etc!!

Anyway, 21 degrees here this afternoon, having to type in the awning as the sun too bright on the screen, Happy new year to you all!!

Phil.

Interesting post regarding the Spanish bobbies! Pleased about the weather too am arriving puerto de mazerrone on Friday afternoon between us we will be astride Cartagena :)

Its a good forecast right up to the weekend Peter, you should be fine.

Phil.

Its a good forecast right up to the weekend Peter, you should be fine.

Phil.

Thanks for that

Save some of the nice weather for February as I will be staying in Nerja (not in the tintent though) - and yes I will risk driving down in the D4, just like I did a year ago, and also with the tintent on the back in 2012 :)

. ........I think the General Grabber AT,s maybe my best option

As an aside to excellent traction capabilities on poor surfaces, D3/D4 owners using Grabber AT's regularly quote 40k+ miles from a set and in my case getting slightly better mpg from the Grabbers running at 3psi over normal.

Best I have manage from two sets of Skorpion Zero's is 21k miles, that's one set on a 3 and one set on a 4, same mileage from each and I am a very steady driver.

Phil.

My E Class isn't a Good tow - There's already one forum member with an E who no longer own's it - and I'm tempted to jump ship too. .. dorve a GL merc yesterday, ML later today and. .. yes. .. you've guessed it, a D4 Disco tomorrow. .. wish me luck!

My E Class isn't a Good tow - There's already one forum member with an E who no longer own's it - and I'm tempted to jump ship too. .. dorve a GL merc yesterday, ML later today and. .. yes. .. you've guessed it, a D4 Disco tomorrow. .. wish me luck!

To be fair, maybe we should'nt be comparing (in towing terms) E classes with D4's, after all the E is only 'a tow car', the D4 is 'a towing machine'.

Have to say though that when my towing days are over, I would probably like to settle with a nice E class estate but until then. .....

Had an E240 petrol saloon some years back and loved it, except in slippy weather. :(

To be fair, maybe we should'nt be comparing (in towing terms) E classes with D4's, after all the E is only 'a tow car', the D4 is 'a towing machine'.

Have to say though that when my towing days are over, I would probably like to settle with a nice E class estate but until then. .....

Had an E240 petrol saloon some years back and loved it, except in slippy weather. :(

Don't get me wrong, i love my E Class - Liverpool bad back yesterday gave no issues and an average of 50. 5mpg - but, hook the 'van on the back, and it's not great. . maybe with a small 'van but not a big one.

Griff, Any D4 issues i should know about. ..?

Had no issues with mine in its 4 years from new but again to be fair others have.

A good cross section of 'minors & majors' can be found on Disco3. co. uk.

Had no issues with my D3 either as it happens, again from new.

Out of interest on fuel economy, had done 29942 miles towards the end of last year and got through 1320 gallons to do it = 22. 7mpg.

About 20% of that mileage was towing.

Forget quoted computer averages up in the high 20's (by folk who tow 2 tonne 1/5th of the time) my D3 did the same, it's all about how many gallons you actually stick in 'em over a given mileage.

Edit: Added the bracketed bit.

Edited by Griff

My D4 is five and a bit years old. I have owned it for almost three years. In that time, it's had nothing needed other than routine maintenance. It had 28,000 miles when I bought it (and in it's previous history it had a software update - the previous owner was a LR salesman, so showed me on the Dealership's system, and routine servicing). It's now just shy of 50,000 miles, and at its last service they mentioned that the lower front suspension arm bushes are showing slight wear.

On the MPG front, it's averaged 25. 52 overall, and a good deal of that is towing. The best I have achieved was 34. 4, with the worst 15. As I tend to use the car mainly on longer runs (even when not towing), I do get high 20's/low 30's quite easily. On the odd occasion when I use it for knocking about (time of year dependent) it does mid-20's. Towing, the average is usually 18-22 depending upon roads/terrain/time of year. Like Griff, those figures are properly calculated, not going on the fantasy figures that the OBC produces!

Edited by nigel207

Whoop whoop. ....the mrs has signed off the disco replacement!!!

A HSE Discovery :)

Hopefully going a hunting Sunday :)

• Like 1

As an aside to excellent traction capabilities on poor surfaces, D3/D4 owners using Grabber AT's regularly quote 40k+ miles from a set and in my case getting slightly better mpg from the Grabbers running at 3psi over normal.

Best I have manage from two sets of Skorpion Zero's is 21k miles, that's one set on a 3 and one set on a 4, same mileage from each and I am a very steady driver.

Thanks Griff for the info, I was surprised to see that you got 40k+ out of a set of Grabber AT tyres!

Ian

Whoop whoop. ....the mrs has signed off the disco replacement!!!

A HSE Discovery :)

Hopefully going a hunting Sunday :)

Good luck on your search on Sunday, I would love a HSE, there are a few good second hand in our local dealership. ..but I think a tad to expensive!

Ian