Don't Disrespect The Green Oval

Caravanner1

If you read my post then it's clear that it was continually braking down not just the once. .

In the JD Power best brands survey 2013 the No. 1 rated brand is Jaguar, No. 5 is Mercedes and just 1% behind them in 6th place is Land Rover. Surprisingly in 25th place is Mitsubishi which to be honest I would never have expected, ohh and Audi didn't even make the top ten.

Just goes to show that when vehicles are surveyed by folk with an actual insight ie the owners and not by what people imagine them to be like it's a very different story. ......

This IMO applies to all brands not just JLR.

For your information, although to be fair, you probably didn't know, I have driven more miles in LR cars than you could probably ever dream about as I drove them professionally so yes I have a fair insight into the product, and it was not my imagination as to which workshop most o them spent their time!!

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

To be fair Phil the range rover you posted was renowned for unreliability but so were all vehicles around that age - I can't see how you can compare that to modern vehicles.

Also a vehicle driven by many users professionally or hired will be abused unlike a vehicle the owner has saved for and spent his/her hard earned cash on :)

To be fair Phil the range rover you posted was renowned for unreliability but so were all vehicles around that age - I can't see how you can compare that to modern vehicles.

Also a vehicle driven by many users professionally or hired will be abused unlike a vehicle the owner has saved for and spent his/her hard earned cash on :)

Yes I will concede that, the photo I posted was a very old one, I retired 5 years ago and I was driving them up until that point.

I will also concede that they were driven and worked hard, but at the end of the day, that's what they were bought for and we were told were more than up to the job, they were not.

I will also concede that the off road capabilities were excellent, something I had to do many times at crime scenes off the beaten track as it were, it was just that when you got the call to attend, always wondered if there was one available or are they all in the workshop yet again!

Just my experiences over 27 years and many trips to Land Rover ( I was the force instructor on the Defender and the Range Rover).

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

You had my dream job Phil :)

Well possibly, but you might not have said that at a particularly nasty fatal accident, a decapitation or one of the many gruesome murder scenes I had to attend!

Swings and roundabouts I guess, not to mention the paperwork!!

Phil.

I know people in police and fire service and heard about these things so have the greatest respect for people who do the jobs many of us wouldn't be able to cope with :(

Whilst in a nostalgic mood, heres a couple more Range Rovers with me driving them.

The one in the snow was taken at J22 of the M62 at Windy Hill for those that know it.

Phil.

post-22685-0-43240500-1395580395_thumb.jpg

post-22685-0-80363100-1395580410_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil1041

For your information, although to be fair, you probably didn't know, I have driven more miles in LR cars than you could probably ever dream about as I drove them professionally so yes I have a fair insight into the product, and it was not my imagination as to which workshop most o them spent their time!!

Phil.

Well Phil you haven't answered my post regarding the survey, all I can think of is that LR have improved dramatically in the five years since your retirement as have many other brands that are popular with caravanners.

We will never agree regarding LR so I suppose that's that.

Oh and you have my full respect and admiration for the job you did and many others still do. (The ex Notts traffic cop I know said they never replaced a car as good as his Senator).

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

I know people in police and fire service and heard about these things so have the greatest respect for people who do the jobs many of us wouldn't be able to cope with :(

Second that,my daughter is in the police,how she does what she does. .when I get told . .they get my greatest respect !

He is bang on, the Senator was without doubt the best patrol car I ever drove, and the only time it was in the workshop was for the 4 weekly service (we used to re line the brakes every 4 weeks on all the cars).

With regard to the survey you mention, I could quote many more with the Discovery in particular at the bottom, check out the warranty repairs and claims surveys. But yes I would hope that have improved in the last 5 years, good heavens they couldn't get any worse!

However, yes we will have to agree to disagree.

Phil,

All the comments re my previous profession and to the serving officers is much appreciated, thank you.

Phil.

All the comments re my previous profession and to the serving officers is much appreciated, thank you.

Phil.

Yes, much respect Phil.

I like the windy hill photo, not far from me in halifax :)

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

Well Phil you haven't answered my post regarding the survey, all I can think of is that LR have improved dramatically in the five years since your retirement as have many other brands that are popular with caravanners.

We will never agree regarding LR so I suppose that's that.

Oh and you have my full respect and admiration for the job you did and many others still do. (The ex Notts traffic cop I know said they never replaced a car as good as his Senator).

Yes, I'll concur that the best patrol cars that Notts had were a fleet of late (L and M reg) 24v Senators. They were brilliant. Designed to use a litre of oil every 1000 miles, so had an oil change between oil changes (9000 miles). After 2. 9 Granadas they were flying machines. Then came the 850 T5 Volvos. ........

Between 1987 and 2011, Notts didn't have many 4x4 vehicles for Traffic work; basically a couple on the M1 and one at each of the other traffic wings. They had a couple of early Discoverys which were abused (thrashed - not what they were really designed for being diesels). In about 2000, they bought three Mercedes 2. 7 ML's; one for M1 duties, and two for us on the Accident Investigation Unit. What disasters they were! We had to borrow vans or other cars more often than not, and it really was a relief when they went, as they did nothing well.

Since then, various 4x4's have been tried. Fortunately they didn't go the route of the Discovery 3 (speaking from the experience of having had a troublesome one), but since my retirement it seems that they now have a number of Discovery 4's which are giving seemingly good service.

Edited by nigel207

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

I am still running my 1998 Disco V8 that I bought back in 2001, though I no longer use it as my tug. Its the ES model with loads of goodies, sadly non of them work anymore but the LPG system we had fitted works great!!. It has only covered 78k miles and the interior is like new, once I've mopped all the water out. The bodywork looks great with checkerplate, who wanted pristine wheel arches anyway?

To many it may look like a heap of scrap but it strikes up first time, every time and the autobox is a delight. Recently my "all singing all dancing" replacement towcar that I bought to replace the Disco let me down and I had to go back to the old girl. ..she didn't let me down. I now, yet again feel the green oval calling, it definately gets into the bones.

Vauxhall Signum V6 3. 0CDTi & Bailey Pegasus 462.

In days of old, before Defenders and Discoveries were even a gleam in the eye of their designers, a working group was formed at Land Rover to see how they could improve the build quality.

The group decided to visit a Japanese manufacturer to see if they could pick up any tips. On the day of the visit they were shown round the plant, observing the puposefulness with which everyone worked, marvelled at the robots, and finally were shown into the quality control room.

Here they observed a man putting a cat into a car and locking all the doors, sunroof etc. "What's that for" asked one of the LR boys. "Come back tomorrow and you will find out" replied the Japanese QC man.

The next morning the working group returned to the factory and went along to the QC room to find, sadly, that the cat had suffocated. "This is the extreme test of the fit of our doors to the bodywork" explained the QC man.

Well, the working group returned to base, polished up their hammers and sharpened their chisels and set about improving the fit of the doors in a sample car. At the end of the day they put the factory cat into the vehicle and locked all the doors, tailgate etc. and retired to the pub for a celebratory brew, pleased with their days work.

The next morning they returned to the factory,.................... and the cat had disappeared.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If it was raining heavy the poor sod would drown in mine before it escaped. .

Edited by scotsstag

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

Just hit the odd puddle and it's wet feet time, pathetic!

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Impressive. Definately no soft roader!

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

In days of old, before Defenders and Discoveries were even a gleam in the eye of their designers, a working group was formed at Land Rover to see how they could improve the build quality.

The group decided to visit a Japanese manufacturer to see if they could pick up any tips. On the day of the visit they were shown round the plant, observing the puposefulness with which everyone worked, marvelled at the robots, and finally were shown into the quality control room.

Here they observed a man putting a cat into a car and locking all the doors, sunroof etc. "What's that for" asked one of the LR boys. "Come back tomorrow and you will find out" replied the Japanese QC man.

The next morning the working group returned to the factory and went along to the QC room to find, sadly, that the cat had suffocated. "This is the extreme test of the fit of our doors to the bodywork" explained the QC man.

Well, the working group returned to base, polished up their hammers and sharpened their chisels and set about improving the fit of the doors in a sample car. At the end of the day they put the factory cat into the vehicle and locked all the doors, tailgate etc. and retired to the pub for a celebratory brew, pleased with their days work.

The next morning they returned to the factory,.................... and the cat had disappeared.

Brilliant and so accurate!!

Let it snow. ;)

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Not really accurate, I do not think a cat would die if left in car over night,all the rest true tho LOL !!

I prefer sunshine

Of course you do stattam.

Snow + Mercedes = Going nowhere. ;)