Caravanner1

Don't Disrespect The Green Oval

3 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

I assume you meant a Q5? 

Anyway - the bloke who started this thread - apparently a land rover nut - ditched his disco & bought an X5. Friends who've had JLR products have all had trouble. My next door neighbour had a jag as his company car & he said that even routine servicing was a pain at our local dealer. He now drives a golf.  

I'm not saying all other brand dealers are great by any means, our local kia/ Mitsubishi/ citreon dealer - perhaps as they have too many brands under one roof - certainly aren't great. But it does seem a common comment throughout this thread that the JLR dealers have a poor attitude.  

Not (yet 🤞 ) had the mechanical problems that some LR owners use to deride the brand generally, but I have to say my experience with the local dealership has been awful. Poor unhelpful staff (sales, admin & workshop). Scaremongering on repair needs that weren’t necessary ( verified by indie LR garage). Wouldn’t go back to the local dealership again. ...but rather hoped there might be a dealer somewhere that was better? Sounds like they are all from the same mould.

In general Land Rover main dealers IMO are useless, arrogant and down right poor.

We have even had one vehicle quite badly damaged whilst having a heated windscreen replaced, they did of course deny everything. :angry:

Then I asked to view the workshop CCTV, they suddenly decided to repair the damage as a good will gesture but still wouldn't admit they caused the damage in the first place!

Tried every LR dealer from Carlisle to Perth (none are interested in Defenders!) but I now travel a couple of hundred miles to have ALL of our Defender servicing/work done at Lakeland Land Rover in Torver.

Usually we take two Defenders at a time and get a very smart courtesy car for a couple of days :)then pick two up when we return it.

3 minutes ago, scotsstag said:

In general Land Rover main dealers IMO are useless, arrogant and down right poor.

We have even had one vehicle quite badly damaged whilst having a heated windscreen replaced, they did of course deny everything. :angry:

Then I asked to view the workshop CCTV, they suddenly decided to repair the damage as a good will gesture but still wouldn't admit they caused the damage in the first place!

Tried every LR dealer from Carlisle to Perth (none are interested in Defenders!) but I now travel a couple of hundred miles to have ALL of our Defender servicing/work done at Lakeland Land Rover in Torver.

Usually we take two Defenders at a time and get a very smart courtesy car for a couple of days :)then pick two up when we return it.

I overtook a Defender on the Autobahn this morning, it was struggling up a steep hill :o, fantastic bits of kit off road but I was glad to be sat in a Shogun overtaking it.

Have you seen the new Defender? It looks the business 

F2BB637D-53E1-43C8-8561-7A12AA57C889.png

I can see it selling to a certain type of customer (but not necessarily existing ones),  unfortunately not to me B1900 mate, to bling for us ;).

5 minutes ago, scotsstag said:

I can see it selling to a certain type of customer (but not necessarily existing ones),  unfortunately not to me B1900 mate, to bling for us ;).

We must be that certain type of customer, the Mrs wants one :)

I think much of the UK dealer network is in the hands of the Pendragon Group - in which case owners are better off fending for themselves.

B1900 I'd tell your mrs to give it at least 5 years for them to iron out any teething problems :D.

It is LR after all, they couldn't sort niggles out on the Defender, including all of it's previous guises in 50 odd :lol:.

Edited by scotsstag

Just now, scotsstag said:

I'd give it at least 5 years for them to iron out any teething problems :D.

It is LR after all, they couldn't sort niggles out the Defender, including all of it's previous guises in 50 odd :lol:.

Yes, wise words. Do you think with a new model they might try and compete with Mitsubishi, Kia, Hyundai and Co and offer a 5 or 7 year warranty? If they do I’ll probably buy one.

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Yes, wise words. Do you think with a new model they might try and compete with Mitsubishi, Kia, Hyundai and Co and offer a 5 or 7 year warranty? If they do I’ll probably buy one.

Yes, they may well do.  

They'll have to up their game if they do offer a 5/7 yr warranty or it might bankrupt them :D.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I overtook a Defender on the Autobahn this morning, it was struggling up a steep hill :o, fantastic bits of kit off road but I was glad to be sat in a Shogun overtaking it.

Have you seen the new Defender? It looks the business 

F2BB637D-53E1-43C8-8561-7A12AA57C889.png

We used to pick up brand new LRs in the sixties and take them straight into the bush with no worries about paintwork being scratched as no such thing as metallic paint.   I would be very reluctant to take the above into the bush especially if or had metallic paint.   Generally the only other option if you do not want metallic paint is for it to be white which shows up, the slightest of scratches? 

I thought the idea and design of a 4x4 was to be able to use it off road in all sorts of circumstances?  Today's 4x4s' pandy to those who want all the boys toys and never use it off road.   For someone who just wants a basic reliable 4x4 unfortunately those are rare as even the famed LC is no longer reliable and cannot be fixed in the bush due to too much software issues!

Is it me or do they all look the same now? 

10 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Is it me or do they all look the same now? 

I thought that too but frightened to mention it here!

geoff

• Haha 1

I have a spare tin hat. ....

Front end is same on all of them,the new Evoque has same front. Wife likes Evoque soft top!

New Defender looks a bit like Skoda Yeti!;)

I like the new Suzuki Jimny,looks like a baby Defender! Separate chassis,low box etc 1. 5 petrol. About £15-17K.

A bit small to tow anything other than small trailer! I may look at one for a second car, especially if they do the softtop version here.

13 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

Front end is same on all of them,the new Evoque has same front. Wife likes Evoque soft top!

I like the new Suzuki Jimny,looks like a baby Defender! Separate chassis,low box etc 1. 5 petrol. About £15-17K.

A bit small to tow anything other than small trailer! I may look at one for a second car, especially if they do the softtop version here.

Thinking the same wrt Jimmy.

I was thinking about an AWD Suzuki Ignis as a second car (we don't actually do any offroad bit we do get slippery winter conditions) but the Jimmy looks fun.

https://goo. gl/images/aCkuHg

Edited by svimes

11 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

We test drove the new Jimny it’s like being in a boat there’s that much body roll. Next door but one has a convertible Evoke in dog ***** brown, it’s minging.

Just sit in a Jimny in the showroom, shake yourself from side to side and you’ll be amazed (not in a good way) how soft the suspension is

2 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

We test drove the new Jimny it’s like being in a boat there’s that much body roll. Next door but one has a convertible Evoke in dog ***** brown, it’s minging.

Just sit in a Jimny in the showroom, shake yourself from side to side and you’ll be amazed (not in a good way) how soft the suspension is

It can't be as bad as the previous one (which was an awesome car in many other respects)

The Mrs crossed the Ignis off her list as you can only get them with a white trim interior, it’s bound to look grubby after a while

4 minutes ago, svimes said:

It can't be as bad as the previous one (which was an awesome car in many other respects)

Two of my team had the last Jimny, and one them her dad has one too (a rare auto with air con); they each loved them to bits, but the two who worked for me eventually got rid as they start to get expensive to run with age (replacing transmission and drivetrain gets expensive) and they also acknowledged they weren’t the smoothest vehicle to drive!

The dad still has his, along with his half-dozen Morris Minors!

Great little cars.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

The Mrs crossed the Ignis off her list as you can only get them with a white trim interior, it’s bound to look grubby after a while

Our current second car has a mostly beige dashboard, at 12 years old it looks pretty good still. I find the black ones (especially Japanese cars) tend to scuff easily. Our previous Suzuki had a very cheap dash but it was robust.

2 minutes ago, svimes said:

Our current second car has a mostly beige dashboard, at 12 years old it looks pretty good still. I find the black ones (especially Japanese cars) tend to scuff easily. Our previous Suzuki had a very cheap dash but it was robust.

We’re on our 2nd Suzuki Swift, current one is a 1. 6 Sport, the previous one was a Turbo Diesel, not a single fault in 10 years of Suzuki ownership 

19 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

We’re on our 2nd Suzuki Swift, current one is a 1. 6 Sport, the previous one was a Turbo Diesel, not a single fault in 10 years of Suzuki ownership 

Same with our Suzuki, though we only had it 3 years. It's now 18 years old, still in the family and still going strong.

In the late 90’s I was a nightclub doorman, one of my colleagues was dating an EasyJet Cabin Crew; can’t remember what his car was but it had an issue one night so he turned up in his girlfriends car - a purple Suzuki X90, he made the mistake of not parking it around the corner. ..he never properly recovered from the abuse we gave him.

3 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

Be sure to have an extended test drive FIRST! They are certainly not a vehicle I would wish to do any appreciable Road mileage in, cramped, noisy, and, in my view, a VERY basic car indeed.

However if you wish to do a fair bit of off roading they are brilliant! 

Andy

Our previous two Jimnys were awesome off road, go anywhere a defender would until the ruts got too deep!