Total Newbie : Advice Please

jessdale

Hi there, we currently have a old trigano trailer tent, after a normal tent, but have decided to go up in the world a get a caravan :D. We will have up to £10k to spend on one and will need a 3-4 berth. We have a `58 plate vw Passat estate 2. 0 td car. I know it is a hard choice of which caravan but what do you guys recommend?. We were thinking of the Bailey Orion 430/4 with the fixed bed?. Any ideas?

:welcome: to Caravan Talk

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I got one of those and we love it- but its one of many

Welcome to the Forum

Sent you a PM (personal message)

More to read here?

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-finance/buying

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Have you decided what sort of bathroom would work best for you? That's the one thing we got wrong last time and it's driving us mad! I reckon you just need to go sit in lots and lots of caravans - the ones you like the feel of, try to envisage where everyone will be when you are using it in reality - whether there's room to put a kettle where the food prep may be going on or whether that space will be in use for a telly, if it's possible (in our case) for child number 1 to finish cleaning teeth whilst child number 2 demands the loo, if there's room to store food in cupboards or whether you're going to have to lift seat cushions and get into underbed lockers every time anyone wants a biscuit or a glass of juice. What works for one person will very definitely not work for another :-)

Do you know your towing limits for the Passat?

hi, we are brand new to caravanning but rather than spend a total fortune, for us maybe not to be sure about it, we bought a cheaper one to start us off at around the 2k mark, do you maybe think that's an awful lot to spend on your very first one? of course if money is no object then fair enough

totally new to all this bought our first cheap van and here to learn!!

My advice would be to spend as small an amount of money as possible (within reason) on a cheap starter van and make sure that caravanning is really for you before you go spending £10k on one. Test the waters, learn the ropes and then make a final decision. Maybe even borrow or rent a van if you can.

1962 Prototype Everyman Folding Caravan "Herbert" & Pennine Aztec Folding Camper, towed by Kia Carens CRDI.

Read my blog - The Outside In - Find it in the Blogs Section!

That's all very good advice. When we bought our first caravan, we had every intention of buying a second hand, cheap starter van. But while we were there, thought we might as well go and look at those nice new shiny ones. ...and before we knew it, a deal was done. Beware!

Have you decided what sort of bathroom would work best for you? That's the one thing we got wrong last time and it's driving us mad! I reckon you just need to go sit in lots and lots of caravans - the ones you like the feel of, try to envisage where everyone will be when you are using it in reality - whether there's room to put a kettle where the food prep may be going on or whether that space will be in use for a telly, if it's possible (in our case) for child number 1 to finish cleaning teeth whilst child number 2 demands the loo, if there's room to store food in cupboards or whether you're going to have to lift seat cushions and get into underbed lockers every time anyone wants a biscuit or a glass of juice. What works for one person will very definitely not work for another :-)

35 years Caravanning and I thought I knew it all. Thank you White Rose for a truly pragmatic and informing post!

Just shows, every day is a learning day,

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Fabulous post and gets home the message.

Best to go round to lots of sales sites sit in and nosey around. We changed our minds on layout lots of times before going with a fixed bed.

You can get a belter for half your budget if you take your time.

Look twice - pay once ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Agree with all the advice here.

What is important to one is not to another. We are on our second and now have the layout right for us so a couple if things to add.

Are you going to be using always on hook up or rallies? For us it is hook up so shower has not been used on either van.

Kids, how many (if any) and age, better if they have their own space at end, door to close off at night?

Making up beds, first van had dinettes at each end, it was such a faf we began to keep one end as a made up bed for the kids. Current van has bunks, this works really well for us.

We did the same as you, tent to trailer tent to van

and not looked back. If only the kids had more (separate) holidays over the good weather!

We only stepped up to caravanning last October after many years of camping. ....you won't look back. I spent many hours researching all different types of vans / advice forums / magazines / etc, but until you start visiting dealers and spending time in the caravans you won't know what's right for you. We spent many weekends looking and just knew when we had stepped into the right one. We hadn't got as much as you to spend but after thrashing the dealer with a wet lettuce got a bargain for £3K.

I would agree with the other posts and don't rush the right van is out there. Oh and the Passat Estate is a great towing car. ..take it from me.

Good Luck !!!

SteveMLewis

Usually drinking cider somewhere B)