Sign in to follow this  
phil1950dog

Tv & Satellite

Has anyone bought the Avtex TV and Easy find antenna offer from Capita stores as advertised in the caravan magazine. Is it any good.

I know the TV is but is the antenna idiot proof!!

We have got the 16" Avtex which I bought 2nd hand off ebay for £120.

We wanted a TV that had the speakers in the front and Avtex was the only one I could find. Having said that I refused to pay £290 for a 16" TV. The TV is very good as the viewing angle is excellent. There are cheaper 12 volt TVs. http://www. tv-village. net/cello-12-volt-tvs-c-33. html

There is some mention on this forum regarding the Avtex aerial. Not rated very well but others may think differently

Hi I know as in my post that that Avtex TV is good i was asking about the easy find satellite system advertised in the Caravan club mag. I dont even know what easy find is. Apart from what I have read.

Hi I have the Avtex TV and apart from the reflective screen is great, screen problem cured with one of these http://www. amazon. co. uk/FX-Antireflex-Screen-Protection-Standard-Display/dp/B002Y2WQ36

Mine didn't have EasyFind on it when purchased but spoke to Avtex and they installed software free of charge (great service)

EasyFind is very good and you just select which satellite you are wanting to find in the menu and away you go no false readings on wrong satellites, just watch LED on the LNB turn from red to amber then green and all set, just remember very slow movements of dish are needed.

Avtex very expensive but great customer care and only have to take TV no extra boxes as you have terrestrial, satellite and DVD in one unit and low power when on just 12v.

Regards macaw

Hi like macaw I have a Avtex 185DRS TV that we have used very successfully in France using a folding 60cm dish, a few months after getting the TV, Avtex added the "easyfind" system to their DRS TV's and can also upgrade earlier TV 's. As a result of this possible upgrade I bought at the NEC show the Avtex flat easyfind traveller dish and tripod kit from Capital Stores. I happened to be in South Wales a week or so ago and called in to Avtex with my TV for the easyfind upgrade, done in about 20 mins at no cost, an excellent service. However when I tried out the system last weekend I could not get the TV to communicate with the easyfind system in the flat dish, I was however able to get a good signal on the flat dish using the tried and tested squeeler sat finder. Not sure if it is the TV or the easyfind LNB so Avtex are going to collect the TV from me and check it out. So in answer to the OP, yes good system when it works. Capital Stores will replace the unit if it is found to be the problem. Pete

Hi Pete

Got to say I had the same problems as you to start with, thought the EasyFind was not installed or not working.

The problem was down to "operator error" lol the instructions to get it running are a bit vague.

Once you find your way around the menu system it works a treat.

The thing to remember is to make sure you've turned EasyFind on or you get no LED working.

Also the thing I found was the LNB needs to be on the dish getting some sort of signal to get LED working as when I had problems tried the LNB beside TV so I could see if and when LED worked it didn't so phone Avtex took a while to realise what I was doing wrong DOH!

If you look at Avtex site on "support" they have an update manual for EasyFind

Hope that helps bet I forget how to work it in France for world cup ;)

regards macaw

I have found “Easy Find” used with a conventional dish is both good and bad.

I am not “sold” on its unaided use, but found in combination with a squealer finder they really compliment each other, making it well worth having.

Standalone its sensitivity means it is difficult to find where you need to concentrate.

But add in a squealer, then that’s inherent lack of sensitivity soon finds areas of interest, long before the traffic lights know anything is there. Then as you hone in on the sweet spot, then importantly the Easy Finds traffic lights quickly confirm if that activity is or is not the right one to concentrate on.

Thanks for that. I have been torn between the easy find flat dish with the Avtex TV or the Aavtex Snipe. I know the Snipe is £400 more than the flat easy find satellite. But it may be worth it as both are made by Avtex in Cardiff. I live in Cardiff.

Have spoken to Avtex tech department and they seem so helpful.

The flat Easy find Satellite is not made by Avtex its imported by Capital stores from Germany (nothing wrong with that) but I may just spent some of my kids inheritance and go for it.

Comments would be welcome.

Phil

Why not simply buy an "Easy-Find" LNB for use with a normal [40mm LNB fitting] dish?

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/like/281276395565?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3. 0. 0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Edit: this is all I have done and use it with my Triax 54 CM dish.

Edited by JTQ

Got to agree with you JTQ a much cheaper option all round, exactly what I did.

LNB is a lot cheaper on Amazon de. where I got mine, I know make no sense at all lol

http://www. amazon. de/Micro-Single-EasyFind-Universal-Garantie/dp/B002OZ7PGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394748243&sr=8-1&keywords=easyfind+lnb

regards macaw

Hi Macaw & JTQ, thanks for that info, I will give it another go this weekend, I thought the led's would light up without any signal, bearing in mind the flat dish has a new system with a numeric display for vertical and a number of small leds for horizontal instead of the traffic light system on the LNB. I like the idea of using the squealer sat finder to get close then fine tuning with the led's. Pete

I like the idea of using the squealer sat finder to get close then fine tuning with the led's. Pete

The "big" asset is that the traffic lights very quickly let you know if the squealling is all about the "right" satellite, not that all the noise is for some other waste of your time satellite.

With the Avtex TV the "Easy-Find" signal is only empowered via Channel 4.

On 12/03/2014 at 08:27, macaw said:

Hi I have the Avtex TV and apart from the reflective screen is great, screen problem cured with one of these http://www. amazon. co. uk/FX-Antireflex-Screen-Protection-Standard-Display/dp/B002Y2WQ36

Mine didn't have EasyFind on it when purchased but spoke to Avtex and they installed software free of charge (great service)

EasyFind is very good and you just select which satellite you are wanting to find in the menu and away you go no false readings on wrong satellites, just watch LED on the LNB turn from red to amber then green and all set, just remember very slow movements of dish are needed.

Avtex very expensive but great customer care and only have to take TV no extra boxes as you have terrestrial, satellite and DVD in one unit and low power when on just 12v.

Regards macaw

Thanks very handy info for both anti screen glare and the software upgrade.

Just buy a £26 Sky dish plus £20 satellite tripod plus Easifind LNB.

The Easifind LNB fits the standard Sky bracket £3 all available post free on EBay.

Thats what I occasionally use with a matching Freesat box.

Usuall set up is Humax twin tuner £75 2nd hand ebay(4000 series)

Plus £30 SF500 sat finder-preprogrammed to find only the 28.2 satellites(freesat/sky) plus Sky Quad LNB £20 plus 26 inch Panasonic tv(free)

Downsides are the LNB arm needs fitted to the dish then the LNB plus holder needs fitted to the arm.

A Maxview plastic dish would be easier to set up but £160 and the LNB would be neither easy find or quad(4 signal supplies to 4 tuners ie record 3 programmes while watching 1 simultaneously)

9 hours ago, ancell said:

Just buy a £26 Sky dish plus £20 satellite tripod plus Easifind LNB.

The Easifind LNB fits the standard Sky bracket £3 all available post free on EBay.

Thats what I occasionally use with a matching Freesat box.

Usuall set up is Humax twin tuner £75 2nd hand ebay(4000 series)

Plus £30 SF500 sat finder-preprogrammed to find only the 28.2 satellites(freesat/sky) plus Sky Quad LNB £20 plus 26 inch Panasonic tv(free)

Downsides are the LNB arm needs fitted to the dish then the LNB plus holder needs fitted to the arm.

A Maxview plastic dish would be easier to set up but £160 and the LNB would be neither easy find or quad(4 signal supplies to 4 tuners ie record 3 programmes while watching 1 simultaneously)

You did notice that OP is over 5 years old?  :D

👍😂😂

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

You did notice that OP is over 5 years old?  :D

about the time when people stopped watching live TV :lol:

HI every one. Can someone help a thick old man with regard to the topic. Does a Avtex tv need a separate box (Sky or Freesat) together satellite tv, or do I need just a dish. Thanks. Len

You need just the dish kit, the Avtex has a built in satellite decoder.

Note this is neither Sky or Freesat it is a generic type that can be set to pull in signals from a whole host of satellites.

That said, I am assuming you want the TV channels we get here in the UK from normal terrestrial TV IE Freeview; with few exceptions it gets all of those using a cluster of satellites called Astra 28.2.

A downside of the generic type of decoders is that unlike, say Freesat [trade mark] you don't get a practical electronic programme guide to plan your evening and following days viewing.

32 minutes ago, JTQ said:

You need just the dish kit, the Avtex has a built in satellite decoder.

Note this is neither Sky or Freesat it is a generic type that can be set to pull in signals from a whole host of satellites.

That said, I am assuming you want the TV channels we get here in the UK from normal terrestrial TV IE Freeview; with few exceptions it gets all of those using a cluster of satellites called Astra 28.2.

A downside of the generic type of decoders is that unlike, say Freesat [trade mark] you don't get a practical electronic programme guide to plan your evening and following days viewing.

The OP hasn't actually specified which model he's got so your answer may be incorrect. 

It will depend on the actual model of AVTEX TV and whether it's fitted with an inbuilt satellite decoder. I'm guessing that most of the latest one probably do but not necessarily all models.

When I had an Avtex TV it didn't have an inbuilt satellite decoder:unsure:

45 minutes ago, matelodave said:

The OP hasn't actually specified which model he's got so your answer may be incorrect. 

It will depend on the actual model of AVTEX TV and whether it's fitted with an inbuilt satellite decoder. I'm guessing that most of the latest one probably do but not necessarily all models.

When I had an Avtex TV it didn't have an inbuilt satellite decoder:unsure:

Did LenV say he had any model Avtex?

Whatever current model he might have or buy, and probably pre used and older ones going back 5 years will have the satellite decoder.

Thanks guys for you help. Have not got a Avtex yet but going to see them this weekend. Len

On 13/03/2014 at 19:54, phil1950dog said:

Thanks for that. I have been torn between the easy find flat dish with the Avtex TV or the Aavtex Snipe. I know the Snipe is £400 more than the flat easy find satellite. But it may be worth it as both are made by Avtex in Cardiff. I live in Cardiff.

Have spoken to Avtex tech department and they seem so helpful.

The flat Easy find Satellite is not made by Avtex its imported by Capital stores from Germany (nothing wrong with that) but I may just spent some of my kids inheritance and go for it.

Comments would be welcome.

Phil

Flat panel dishes suffer from two important weaknesses

1 if the LNB  goes faulty that’s your dish US

2 the LNB is not upgradable

Other consideration is price eBay Sky dish inc LNB cable etc -£40 plus satellite tripod £20. add £30 if you want seeking LNB.