Fridge Lock

gumpo

I'm getting more concerned about the locking fittment on the top of my fridge (Pageant Vendee) and this weekends trip has nearly caused it to snap. My question is can this be replaced if it does break? Or is there a simple solution?? Perhaps I'm applying too much force when trying to open it?

I only ensure it's fully locked when on the move otherwise when parked it's closed but not locked. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks

Glenn :blink:

If it is the slide across type then I too have had a problem getting it to lock unless I apply quite a bit of pressure to the base of the door to lift it about 2 mm. :( Further investigation has revealed that the bottom hinge joint at the pivot point has a pin which the door pivots on (if you get my meaning). The door on the dometic fridge in my van had about 2-3 mm free play up & down.

This pin fitting is screwed into the hinge flange (sorry lots of fancy words here but hope you can follow) & I have undone the pin by turning it 2 or three turns which has effectively lifted the door by the 2-3 mm necessary to ensure the sliding door lock now latches into place quite happily :) The pin fitting on the bottom hinge joint appears to be round but there are a couple of "flats" on it which will take a pair of pliers.

Ideally a couple of washers should go under the pin where it has been undone but that would involve partially removing the fridge from its mount to dismantle the fitting & that doesn't interest me too much so I plan to cut a slot in a couple of washers and then slide them under the pin & tighten it back against the flange to keep the adjustment where the the latch will work. An alternative plan would be to alter the position of the fitting that the lock latches to but in my case the freezer door above also uses the same fitting to lock and any movement would put that out of adjustment & give me a problem with that lock! :) The problem is that the fitting for the locks to latch to is just a tad too short but my solution has worked and the adjustment I've made has not affected the door seal.

I imagine Mr Sheens will have a better plan but hope he will still give me a job when I come to the UK on my working holiday!!!!!!!! :lol:

JL

Edited by John Lee

our door appears to have dropped too, we were just discussinghow to lift it and now we know.

But if it is the plastic slidy accross bit then I have just paid £8. 99 (probably too much but we needed it quick!) for a replacement one and they just snap on and off in a trice.

Hi gumpo, can you tell me what year the vendee is, because on my vendee the fridge lock is more like a catch which one bit is connected to the door and the receiver bit is on the fridge body so when you close the door it clips together, but there is a slidey thing which i havent found out what is does yet?.

rustygates.

Guest mr_sheens

well this is a real easy fix. with time the door drops a little on the fridge, stopping the catch from sliding across and locking onto the pin on the fridge.

take the fridge door off completely. its only held on with on screw which is fitted to the top edge of the top hinge. place a couple of small washers over the pin in the bottom hinge, then refit the door. this then lifts the door and heypresto, the catch slides and locks ok. ...........next. :D

Hi gumpo, can you tell me what year the vendee is, because on my vendee the fridge lock is more like a catch which one bit is connected to the door and the receiver bit is on the fridge body so when you close the door it clips together, but there is a slidey thing which i havent found out what is does yet?.

rustygates.

Sounds like you have the Thetford fridge, which is in Pageants from 2003.

If it is, the "slidey thing" is a clip for holding the door slightly open to prevent mould inside when not in use.

Brian

Sounds like you have the Thetford fridge, which is in Pageants from 2003.

If it is, the "slidey thing" is a clip for holding the door slightly open to prevent mould inside when not in use.

Brian

The ":slidey thing" on my machine not only holds it in the the "slightly ajar" position but also in the "tightly shut" position :)

Good job too - goo all over the floor is not a nice option :lol:

JL

well this is a real easy fix. with time the door drops a little on the fridge, stopping the catch from sliding across and locking onto the pin on the fridge.

take the fridge door off completely. its only held on with on screw which is fitted to the top edge of the top hinge. place a couple of small washers over the pin in the bottom hinge, then refit the door. this then lifts the door and heypresto, the catch slides and locks ok. ...........next. :D

Well Mr Sheens - I knew you'd have the easy way - have I "done my chips" for that working holiday job at Reads when I come to the UK? :rolleyes:

JL

Edited by John Lee

The ":slidey thing" on my machine not only holds it in the the "slightly ajar" position but also in the "tightly shut" position :)

Good job too - goo all over the floor is not a nice option :lol:

JL

Well Mr Sheens - I knew you'd have the easy way - have I "done my chips" for that working holiday job at Reads when I come to the UK? :rolleyes:

JL

Hi people, thanks for the replies. The fittment is a clip on the top right of the fridge, by the temperature control switch. It's more of a clasp I guess, which is why I'm concerned it may snap at some point as it's plastic. The van was built in October 2004.

regards

Guest mr_sheens

let me know which make and model of fridge it is and i`ll tell you how to fix it. it could be either a dometic or thetford fridge. the dometic model number is on a sticker inside the fridge usually on the left side near the bottom. if its a thetford fridge, the model numebr is on a sticker underneath the salad tray at the bottom.

john lee,

will you be ok travelling from new zealand every morning? im concerned you might be a bit late! :lol:

let me know which make and model of fridge it is and i`ll tell you how to fix it. it could be either a dometic or thetford fridge. the dometic model number is on a sticker inside the fridge usually on the left side near the bottom. if its a thetford fridge, the model numebr is on a sticker underneath the salad tray at the bottom.

john lee,

will you be ok travelling from new zealand every morning? im concerned you might be a bit late! :lol:

Cripes I thought you might let me "bunk up" in one of the caravans in the yard :rolleyes: then I could just go home for the weekends :lol:

JL

Edited by John Lee

this weekends trip has nearly caused it to snap. My question is can this be replaced if it does break? Or is there a simple solution??

If its a Dometic transit lock theres a good chance it will break as the metal actuating lever for the latch mechanism on the fridge fits between two flimsy plastic tabs under the sliding lock slider.

Last Summer one of these tabs snapped on ours without much resistance at all but luckily I managed to repair and reinforce both sides with a blob of Araldite on its base and it's been OK since.

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

If its a Dometic transit lock theres a good chance it will break as the metal actuating lever for the latch mechanism on the fridge fits between two flimsy plastic tabs under the sliding lock slider.

Last Summer one of these tabs snapped on ours without much resistance at all but luckily I managed to repair and reinforce both sides with a blob of Araldite on its base and it's been OK since.

Steve

I can see what you mean - when our lock was a bit tight to operate (because the door was a tad too low) the lever actually jumped out of the plastic tabs & jammed the lock in the full on position which effectively kept the door from closing fully. When I dismantled it to sort it out I identified the potential for failure of those tabs. A dollop of car bog (well that's what we call it :lol: ) to reinforce each tab would make a good job of it too :)

JL

I had this problem on my 2004 Oklahoma and thats exacly what I done took the door off ond put a couple of flat washers on the pin worked ever since

All the Best Derek

• 2 years later...

I have resurrected this thread because. .....

I have a Thetford Fridge on my 2006 Pageant Provence and last week the 'clasp' snapped breaking the retaining slots from the top of the door.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the fridge door insert? It appears to be riveted in place.

Many thanks for your help.

Neil.