Can I Tow 1500 Kilos With 1430 Kilo Kerb Weight Mpv

ancell

Oh no I want to get a new design Picasso C4 grand to tow my Swift Challenger 540 2007 MTPL 1500 kilos.

My present tow car the Ford Galaxy kerb weight 1803 pulls it no bother.

On paper the 7 seat MPV is authorised to pull 1700 kilos unbraked BUT the cars kerb weight looks to low IE

kerb weight 1430 mass in service 1705mass laden weight2250max braked towing weight 1700 kilos.

Data from the brochure.

I will have to get authorisation from motability to tow.

Am I correct

1 On paper 1500 kilos is ok.

2 the cars weight is suspect despite the brochure data.

My concern is that the caravan will control the car.

Personally an absolute no but others will say otherwise.

I have towed up to 100% in the past and would never go back to that. I now keep around the 90%.

You also have to realise that most caravans when loaded will be over the max allowed weight!!!!

Be safe.

Towing 1500-1700kg of bricks in a small trailer is a lot different to towing a 1500kg caravan which is much longer, wider and higher. Although the car might be technically capable of pulling the weight it might not be heavy enough to control a caravan which gets blown off course by a passing lorry or is trying to ride the ruts.

I am happy to pull at about90- 95% with my S-Max as its got a nice long wheelbase, likewise, our C-Max had a short over hang and reasonable kerbweight of 1540 so we towed 1420 with it (93%) - I don't know what the C4 is like but in my opinion it's just not heavy enough to be safe unless you have it full of people or stuff - then you need to check your GTW.

My present combination is 1750kg kerbweight for the car and 1600kg MTPLM for the van = 91% which is comfortable

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Currently I am legal in terms of the gross train weight but my rig and car are at between 85 to 90% and I feel her sometimes but mostly the ride is pretty smooth. The one thing you need to do if you are going to the limit or over the suggested weights, is to make sure your rig is loaded properly. Don't balance her nose by loading the back and keep heavy items low down over the axle.

After time things find their way into the top cupboards and get forgotten. Try this. Take a suitcase or big plastic box and put everything in it that's in the top boxes, you will see what you are loading up top then. When I did it last year, I swear I couldn't lift the box, it was that scary. If you have more than 15kg in your overhead lockers, you are cruising for a bruising.

Front and back offset loading and overly heavy top boxes are the biggest reason for unstable vans and many accidents. Also keep track of your tyre pressures as well.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Is the Kerbweight quoted for the generic base model Citroen or your specific one?

IMHO it is the Mass In Service of the specific model vehicle you buy but that will be important and needs to be more than the 1500kg. (On the V5 often nowadays).

My FL2 was 'from 1705kg' in the brochure but almost 2 tonnes in fact (off the V5).

However, finding anyone who can give you a 100% authoritative figure for the car you want to have may be near-impossible!

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

My caravan supplier states the car is to light its their policy to go on kerb weight absolute max 100%.

Kerb weight is for the vehicle spec I want.

What a bummer I wanted the C4.

Back to the neandertal Ford Galaxy.

You need to look at

My caravan supplier states the car is to light its their policy to go on kerb weight absolute max 100%.

Your supplier has a good policy IMHO. :)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Yes and I am sticking with that advice.

Its a motability vehicle so its back to the hunt.

Yes and I am sticking with that advice.

Its a motability vehicle so its back to the hunt.

Does it have to be an MPV? - What about a crossover SUV ??? Usually have better weight allowances and many have good 2wd options these days.

Mahatma Gandhi

I am disabled so it must be easily accessed and the 7 seat capability is very useful for the family-and the wife who being a woman tends to need 4 suitcases for a weekend visit :D

I am disabled so it must be easily accessed and the 7 seat capability is very useful for the family-and the wife who being a woman tends to need 4 suitcases for a weekend visit :D

Gosh only 4 suitcases. I will have to get her to speak to my wife. :D

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Gosh only 4 suitcases. I will have to get her to speak to my wife. :D

poolebob

Exactly what I was thinking :o - My wife has one suitcase of bloomin makeup! - And then she wants to take the food processor etc. ..

Mahatma Gandhi

the parents of one of our foster kids had a 7 seater santa fe on motability. Mind you that was over 3 years ago as they've given it back now. Not sure how much they had to pay up front either.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

What is the actual weight of the vehicle and caravan each likely to be at the time of towing?

Oh no I want to get a new design Picasso C4 grand to tow my Swift Challenger 540 2007 MTPL 1500 kilos.

My present tow car the Ford Galaxy kerb weight 1803 pulls it no bother.

On paper the 7 seat MPV is authorised to pull 1700 kilos unbraked BUT the cars kerb weight looks to low IE

kerb weight 1430 mass in service 1705mass laden weight2250max braked towing weight 1700 kilos.

Data from the brochure.

I will have to get authorisation from motability to tow.

Am I correct

1 On paper 1500 kilos is ok.

2 the cars weight is suspect despite the brochure data.

i can't understand why the kerb weight is less than the Mass in service. ours is the opposite way round.

something doesn't add up with those figures.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

kerb weight 1430

mass in service 1705

mass laden weight 2250max

braked towing weight 1700 kilos.

I do not understand how the 1430 Kerbweight becomes 1705 kg Mass In Service. That's an enormous 230 kg discrepancy.

Even though it probably does not include 75kg for a driver. ..

I strongly suspect the lower figure Citroen quote as KW is, in fact, the Unladen Weight (or DRY weight) of the vehicle and not the 'ready to run' with full fluids, fuel, tools etc. ,. that we assume Kerb Weight to include (driver optional).

The auto Grand C4 Exclusive+ version I just 'specced' was 1476 and 1710 with a max braked tow of 1600 and woefully low 70kg noseweight!!

I'd be more worried about that being too low to be usable with your caravan (the manual C4 may be higher?).

(For those who want, see the form vehicle makers have to fill in for Ireland: Kerbweight is not there but Unladen Weight, Gross Vehicle Weight and Mass in Service are all 'defined' http://www. revenue. ie/en/tax/vrt/forms/formvrt40. pdf )

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

ROG

The problem is how would I know?

I am not messing about weighing stuff I would much rather just get a vehicle capable of doing the job.

My caravan dealer states that my swift challenger 540 MTPL 1500 kilos cannot be towed by a 7 seat C4.

They have had problems with Citroen Renault Nissan and Vauxhall MPVs not being up to the job.

Can you take a test drive and your route might just take you past a public weigh bridge--------------------

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

ROG

I am not messing about weighing stuff I would much rather just get a vehicle capable of doing the job.

My caravan dealer states that my swift challenger 540 MTPL 1500 kilos cannot be towed by a 7 seat C4.

They have had problems with Citroen Renault Nissan and Vauxhall MPVs not being up to the job.

Certainly my Touran would hae no problem wiht 1500kg. .. As it tows that regularly. The newer model is lighter though.

Mahatma Gandhi

Thing is -- you might ( according to makers ) be able to tow 1500kg up a 12% hill ( the normal criteria )-- what happens when you reach a 15% hill----------

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

ROG

Load up as per what you would normally do and take to a weighbridge

Only needs to be done the once because that will give you a basis for the future

Thing is -- you might ( according to makers ) be able to tow 1500kg up a 12% hill ( the normal criteria )-- what happens when you reach a 15% hill----------

This. ...

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=gQSTMYNqBW8

Mahatma Gandhi

Whilst the quoted kerbweight may well be the dry weight without fluids + driver, the thing I really don't like the look of is the 70kg max noseweight that Rodders53 mentioned! the CC guide recommends 6% of MPTLM (i. e. 0. 6 x 1500 = 90kg).

Back to the subject of kerbweight, I'd try to get a dealer to give you a test drive that includes a stop at your local weighbridge.

How do folks feel about a Mondeo Estate with a 1615kg kerbweight and a 2200kg towing limit? It's GVW is only a bit above the max. towing weight at 2360kg. No mention of a noseweight on the stats I've seen. It's a Titanium X Sport 2. 2TDCi Automatic.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.