Unicorn 2 Cartagena Shower Problem - No Not The Dreaded Leak!

kirkauld

Hi all,

We took delivery of our new Cartagena in December and it has been brilliant; however we now have a problem with the shower.

For the first month or so it was fine but now whenever we have a shower the pressure from the shower head pulses with the pump going on and off resulting with the flow lessening and then coming back up again every 2 to 3 seconds; when it does this the temp gets hotter as the flow drops off and returns to normal when the pressure rises.

The shower head is not blocked and the shower mixer fully open. Nothing whatsoever has been altered/adjusted since we first got the van.

Yes we can take it back to the supplying dealer but just wondering if there is a simple reason/solution.

Thanks

John

2014 Bailey Unicorn 2 Cartagena / 2006 Ford Explorer V8

have you checked that your water pump is not pulsing, your pressure switch may need adjusting, It can require a slight different setting depending is your running on 12v or EHU

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

in my caravan handbook it tells me how to adjust it

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

There is no ajustable pressure switch in this system.

I have read somewhere that the system should be drained regularly to maintain an air buffer in the top of the Alde boiler, could it be this? Have you drained and re-filled?

Also there is a damper by the pump this may be faulty.

I would start off with a drain and refill.

Other than that is there a restriction in the incoming water supply?

Does the water from the tap pulse in the shower room?

If that's ok try removing or adjusting the shower head.

If all the taps are OK it sounds like a restriction in either the shower valve, pipe or head ao perhaps even a crushed or twisted pipe. Pulsing of the water supply tens to indicate a very low flow rate. Don't try fiddling with the pressure switch but have a look at the washers in the hose & shower head to ensure that they haven't been displaced.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Xtrailman - Water doesn't pulse from fully open tap in shower room. Have removed shower head which is clear and the Ecocamel shower head fitted is non adjustable; still pulsing with shower valve fully open.

Matelo Dave - Washers in shower head and hose are fine and not displaced

Rushallmanor - have drained system once but will do so again to see if it does make a difference. So it could be the damper or the pump's 'non adjustable' pressure switch.

Strange it only happens with the shower and so perhaps the pressure switch in the pump has gone faulty? It certainly worked well for the first month or so as I said before and nothing has been changed.

Will try these ideas over the next couple of days and report back with the findings.

Many thanks for your replies so far.

John

Don't fiddle with the pressure switch - you'll void your warranty. Just ring up the dealer or even Whale. Although if all the taps are working OK then it points to the shower mixer/plumbing causing a restriction.

The dealer should sort it out for you under warranty but won't if you've damaged any seals on the pump

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Don't fiddle with the pressure switch - you'll void your warranty. Just ring up the dealer or even Whale. Although if all the taps are working OK then it points to the shower mixer/plumbing causing a restriction.

The dealer should sort it out for you under warranty but won't if you've damaged any seals on the pump

Totally agree with you and have no intention of trying to adjust the pressure switch.

I will drain the system down and see if this makes any difference. Hard to see why it is only the shower affected unless it is the mixer.

Would a faulty damper cause the problem?

Pretty sure this will be going back to the dealer pretty soon!

Quick update.

Removed shower head and operated shower mixer; no pulsing except when over to fully hot. For normal temp use e. g. Mid way position fully open water came out of hose perfectly!

Scratching head now; is it the pump not giving high enough pressure?

I think I'll prepare dealer for return visit!!

Sounds like there could be a restriction in the hot supply to the shower, must be after the sink "take off"

or as I said before the systen need draining, inc boiler.

this was taken from the Bailey manual section 19 page 46 in my copy

"The hot water is not intended for drinking or
cooking. When the heater is in continuous use,
it should be emptied approx, once a month, to
ensure that a new air cushion is formed in the
heater. The air cushion is essential for absorbing pressure
surges in the heater. For emptying specially-adapted
boilers, as well as any other fresh water systems in the
vehicle, please refer to the manufacturer’s instructions."

Interesting first I've heard of draining every month, or a air cushion being required.

But seeing we never tour for more than two weeks, it shouldn't apply to use, we always drain before leaving site.

Sounds like there could be a restriction in the hot supply to the shower, must be after the sink "take off"

or as I said before the systen need draining, inc boiler.

this was taken from the Bailey manual section 19 page 46 in my copy

"The hot water is not intended for drinking or

cooking. When the heater is in continuous use,

it should be emptied approx, once a month, to

ensure that a new air cushion is formed in the

heater. The air cushion is essential for absorbing pressure

surges in the heater. For emptying specially-adapted

boilers, as well as any other fresh water systems in the

vehicle, please refer to the manufacturer’s instructions."

Will drain down hot water and refill; hopefully this will sort it! If not dealer here I come!!

We had this problem on our U2 Valencia once when showering, I hadn't got the shower tap on fully & it kept cycling hot/cold. Problem solved as soon as I put it on full, these pumps don't maintain a constant flow when partially open. As others have suggested it does seem that you probably have a twisted feed pipe, possibly behind the shower panel. If the dealer has to remove this make sure it is well sealed after refitting the panel. Our Valencia had the dreaded water leak, got under the plastic floor protector at the bottom of the laundry basket & water also came out on the side against the bed, poured water from a jug in the corners, it pe. .. out!

Managed to remove the plastic, it's a long way down into the laundry basket!! Needed long nose plyers & a knife to cut it.

Shower control could do with being a thermostatic type, not very safe as hot is very hot! Could also do with symbols on top of the tap showing which way is hot, tap has them . . underneath.

you mentioned the Eco camel shower head have you tried with a standard shower head or are the Eco camel now the standard fitting ? I believe the Eco Camel heads mix water and air could this be the problem?

Regards

Doug

2016 Ssangyong Rexton EX 2. 2 auto & 2018 Bailey series 4 Pampalona.

There is no ajustable pressure switch in this system.

I have read somewhere that the system should be drained regularly to maintain an air buffer in the top of the Alde boiler, could it be this? Have you drained and re-filled?

Also there is a damper by the pump this may be faulty.

I would start off with a drain and

Other than that is there a restriction in the incoming water supply?

Well tried the drain and refill of the water system today and it has made a major difference.

Not completely cured because after about 10seconds of running the shower the water pressure drops off a bit and the water becomes hotter before pump kicks in again and temp returns to normal. I will ask the dealer if this remaining problem could be the damper is faulty?

Anyway a lot better and will monitor over the next few days to see how it progresses. I suppose draining the water once a month with continuous use isn't too bad but more frequently could become a pain. I am surprised that there is this requirement but the positives of the Alde system outweigh this disadvantage.

Are you actually turning the shower full on?

I doubt very much that its the damper (it's only an empty space), it's sounds like you don't have a high enough water flow so the pump is turning itself on & off because the system pressure is varying - you should be able to replicate it by partially turning on the kitchen or washbasin tap. .

If all the other taps are fine then logic dictates that it's the shower. Either the plumbing to it, the mixer valve, hose or shower head.

If it runs OK when the shower head is removed then the head is overly restricting the flow. Try a shower head from indoors or even a cheap one from B&Q

Edited by matelodave

We had this exact same problem on our Mira shower at home. The cause was a slightly clogged gauze filter located in the mixer block in the hot water feed. Not sure if the shower mixer block in the Baileys have these filters or not, but once cleaned our shower works perfectly.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Are you actually turning the shower full on?

I doubt very much that its the damper (it's only an empty space), it's sounds like you don't have a high enough water flow so the pump is turning itself on & off because the system pressure is varying - you should be able to replicate it by partially turning on the kitchen or washbasin tap. .

If all the other taps are fine then logic dictates that it's the shower. Either the plumbing to it, the mixer valve, hose or shower head.

If it runs OK when the shower head is removed then the head is overly restricting the flow. Try a shower head from indoors or even a cheap one from B&Q

Spoke with our dealer today and after running through everything with him he is pretty sure the problem is with the pump.

We are going to book it in for 10 days in May while we are on holiday in Australia. This will give him the time to change out the pump and carry out a full check of the system including 'firing up' the Alde system and trying the shower to ensure the new pump solves the problem.

Luckily the problem is not bad enough to stop us using the van and we are quite happy to wait until May to get it sorted.

I will post the outcome of changing the pump when tried and tested.

John