Runflat Tyres

david 1220

Hi,

We are coming up for a coplete change of " boots " ( tyres ) for the car . Have been thinking of getting a set of runflat tyres - have you any experiance of these type of tyres ?

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Yes. . Twice on two BMWs

I personally cannot wait until they wear out, so I can ditch them for a far more comfortable 'normal' tyre! The difference on my 5 series from run flats to normal was night and day. The run flats were hard and you felt every pot hole. I changed a full set once they'd worn, and the difference was noticeable instantly in mine and my wives opinion. The only downfall is that I had to buy a spare wheel kit for the 'empty' wheel well.

So me personally, i'd never buy run flats if I have a choice.

As I understand you will need to fit a pressure monitoring system and you probably won't like the ride they give you.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Don't do it

Long and short, they ruin the ride, wear out far too quickly (especially on the shoulders), and are prohibitively expensive

The current run-flat tyres are far removed from the earlier ones.

They are much more comfortable, the early ones being too rigid. As with most `new` ideas they develop rapidly, so don`t make the mistake of thinking they give a ride akin to Fred Flintstones car, it ain`t so!

Having said that, if you have space to accommodate a spare then there is no way I would swap to run-flats. They are considerably more expensive and your choice of tyres is limited. Yes, they are great to get you home (if you are within range), but the tyre is invariably scrap when it has been run deflated for any length of time (50miles is usually the max), and then odds-on the dealer won`t have a replacement in stock anyway.

My car is fitted with run-flats but I don`t have anywhere to put a spare so thats what it will stay on. Having said that, I use water-based slime in the tyres to seal any punctures now, as being able to do 50 miles on a flat tyre is of little use if you`re 150 miles from home and everywhere is shut.

I have had 2 BMW's on run flats, still have one of them but I would change them to normal tyres any day, my problem is the 2 rear's are like new, the fronts will need replacing this year. I'm led to believe the ride would improve it would certainly improve the rough surface feel I'm sure.

To get round the comment Angus made about dealers not having one when you need it most especially when towing I carry a used spare, tyre only that is, any tyre company should be able to fit it, they wont fit in the well provided but a space saver would, but I would not want to tow on one of them.

As pointed out they are too expensive so stay with what you have, I would.

Don't do it. I have had two minis with run flats and has been said the ride is shocking and the Pirelli ones i had on the cooper s were shocking in the damp, it was like driving on ice.

Whilst I am sure that manufacturers have improved both the tyres and the suspension set up the cost alone would put me off.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

id also check insurance requirements - if you change to or from run-flats. .....

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

I think there is a known issue with run flats transmitting too much shock loading to the rims and the rims cracking.

I think there is a known issue with run flats transmitting too much shock loading to the rims and the rims cracking.

Thats a new one.

Some BMWs had problems with cracking alloys after hitting potholes (what are they :unsure: ?) with a couple of wheel patterns, but it wasn`t linked to the tyres as it was the rims not the tyres or suspension.

Even with run-flats, there is less disturbance than with in my previous Passat Estate or my brothers Insignia.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and heresay on the subject from people with no direct experience or means of comparison about run-flats.

I still wouldn`t opt for them as a choice, though.

Don't do it, the ride is too hard.

Honda CRV 2009 & Bailey Pageant Bordeaux S7, 2008

Absolutely shocking.

I had them on my Cooper S.

Got rid of them as soon as I could. The difference in handling, road noise, cost, etc etc.

Is night & day.

2014 Sterling Elite Explorer pulled by 3L V6 Navara Now with Kampa Rally Air 390 Awning,and Powertouch AWD Mover

2nd BMW both with run flats current car with 20" and I have not noticed a hard ride at all and I have a neck problem from an old accident so tend to notice bumps. Cost is clearly an issue but then I have the space normally taken by a spare wheel.

Sam :beardy:

Remember car suspensions are designed and set up to suit a particular type of tyre.

It might pay to ask Skoda for their advice if you are still thinking of going ahead.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Remember car suspensions are designed and set up to suit a particular type of tyre.

It might pay to ask Skoda for their advice if you are still thinking of going ahead.

poolebob

Good thinking.

Sam :beardy:

Hi,

Thanks to all for the replys ---- the idea has hit the dust ! Found somthing interesting though, if i order my tyres from Asda ( Yep -that one ! ) i have to go to Halfords to have them fitted- and pay Halfords £xxx. If i order from tyrebookers i have to go to the same Halfords branch for the same tyres but at --- a lower price ! All very odd, Ah well !

david

Absolutely shocking.

I had them on my Cooper S.

Got rid of them as soon as I could. The difference in handling, road noise, cost, etc etc.

Is night & day.

Nearly spec'd my wife's Cooper S up with run flats, didn't in the end, looks like I made a wise choice Realwood.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Vehicles designed for run flats have softer suspension and tpms.

You would need to check with vehicle manufacturer and insurance.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The latest BMW's F20 1 Series, F30 3 Series and F10 5 Series have all had their suspension tuned to better cope with runflats. This is improved suspension technology not a massive leap in tyre technology.

Even so runflats still give a harder ride and they are less progressive near the limit of traction especially in the wet.

On models that are aimed at the more comfortable end of the market such as the SE BMW now fit non runflats as standard. And at the sport end of the market where handling is priority the M and M-Lite cars are fitted with non runflat tyres.

Spend anytime on BMW forums and the best known improvement is to ditch the runflats.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

My wife has a BMW 1 series with run flat tyres. When driving her car I find them to be a very uncomforable ride. Regarding the price, she wanted four new ones for her car. BMW wanted £125 per tyre, my local tyre fitter quoted £100 each for exactly the same tyre. Worth shopping around.

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Thats a new one.

Some BMWs had problems with cracking alloys after hitting potholes (what are they :unsure: ?) with a couple of wheel patterns, but it wasn`t linked to the tyres as it was the rims not the tyres or suspension.

Even with run-flats, there is less disturbance than with in my previous Passat Estate or my brothers Insignia.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and heresay on the subject from people with no direct experience or means of comparison about run-flats.

I still wouldn`t opt for them as a choice, though.

Information given by my local independent tyre fitter of some 40 years standing after I asked about run flats on a relations car.

Hi,

Well thanks to the feed back i ditched the idea of runflats-- had a further rethink and decided to go for 4 seasons tyres instead. Having looked on the internet for feed back decided to go for Goodyear Vector 4 seasons.

I then went after best price and ended up ordering on line to be fitted at home for -- £138. 40 each wereas a national tyre dpt wanted £176. 65. So the job is -- i hope done ! Will see on Wed .

david

Well,

the Large van turned up -- hour and a half early ! lad set to and had them all done in less than an hour.

have only driven 3 miles as of yet but they seem O. K.- first test will be the weekend- off to a rally-- in a field.

david