Van Choice, Looking For Larger Fridge

Marshaldog

hi all,

We are working on changing our caravan, and have various criteria to fit. One problem is a limitation to under 25 feet overall length.

Whilst looking around, we have seen a couple of larger caravans with a really good large fridge, one example is the Bailey Unicorn Barcelona.

The question is does anyone know of shorter vans, under 25' that have such a fridge? I know the latest pegasus gt65 does have one, but the layout doesn't suit us (transverse bed, unnecessarily small shower)

Any thoughts welcomed, thanks. .

Marshaldog Mike

Abbey GTS 419

Funnily enough I looked at a pristine Coachman Amara 450/2 2007

today at Chipping Sodbury caravans Bristol.

I have never seen such a huge fridge, complete with salad drawer,

sadly it was 50kg more than I could tow.

Big shower/bathroom as well under £8000

Edited by gumdrop

Marshaldog

We have a 2011 Bailey Almeria which has the same large fridge/freezer as the Barcelona, but on a single axle 23 foot van, MTLM 1595kg. Unfashionably it has a rear corner bathroom rather than full width, and went out of production in 2011. We tow it quite comfortably (most of the time) with a 2. 2 CRV. Maybe because of the high centre of gravity caused by the fridge it is quite susceptible to side winds and passing Transit-type vans. The fridge was a key selling point for us as we take long trips to France and want to cut the repetitive shopping trips to a minimum by being able to stock up for longer. On the negative side, we were in Corsica last summer in very high temperatures and the fridge packed up altogether for a while. Normally the freezer part keeps down to minus 10 - minus 15, but depends on ambient temperature. The fridge also developed a fault on the circuit board which prevented it changing to battery or gas, but this was fixed without quible under warranty by our very helpful Bailey dealer in Bradford.

Hi

We have had motorhomes with the tall Thetford fridge freezer and also the latest van has the tall Dometic fridge freezer. Despite the latter claiming it has a higher capacity, it is not the case in my opition. The position and style of shelves and the low height of the salad tray all limit what can be stored. In the Thetford for example, you could fill the salad box with cans of pop. The Dometic salad bin can only take cans that are laid down. Same for the small beer bottles.

This article shows some pics but those Pepsi cans are the 250 ml version, not the standard 330!

If you have a choice of a Thetford or Dometic, the former is the best in my opinion. Also, I bought extra shelves in my Thetford, they were a lot easier to get hold of and a lot cheaper than the Dometic shelves.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Going to get shot-down here but, never the less, i'm going to say . ... German.

Hobby Premium 460UFe 140L Slim-Tower Fridge (Designed by Hobby, built by Dometic)

Better built, better looks, and better price than the Uk 'vans. - I took delivery of my 560 earlier this year, and she's FAB!

Edited by ADG

Al.

As mentioned above, the only UK built van I've ever seen on a single axle with a big fridge is the Bailey Unicorn Almeria

Reading Caravans - Main dealers for Bailey, Swift Group and Lunar

Servicing, warranty and repair work available.

We also offer motor Movers, Covers, Awnings and more from our on-site shop

Contact me on 01189 888111 or ed. ewer@readingcaravans. com

Thanks for your replies and Elliot, great, that's sent us down a different path. The selling point you mention is exactly the case, we often go on short week breaks that don't need to be interrupted by shopping :)

Layout - We've steered clear of the step-through type shower but with this layout, the fridge might tip the scale in favour. Not that I want to steer this thread in another direction, do you experience any leakage into the main cabin? is it a pain to have to dry the shower a lot to resume normal toilet use, or am I imagining a problem that doesn't exist?

cheers all!

Marshaldog Mike

Abbey GTS 419

update. .. the Unicorn Almeria seems to be a fairly rare beast, going to be tricky to find, however mrs M is impressed with the fridge. I can't even see it in the Bailey website archive. ...

Question: is that it went out of production in 2011 likely to be much of a problem? seems it shares many components with the other unicorns.

Cheers

Marshaldog Mike

Abbey GTS 419

It is true that having to wipe the shower section floor dry is an inconvenience, but on balance we think that we benefit from more living space than in an end bathroom layout, and the big fridge of course. After all, what proportion of your lives do you spend in the bathroom, whether at home or in your caravan? The Unicorn II Vigo has both the big fridge and an end bathroom, but living and kitchen space is tight. The Almeria has a huge amount of kitchen storage. I do wonder what the second hand value of our Almeria will be like when we come to sell - will it have greater rarity value or be worth less because of the current fashion for end bathrooms?

Our abbey has a decent size fridge,very large salad drawer. It also has a walk through shower. never had a problem with drying it after use. I take loads of kitchen roll dry it off with a wad of that,then make sure vents are open. never has a problem. If we are away for 7 plus night we do take our 240 cool box,and use this to store drinks,veg etc,just gives a bit more room. goes out in awning so doesn't get in the way.

Excellent feedback, thanks. We're going to have a look at a Senator Indiana 6 just to get an idea about the shower size, then track down an Almeria.

cheers!

Marshaldog Mike

Abbey GTS 419