Abs Panels 2014

mjohns4

Hi I'm new to caravan talk, just found Elddis forum, does anyone know if Elddis have made any modifications to ABS panels for 2014 models

We were at the nec in february and they have fitted corner caps to the bottom corners of the rear panels of the avante and the affinity. Had our affinity 7 months now and not suffered any cracking even though we have towed several thousand miles . we were assured at the show that if we have a problem with the rear panel in the future it will be sorted under warranty as they are aware of the problem

I think you may need to ask Elddis customer services for official confirmation. All I can tell you is that my dealer said that he was told by Elddis that they were now modified. I am having a new rear panel fitted to my 2013 model.

Whilst I have every faith in what my dealer has said I am not sure that they are 100% confident! Furthermore if it is true then we don't know when the modification was done and which 2014 models would still have the old panel and which ones would get the new one.

I am afraid that only Elddis can clarify this. If you are thinking of buying one then it may also be worth asking your dealer to find out before you place the order.

We were assured at the show that if we have a problem with the rear panel in the future it will be sorted under warranty as they are aware of the problem

Did they suggest that this would extend beyond the 1 year warranty on the panel? To be honest that is what you would like to think when the issue is a known fault.

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

It's not just Elddis ABS panels that split. All manufacturers persist in using this material and all manufacturers have trouble with it splitting. Apart from personal experience on three occasions, there are reports on new (last three years) Swifts, Lunars, and Pre Alu-tech Baileys. Suffering still after they have been using it for 30 years. Enough is enough as they say.

Before parting with any money for a van manufactured with large panels of this material I would insist on the being in writing that the panel was covered for the same period of time as the body shell. i. e. 10 years. If they won't do so that then you can judge for yourself how much faith they have in one of the most important structures on a van.

The SOGA gives you protection but why risk the heartache it causes.

Any manufacturers who persist in this '12 months warranty on plastic items' are taking us for mugs. Always read the small print in the warranty before parting with the money.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

It's not just Elddis ABS panels that split. All manufacturers persist in using this material and all manufacturers have trouble with it splitting.

there are reports on new (last three years) Swifts, Lunars, and Pre Alu-tech Baileys. Suffering still after they have been using it for 30 years. Enough is enough as they say.

Before parting with any money for a van manufactured with large panels of this material I would insist on the being in writing that the panel was covered for the same period of time as the body shell. i. e. 10 years. If they won't do so that then you can judge for yourself how much faith they have in one of the most important structures on a van.

Any manufacturers who persist in this '12 months warranty on plastic items' are taking us for mugs. Always read the small print in the warranty before parting with the money.

Well put, but it is the (potential?) customer's attitude that will bring about change. The manufacturers will not do it on their own as history shows.

A 1 year g't is an insult to the purchaser, & an admission of the unreliability/unsuitability of the material.

The use of this material is the main reason I bought a Bailey instead of another (3rd!) Elddis, which I would have preferred, apart from the ‘compulsory’ leaks, of course, which seemed to be a ‘free’ perk with the Elddis ‘vans I’ve had LOL.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

My Bailey had the rear ABS panel replaced just before the damp warranty ran out at 6 years old because of cracks in the top corners. As any crack would allow water to enter, then presumably the damp warranty should cover it in other makes?

Bailey authorised the replacement without any argument, just a pity that the Bailey dealer did a really poor job on the repair.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

It's not just Elddis ABS panels that split. All manufacturers persist in using this material and all manufacturers have trouble with it splitting. Apart from personal experience on three occasions, there are reports on new (last three years) Swifts, Lunars, and Pre Alu-tech Baileys. Suffering still after they have been using it for 30 years. Enough is enough as they say.

The SOGA gives you protection but why risk the heartache it causes.

Excellent post. The Mobile caravan Engineer I used for my service could not believe it. And when I showed him it in the hand book stating 1 yr warranty only on plastic, he took a picture to show his colleagues . His words,disgusting.

Not only are people being taken for a ride with all the hassel. They are paying for it themselves. All the manufacturers know that they will have unacceptable failures in ABS panels. Well unacceptable to us that is. They just budget for a best guess warranty claims pattern and charge accordingly. When I asked the Swift engineer who was expounding the wonders of the HT construction he admitted as much and claimed that the new bodies had SRIM reinforcing behind the rear ABS panels to stop the splitting that had blighted the last 30 years.

When I asked why they were still using it as a product at all, he went very quiet. It's not as if other, better, plastics are not available, they are. The type used for the front and rear Panels on the new Unicorn 2 that are fitted to the lower front and rear is a good example. It's used for armor on things like JCB's. Crack it ? you have to attack it with a chain saw before you get much of an effect.

Every time we go to the Swift (ABS) rear and now out of warranty we check it, with heart in mouth. So far so good. Every time we get the Unicorn out (No Abs) We just dust it down and set off.

If Bailey can use it why not others. ABS is cheap and shiny and IMO not fit for purpose end of rant.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Message to admin. Wouldn't it be a good idea to merge this thread with the other about ABS Panels running on the explorer forum.

I think you may need to ask Elddis customer services for official confirmation. All I can tell you is that my dealer said that he was told by Elddis that they were now modified. I am having a new rear panel fitted to my 2013 model.

Whilst I have every faith in what my dealer has said I am not sure that they are 100% confident! Furthermore if it is true then we don't know when the modification was done and which 2014 models would still have the old panel and which ones would get the new one.

I am afraid that only Elddis can clarify this. If you are thinking of buying one then it may also be worth asking your dealer to find out before you place the order.

Did they suggest that this would extend beyond the 1 year warranty on the panel? To be honest that is what you would like to think when the issue is a known fault.

Mark.

Elddis did say that they would sort any cracking problems with the rear panel outside of the 12 month warranty . We now have an inch long crack at the top of the rear panel but this is directly from the awning rail not where others have reported . it looks like a stress crack that would be caused by a screw in traditional construction

Wait a minute - this thread is still live!!!!!!

Can we use this to continue to discuss any common faults (such as the thread title) in our search for information to enable us to be aware of such faults and the best approach to our DEALERS in order rectify such faults?

Pabst

Wait a minute - this thread is still live!!!!!!

Can we use this to continue to discuss any common faults (such as the thread title) in our search for information to enable us to be aware of such faults and the best approach to our DEALERS in order rectify such faults?

Pabst

I can't see why not. We need to keep this issue (and others) alive so that any new owners are aware of what to look out for and can come to any of us already experiencing the issue for help or advice. Sharing information like this is one of the best uses of this forum and will only attract more members and generate advertising revenue for CT.

As long as we try and keep the manufacturer out of it and don't name any dealers I can't see any issues. Perhaps admin can confirm before this thread is locked through us interpreting the rules in a different way.

Mark.

Hi I'm new to caravan talk, just found Elddis forum, does anyone know if Elddis have made any modifications to ABS panels for 2014 models

Hi

I have posted these details on the original ABS thread.

When my 2013 model had the rear panel replaced (in July) the panel design was different - identified by two fog and two reversing lights (original had one of each), but more importantly I was told (and subsequently saw photos of the work done) that modifications would be made to the wooden structure beneath the ABS panel to remove the source of the stress.

I had my dealer come out to the house today to look at our Affinity. I have been told that the failures on the panels was with stock panels that Elddis had during initial manufacture. It seems that the new panels are of different composition than the original batch. He also confirmed that they have no knowledge of a failure of a replacement panel to date.

It was also confirmed that there will be modification to the timber frame. The panel it tight to the frame at present so when the van moves, the ABS which is totally rigid, stresses and cracks. Apparently even with the upper cracks there us no chance of water ingress into the caravan though. The revised rear panel will not have the lower crack workaround fitted so I am pleased about that. The other stuff is not for this thread. See mods, I can be good!

Hi

I have posted these details on the original ABS thread.

When my 2013 model had the rear panel replaced (in July) the panel design was different - identified by two fog and two reversing lights (original had one of each), but more importantly I was told (and subsequently saw photos of the work done) that modifications would be made to the wooden structure beneath the ABS panel to remove the source of the stress.

A Question

Has anyone had a two fog & two reversing lights (ie post July 2013 build) panel on an Avante/Affinity found any cracks?

Pabst

Edited by Pabst

My Affinity has the two reversing lights and fogs and was built April 2013. Definitely pre-July. I have top and bottom cracks, so we can't use the lighting setup as a clue if you are likely to have a failure.

My Affinity has the two reversing lights and fogs and was built April 2013. Definitely pre-July. I have top and bottom cracks, so we can't use the lighting setup as a clue if you are likely to have a failure.

Oh dear - just clutching at straws - so what about "Has anyone had a post July 2013 build panel on an Avante/Affinity found any cracks?"

Pabst

Now that is a good question!

We had ordered a 2014 Affinity 550 but after following all the owners feedback on this thread for the last few weeks and others, we contacted the dealer and changed the order to a 2014 Bailey Unicorn Vigo which we are collecting next Tuesday.

Our dealer was awesome in assisting us and was astounded when they found out the warranty was only for 12 months on the plastics, we made our decision to change because of the Bailey warranty and Alutech construction.

Our thanks to everyone in the forum who made us aware of the issues and short warranty, we do feel like we dodged a bullet.

• 1 month later...

The rear panel failures seem to be due to tightness of fit, this causes the material to stretch and eventually fail.

My 576 (14 month old)has failed at the top sides only, the local dealer is looking to replace the panel, but prepare the framework underneath first to ensure a stress free fit.

Mine is at the dealers having the rear panel replaced at the moment. .. hopefully it will be ready next week. However I agree it appears to be partially related to the frame and I think that correcting this is part of the repair process.

Mark.

Just picked up my caravan this afternoon with the new rear panel. Dealer has done a great job, looks as good as new. They confirmed that the frame had to be modified to prevent it from stressing the rear panel.

Mark.

Hello Mark

Just read your post you have answered the question I posted on the other thread.

Glad your pleased.

Penman

Hi Penman,

No problem. It was the first rear panel they had done on a solid van but didn't seem to cause them any problems. As has been mentioned before the replacement panel has a different reversing light layout than the earlier 2013 models but looks very nice. New grab handles were also fitted, I know that because the offside one was damaged on my old panel.

I will be away in the van from Friday for a week so if you have any other questions just let me know. I am sure Newport Caravans will do a good job on yours.

Mark.