Indicators Not Working On Valencia 1

idchapp

Hi all

When I connect up to the car ( Santa Fe with dedicated electrics) the indicators on my Valencia S1 do not work, but all the other lights do work. I've also noticed that the rear indicators on the car are also not operating until I disconnect the 13 pin plug, then they do. I have checked fuses, bulbs and the plugs, but cannot see any obvious signs of the problem. The car front indicators flash very quickly, as giving a warning of bulb failure. It all worked perfectly when I last towed, which was in February. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Could possibly be corroded plug or socket on car or caravan. Take the plug and socket apart and check.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

If you have any way of checking with another caravan or trailer board first I would check the faults in the car or caravan . If you have a local towbar company they could test the lights on their test boards . I have used a couple before now and they have done it for no charge as it only a few minutes work .

Any friends with a caravan you can just connect to ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Sounds like a definite fault on the caravan if the car is normal with the plug disconnected. Possibly a fault in the car connector.

As above test on another caravan or trailer board to eliminate the car. Check the bulbs on the caravan are ok.

As the trailer lights use a common earth this obviously works as other lights are working correctly.

When the caravan lights are all on are they flashing when the indicators are turned on? Is there any change to the caravan side lights when the indicators are on or trying to turn on?

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

Hi

Thanks for the replies. The mystery continues. I thought I had solved it, 2 fuses on the dedicated electrics in the car had blown, I replaced and all indicators worked perfectly. However when towing today there was a whirring whistling sound followed by rattles etc coming from the car, and the indicator fault reappeared. I have tracked the noises to the air conditioning, not sure what the problem is, could be compressor, but the same fuses on the dedicated electric circuit have blown again. I can only assume some sort of power spike, due to the air con fault, but that's where my guesses run out. Will get it checked out. Any further thoughts?

Ian

Edited by idchapp

Any way of running the car without air con. Like A/C off or economy mode? Or is the whole climate control a possible issue?

Possibly have to have a run with the climate completely off and then a return journey with the climate on?

Sounds dangerous not to use indicators but if possible try climate on and not indicators to see if the fuse are ok at the end of a run.

Normally on AC mode the car dehumidifies and the moisture is drained out of the car. Maybe these drain tube are dripping on to the wiring that may be chaffed?

My Discovery AC drain tubes drip onto the gearbox wiring and in summer after a run it pops up with a transmission fault as the gearbox connector is saturated. Great design.

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

Hi

Thanks for the input. I changed the fuses and ran without air con and all was ok. So off to A/C guy on Monday to see what the problem is.

Ian