Roofboxes

mdk1

:) Hi.

I'm thinking of getting a roofbox to increase our carrying space for any awning, due to the fact we can only tow 1000kg we need more room in the car for all the clobber that it appears we need to take on holiday as our boot is quiet small after the tv has taken up 1/3 of the space. My questions are;

1 Will affect the towing due to differant airflow ie is the 'van any more unstable?

2 What is the best design, long and narrow, short and fat?

Hope i'm posting it on the right part of the forum!!

Mike

Remember that Roof Boxes/Roof Rails have weight limitations as well in their own right. The larger ones are restricted to about 75 kg, so you have to be careful what you put in them (i. e. awning in vehicle and other lightweight stuff "upstairs").

They do affect mpg but not all that much especially if you also have a caravan on the back!

Never found any handling problems.

If you travel with roof-box without caravan, I would advise you to put a note in front of your face on the dashboard to the effect that a roof-box is fittted, plus its height, especially on top of a 4x4. This goes for bikes on the roof even with a caravan as they make the whole outfit taller.

Hi tony

Thanks for that our max loading on the roof is 75kg. I have already got a sticker on my sun viser with

Car height

Van height

always handy to know incase you come across low bridges!! Something i'm awhere of due to driveing an Lgv

Thanks for the advice

Mike

Me again a few more question's who would be the best manifacture ? where is the best place to buy ? what do I need to look for when buying?

Mike

Me again a few more questions                                                                       who would be the best manifacture ?                                                           where is the best place to buy  ?                                                                   what do I need to look for when buying?

Mike

5793[/snapback]

Try www. roofbox. co. uk. They supply boxes from many manufacturers and the site is full of useful information regarding quality of boxes, in a constructive way. I urgently required a box so paid for next day delivery - it arrived in the morning, and the box was HUGE!

I toyed with the idea of removing it when not required but it is so large, it would dominate the garage so I leave it on all the time. With a 4x4, the fuel consumption variance is probably not measurable.

Mlamont

I always have a box fitted when we caravan. It carries two chairs, awning, poles and annexe; all within the 75Kgs allowance. In theory, it does increase mpg, but with lower towing speeds, it´s negligable. Mine is a Halford´s box, and if you purchase at the ·right· time, you can get a good deal.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I think that you will find the box most handy and wonder how you managed with out one I got mine from the roof box company and with very good service

All the Best Derek

Guest john1215

I don't have a roof box but I would suggest that you'd be safer and more stable to carry your awning (at least) in the van, over the axle so it is low done, I would only put light items in the roof box. You van is basically a glorified trailer. The axle (up to its max payload is designed to bear the weight of the load so it makes sense to put the heavier items over it. The van stability will improve.

john1215

I have a large roofbox for the Passat, which I fill up with suitcases, towels, boots etc. Can't put anything in the back of the car because that is occupied by a Bernese Mountain Dog :-)

Been doing this for years without towing and recently with a van behind. Never had any stability problems, even in bad weather conditions. No noticeable affect on fuel consumption.

I did check at some point that all the usual rubbish weighed less than the box and bar limits and it was ok.

Its worth buying a good box though, rather than a "Halford's special", although Halford's is the best place to start looking, as they stock several types of box and you can have a good look at them.

My knowledge of aerodynamics is not extensive, but long and "shaped" is the best design. The "box" type presents a high frontal area and generate rear turbulence.

You need to be careful when buying cross bars though. The VW bars are too big to fit a lot of box clamps. I ended up buying the locking ones from Halford's. You may find that other makes have problems as well.

One thing you need to watch out for, not obvious, is how you are going to fit it to the car. It may sound odd :-) but if you are short, you may have problems. I am 6ft 1in and can only just reach the far side fixing clamps inside the box.

I agree about the height reminder inside the car, I have had a few near misses because I forgot, not hit anything yet, but pure luck :-)

Hi all,

We are on our second roof box as the first was a bit small. Some tips: buy a Thule and get the largest capacity box that you can afford, the more locks the better, it's more convenient if the box can be opened on either side, don't forget to add in the weight of the box and the bars when calculating the loading on the roof.

Yossa

We have a large roof box, one of the best things we bought.

I agree with Tony on remembering the hight in 4x4s.

We don't get any wind noise from it but get noise when its off and the roof bars are left on. <_<

Check the speed limit with them. ...i have been told that you can only do 60 mph with a roof box on. ....fine when towing but abit slow on a motorway when unhitched.

We only put very light stuff in it. ...clothes and shoes etc. ..heavy stuff in the car.

When we get on site i take the box off and place it in the awning. ..put the roof rail connections on and chain it to the caravan.

Its safe, extra storage for things you have no room for in the van but don't want to carry in the car or leave in the awning unlocked. :)

We have found we do use more fuel with it on but, not to much.

ATB, Lee

Went down the rent then purchase route with the Roofbox company.

Excellent service and advice.

Have a "Autoform" box similar to Thule. Used and abused now, but a good scrub has it like new. Impressive kit with a single point locking. Absorbs everything light and bulky, slight reduction in mpg when running solo, but will help keep the car cool when parked up in very hot sun.

Used Thule roofbars and feet always, but with the essential upgrade to one key locks. I agree with the difficulty to locate and secure the inner fix if no stool available.

Buy a large good quality one, is the only recommendation I can make.

Have fun

Trident

:) Hi

Thanks for all the advice,Thought better of it and decided aganst a roofbox.

See my new topic on towcar talk ( Skoda Octavia )

thanks again

Mike

The Roofbox Company have stopped renting them out which is a great pity.

Check the speed limit with them. ...i have been told that you can only do 60 mph with a roof box on. ....fine when towing but abit slow on a motorway when unhitched.

ATB, Lee

6225[/snapback]

Never heard of that. Have never seen any regulation that says you have a lower speed limit and it aint logical anyway. Had a very large roofbox on my Astra and did 600 miles across France at about 80 with very little wind noise. Brilliant if you need them but get a good quality one.

The Roofbox Company have stopped renting them out which is a great pity.

Never heard of that. Have never seen any regulation that says you have a lower speed limit and it aint logical anyway.

6654[/snapback]

Wish i could remember where i read it, may have been the instructions for the box.

I did read it though and must agree that i thought it abit silly.

Suppose if you go that fast the wind may weaken the plastic on the bar conectors. ......just a guess though so don't quote me :blink:

I can think of other things less stable than a roof box. ....roof mounted bikes come to mind. Probably the manufacturer trying to cover themselves. ..bet Thule don't say that.

As I said it is a pity that the Roofbox Company stopped renting. You could hire it, then if you decided to buy within a certain time they would knock the hire fees you had paid off the purchase price. ..and the service was brilliant. Suppose the carriage costs for the hire service must have been horrendous and damage from careless hirers perhaps. ...

Notice that they were offering a free hoist so you can hang it off your garage ceiling. ..wonder whether that offer still applies?