How Much Does Running A Caravan Cost

Vallumlj

Can someone please tell roughly how much it cost to keep a caravan for a year less the price of the caravan.

Caravan insurance roughly how much is this,

Storage fees

Service once a year

Gas

What else will I need to pay for.

Any help would be great.

You should budget a minmum of £1k

Insurance around 250

Storage on drive is free,the one I used to use was 400 a year

Service 150

Gas, depends how often and what of camping but 50ish if your light and use hookups, more if you rally every weekend

Plus knock a third off your mpg

Then there's all the little extras you buy for your van and the site fees

Can someone please tell roughly how much it cost to keep a caravan for a year less the price of the caravan.

Caravan insurance roughly how much is this,

Storage fees

Service once a year

Gas

What else will I need to pay for.

Any help would be great.

Well we pay £180 insurance, new for old. £190 service at our local dealers. Storeage, as we cannot use our drive, and the local council rigidly enforce this is £365 per year. Gas, two 4. 5 butane a year is £32. 00. Mpg on the car is 10% less than driving solo.

New tyres every 5 years, £150.

Long term warranty, £180 for two years. Has been worth it's weight in Gold!

Happiness and pleasure at being away. Priceless!!!!!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Thank you not sure my drive is bigger enough.

£1000 is not to bad to be honest

Anything else

Well we pay £180 insurance, new for old. £190 service at our local dealers. Storeage, as we cannot use our drive, and the local council rigidly enforce this is £365 per year. Gas, two 4. 5 butane a year is £32. 00. Mpg on the car is 10% less than driving solo.

New tyres every 5 years, £150.

Long term warranty, £180 for two years. Has been worth it's weight in Gold!

Happiness and pleasure at being away. Priceless!!!!!

Who do you insure with? That sounds a bargain new for old, mines only replacement purchase value

Hi, A significant cost which can be overlooked, can be the actual cost of using the van outside of additional fuel costs, Suitable tow vehicle etc.

Any holiday weekends, Easter for instance, the tariffs will be High season, my usual haunt Sandy Balls in Hampshire, I believe will be charging £60 per night. When you're away you may actually eat and drink out more, visit local areas of interest, site seeing, parking costs etc. Basically it ends up for me anyway a short holiday each month, with the usual expenses associated with taking a holiday. Yes there are cheaper and more local places to stay and you may never leave the campsite for the duration. When I hear references from friends and family that don't know any thing about caravanning there's aways a slight reference to cheap would'nt you rather have a package holiday, I always reply with the usual people who can't afford to caravan stay in hotels. I feel that people who caravan regularly possibly have lots of expendeable cash. Its a life style choice not a cost saving, or even cost affective in my exprience exercise, and it will cost you more than you think, would'nt sell it though! Did I forget to mention the depreciation ? Buy one and don't think about the costs.

Or you can go on C&CC site for Easter and pay £90 for 4 nights or go on a THS/rally for about £6 a night. This hobby is as cheap or expensive as you make it. But I agree with the buy one and don't think about the cost statement

I suppose it depends on how, where, and how often you use it. All info readily available via a Google search

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Double the £1000 if you take in depreciation!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Double the £1000 if you take in depreciation!

Nearly quadruple the £1000 if you take 5 year depreciation on an Elddis twin axle with the body cracking problem!

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Mpg on the car is 10% less than driving solo.

What car do you drive, 10% less mpg when towing seems hard to believe.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Simple answer - More than you think!

Running costs - agree at circa £1k pa, but need to factor in increased tyre/fuel on your towcar. Genuinely allow for circa a third off your fuel consumption, unless you already have a tank

Depreciation - depends on whether you have a newer van or have an older van. So could be a few hundred pounds a year, or it could be £2-3k on a new van. You need to factor this in, but for me the depreciation is something I happily take as it gives me complete flexibility for going away and a time where I actually get to see the kids (wont be many more years I'm afraid due to kids getting older)

All of this for me though is offset by the quality time I can get with my family which I wouldn't get otherwise.

Thanks for your help I will be buying a used one and hopefully use my company car if allowed so this will be free fuel. If not I will change my wife's car and buy a cheap tow car for around £3000 I see Mondeos come up a lot so might look at one of them.

we pay £350 for indoor storage £100 for sevice £11 per month insurance and we dont use gas we use electric heating, we cook outside in the awning on our tepanyaki grill and use the microwave as electric is included in pitch fees. £572 in total,

By and large I think Post #2. .Grampy had it about right at £1000 basic.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I am sure that if I was to add up the cost of a year of caravanning (and we don't use it very much through the year, concentrating mainly on a couple or three months in the sun at the start of the year) I would have to think twice! Not sure I could bring myself to pay some of the site fees advertised during high season periods

This past twelve months has been exceptional with the purchase of a new van, new tow car and new awning. I know it's not something which happens every year - and usually not the big items in the short period - but anyone starting up has all the big costs at the outset.

The annual costs have been mentioned above but don't forget about the smaller ancillary costs such as wifi, payments for dogs if you take them away, extra eating out whist away perhaps, extra wine!

• 2 weeks later...

Having read all that. ...I'm now inclined to put the 'extra wine' comment on the top of my shopping list instead! lol

Very helpful comments for a noive newcomer folks.

Thank you all very much

Rob

use my company car if allowed so this will be free fuel.

"free fuel in a company car?" I've been a company car driver for 37 years, if you don't log your mileage and pay for privet mileage, you're going to get hammered for tax as a benefit. Even a nominal |£50 per month will ease your tax bill.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

I already pay a lot on tax for the fuel benefit so am cover for that I know it's not free fuel as I pay a lot on the tax.

A few weeks back I did a full cost analysis on using the van compared to hiring cottages.

Depreciation £1,000

Lost interest on the capital £340

Additional fuel £204

Servicing & repairs £350

Storage (on our drive) £0

Insurance £300

35 nights away @ £21 per night average pitch £735

Total £2934 a year or £84 a night.

Tow bar & electrics and possible additional utensils/equipment/bedding etc need thinking about.

Most of the other factors mentioned on here would occur anyway on other types of holiday, so can be discounted for comparison purposes. I didn't include any allowance for extra car tyre wear or additional wear on the car's drivetrain.

The sort of cottages we've used in the past via English Country Cottages cost between £500 and £800 a week or between £71 and £114 per night. So £84 per night for a van fits fairly snugly in that.

Having said that if you rented cottages you would only have to look after one vehicle (cleaning, fettling, sourcing) and the total number of bills you'd have to pay would reduce. Life could well become simpler.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Nearly quadruple the £1000 if you take 5 year depreciation on an Elddis twin axle with the body cracking problem!

Like a car if you have a newish van then it will depreciate more.

In 2008 I bought a 1998 caravan in lovely condition for £3. 600.

I looked after the van and yes spent a bit of money on it ie maintanance tyres etc.

I sold that van about a month ago for £2,390 so over 6 years I lost £201. 00 a year,not bad when I think of all the good times had in it.