So I Have Power, Advice On Settings?

wrx fifer

so I have hooked up the caravan to the house using the cable and adapter I got with it, but as previously said, unsure what to have the switch set to at the main control panel?

all the lights and sockets are working fine but the switch I am referring to has

CAR OFF VAN I have it currently sitting to van but was not sure if this is right? is this charging the leisure battery like this or using it maybe? should I have it to off as I am not using the car or van as such and is hooked up to power from my shed? just don't want to be doing anything wrong?

also there is a switch states CHARGER SUPPLY then either side says ON OFF I have it set to ON but unsure if this is right either? does this mean I am charging the leisure battery as I have it hooked up or what does anyone know at all?

Grant

totally new to all this bought our first cheap van and here to learn!!

The car/off/van is set to Van Battery

Car is for Car Battery if connected to car.

Both will allow you to use 12 volt equipment but if you run down the car battery you could have a problem.

Charge will connect the built in charger to charge your battery but only if mains connected. When towing it can be off (I leave mine on regardless)

When towing the battery charges from the car if you have a 12s socket as well as a 12n at the towball.

All the above is based on the cars wiring being set up for these connections.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Car - only used when towing and supplies power to fridge only when towing and fridge on for battery

Van - This you want now when you are unhitched and on site and hooked up.

Off - Logical

Charger - you want it to ON now whilst hooked up. This will charge your battery AND give you 12 V for lights, water pump etc.

Whilst hooked up, turn fridge to mains 240V

On hook up you may find two lights in the front lounge work off the 240V. Not on all vans but quite a few. Obviously they won't work when not on EHU.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

The car/van switch is used to select either the caravan battery or car battery if you are plugged into the car.

You can check if your battery is charging as there should be a jump in voltage from around 12. 5v to around 13. 8v with the mains switched on. So have a look at your voltmeter before and after. It is only a small movement but it is noticeable.

Brian

yeah there is a little light meter with low medium high with regard to the battery charge and its green lit at high so I assume the battery is either good or charging well.

so everyone is saying have it on battery when hooked up and to charge which makes perfect sense, however can you have any power to anything just using this leisure battery alone and not connected to a car or to an hook up with the cable? as I tried switching it all on from the battery and not connected with the hook up an couldn't seem to get anything to work??

but if that's the case what's the point in even having this leisure battery if nothing works direct from it with no other connections to the van? little confused on that bit?

other than that everything seems fine!!

Grant

All your 12v equipment should work off the caravan battery when not hooked up to the mains. There may be two lights at the front that are mains only operation but the rest should operate. Make sure your selector switch is set to VAN.

Brian

Help Guide?

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-advice/electrics/power

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/forum/99-caravan-electric/

Lots on here to check for possible answer to your problem?

You are not the first to find no power off EHU

Blown fuse in 12 volt supply? There is a fuse close to the battery or should be.

The lights will work from the Power Supply Unit when on Hook-up. It also may charge the battery. If you have the van switch on and unplug the EHU (hook-up)and the light go out then a fuse as above needs finding.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Just because the battery light (or meter) reads green doesn't mean your battery is charging. ..only that DC services have a good supply, which could be coming from your charger. If you turn your charger off, disconnect the EHU and car you should have full DC services (lights, pumps etc) all powered by your leisure battery. With a green-high light it's reasonable to assume that your charger is working. When you turn the charger off, does the voltage drop to zero? If so, then there's either a connection issue from your battery to your PDU or a fuse in that circuit has blown. Many 'vans have an in-line fuse in the battery leads and most will have a 'battery' fuse in the PDU itself. These should be checked. If all's well, check the cabling to the car-off-van switch; a broken 'van' lead would likely cause these symptoms also.

The battery light should go from a middle range to something higher when you turn the charger on. This is the best indicator that your battery is firstly connected and your charger is serviceable.

ok I will look in to this in more details between now and the weekend, I will check for an inline fuse around the batter terminals or the like, with not having the vans handbook don't really know where to look for fuses or anything, so the main panel with all the switched and lights etc, don't really want to start hauling things out looking for fuses if they don't come out lol, I have emailed coachman to see if they can do me a handbook with it being so old there nothing on their site am awaiting a reply!

Grant