Looking For A Top Tip

jetA1

I'm really in need of a top tip although it is not caravan related, however I can't help but think somone here will be able to help so please forgive me for using the 'Top Tip' heading. We have a problem in our house with nightly visits by slugs into our kitchen! The house is a mid 1920's semi so has floor boards sitting above a 2 foot crawl space. For reasons I don't understand every night we will find 2-4 slugs crawling across the kitchen floor, they seem to come from under the kitchen units and often make for the dogs' food bowls. I've removed the kick panels from beneath the kitchen units several times but there is never anything to be seen during the day, this is only a night time occurence. So does anyone have any ideas what I could do to prevent this nightly invasion, are there any gardeners amonst our numbers? I know slugs can be problem in the garden would garden slug pellets under the kitchen units work? any advice much appreciated.

Hi, I would try to fill any small holes that you can see under the cupboards then leave a wall of salt where you think they might be coming from. Less harmful than pellets.

I had a problem with a mouse when I first moved into my house. My wife hates the things so I had to dismantle what I could of the kitchen and fill every little gap I could see. Solved the problem and no threats of having to move house since! :o

Paul

My friend had this problem. They were coming in through an air brick in one of her cupboards. Not sure if you are meant to block these up or not.

Jo

Thanks, it is a disusting problem but I'm releaved to hear it has happened to soemone else (hope that doesn't sound too bad!) We too have airbricks just above ground level so I'm sure that has something to do with it; but I guess the airbricks are there for a reason so i'm reluctant to block them. Plus in an old house it is would be virtually impossible to find and block every nook and cranny. ....

Sprinkle a barrier of salt around air bricks or wherever you can slugs and snails in theory (it has worked for me in the greenhouse) Will not cross it.

Dave

Apparently slugs have taste buds on their undersides and cannot abide the taste of copper. Hence the sales of copper rings and tape to protect tasty plants. Perhaps you could try putting a copper strip around each of the air-bricks. B) Also if you have a population of slugs living under the floor <_< , eliminate this with piles of slug-pellets under the kitchen cupboards. :)

Don’t block up your air-bricks. You may keep out the slugs, but you will invite in damp, mould and, eventually, rot. :(

You could also tip some grit into the bottom of the airbrick. apparently slugs don't like that either, as it feels like broken glass to them!

I wouldn't put slug pellets down inside the house. Slugs will eat them, feel ill and curl up and die under your kitchen units where you might not be able to reach them. Just a thought - would any of those devices that emit a high frequency sound work on them? I use one in the van when abroad which is supposed to stop ants. Seems to work OK!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com