Remember The Cure To The Rocking Caravan?

Wunny

This links to my original post http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/89809-is-this-the-solution-to-a-wobbly-rear-end/?hl=wunny&do=findComment&comment=961786

Well I said I'd give it a thought over winter and this is what I have come up with:

Two clothes props and a bit of cutting - total cost £3. 98 from Home Bargains. (Other outlets available but more expensive!)

Place in position, tension & twist to lock - stability achieved.

Cardiff-20140309-00015_zps21108f92.jpg

Cardiff-20140309-00016_zps79818374.jpg

Cardiff-20140309-00017_zpsd92711ca.jpg

Cardiff-20140309-00018_zps5b423a6e.jpg

Cardiff-20140309-00019_zpsacf59e23.jpg

Cardiff-20140309-00020_zpseea64935.jpg

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Good idea B)

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

Home bargains store locator http://storelocator. homebargains. co. uk/ there's lots of them!

And how well have you found this to work?

I cant say Ive experienced enough rocking to bother me, but you never know on the future.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

It felt more stable, but as it is levelled on wood blocks at the moment, because it's parked sideways on a slope, there will be some inherent instability due to that.

I'll be away with the van on 19th March, so will give it a good trial then, but I fully expect the cross bracing to do the job.

For under £4 and a couple of minutes work, it had to be worth trying. The worst case is you end up with two clothes line props, they must come in handy for something! :D

I'm not good with technical things, it all looks good, but why/how does it stop the caravan rocking? Don't the steadies do that? The motorhome rocks, but there are no steadies.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

We have had seven or eight caravans over the years and I have never noticed rocking to be a problem.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We have had seven or eight caravans over the years and I have never noticed rocking to be a problem.

Agree. .30 years a caravanner and I would suspect something amiss if it did rock sideways. ..

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

OOps the prude police have been out!

If the van has a wobble that warrants a remedy then something is not right. Are the steadies worn / loose?

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I can, potentially, understand why cross bracing would reduce transverse movement of the caravan but would be concerned that the cross bracing material you are using would be rigid enough.

But interested in the outcome of your trials.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been away for a few days, so it was a good opportunity to give it a real test under site conditions.

As a demo, without the bracing in place, I videoed a glass of water on a shelf at the back end of the caravan and lunged about like a loon. Here's the effect it had

http://s183. photobucket. com/user/wunnywuntun/media/VID-20140321-00000_zpsf1b2be63. mp4. html

I then put the bracing in place and repeated the lunging about, Here's the result.

http://s183. photobucket. com/user/wunnywuntun/media/VID-20140321-00001_zps2c4dca28. mp4. html

The strength of the poles is more than adequate, as if they can support a line full of wet washing - their designed purpose, any compression that will be generated using them as bracing will be minuscule.

There were some strong gusty winds blowing while I was pitched and there was no perceivable buffeting felt inside the van.

So overall, I'm well pleased with the result. :)

Agree. .30 years a caravanner and I would suspect something amiss if it did rock sideways. ..

Geoff

Honk wrote

If the van has a wobble that warrants a remedy then something is not right. Are the steadies worn / loose?

H.

In reply to the above.

The van is a 7 month old Orion with the cheapest of steadies fitted. Nothing wrong or worn, other than you get what you pay for or are supplied with. $(KGrHqF,!mEE8LnRbhOdBPHrKuCltw~~60_35.J

Alko premium steadies are available, BU122169.jpg but at £90 ish each, I'd rather spend that money on a good meal!

Well, I've been away for a few days, so it was a good opportunity to give it a real test under site conditions.

As a demo, without the bracing in place, I videoed a glass of water on a shelf at the back end of the caravan and lunged about like a loon. Here's the effect it had

http://s183. photobucket. com/user/wunnywuntun/media/VID-20140321-00000_zpsf1b2be63. mp4. html

I then put the bracing in place and repeated the lunging about, Here's the result.

http://s183. photobucket. com/user/wunnywuntun/media/VID-20140321-00001_zps2c4dca28. mp4. html

The strength of the poles is more than adequate, as if they can support a line full of wet washing - their designed purpose, any compression that will be generated using them as bracing will be minuscule.

There were some strong gusty winds blowing while I was pitched and there was no perceivable buffeting felt inside the van.

So overall, I'm well pleased with the result. :)

And so you should be!

Brilliant - and I just love the video proof. ... errr was it 400 proof (Gin, that is)?

Well done Sir!

Pabst

Honk wrote

H.

In reply to the above.

The van is a 7 month old Orion with the cheapest of steadies fitted. Nothing wrong or worn, other than you get what you pay for or are supplied with. $(KGrHqF,!mEE8LnRbhOdBPHrKuCltw~~60_35.J

Alko premium steadies are available, BU122169.jpg but at £90 ish each, I'd rather spend that money on a good meal!

And spend the next few years crawling under the van!

I like my food, love it almost. But for the cost of the steadies against the cost of a few good meals - Let them eat cake ;)

H.

I am fairly sure the two types of steady are not a DIRECT swap. i seem to recall the lengths vary.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Maybe this suggestion is stupid but I will throw it out there anyway. The front to rear movement in vans is pretty stable and the rocking motion comes from the side to side motion so why hasn't anyone thought of putting 2 extra steadies midship facing towards the centre of the van. Would this not stop the side to side movement. Just a thought. I guess they can be bought and installed quite easily direct to the underneath of the van on the wooden floor.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Good point, but where shall I move my axle to?

H.

No need to move the axle Honk, the steady can go behind or in front of it. Or even 2 either side if you are flush, lol.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

OH, Going to get my head shot off AGAIN for calling them Jacks!!!!!!!!!

After setting up on site, and the jacks steadies down correctly, the wheels will eventually settle into the grass/gravel. I thought this put extra strain on the jacks and prevent side shoogle????

Unless of course the steadies sink in a bit too.

Edited by blondchaser

Thanks for sharing your findings, I use lightweight blocks under the steadies I find this works for me :)

Pic010.JPG

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

OH, Going to get my head shot off AGAIN for calling them Jacks!!!!!!!!!

After setting up on site, and the jacks steadies down correctly, the wheels will eventually settle into the grass/gravel. I thought this put extra strain on the jacks and prevent side shoogle????

Unless of course the steadies sink in a bit too.

Not if you're pitching on concrete ;) you will have to let your tyres down for the same effect :lol:

H.

• 2 weeks later...

I set up the van for 6 months on our seasonal pitch in Portugal using Fiamma Stabilising steadies. Bit of a fiddle to fit but they need no further attention for the winter

Toyota Landcruiser and Fleetwood Heritage 640 ES(T)

We stopped the rocking by getting older. !!! ;):D :D :D

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Maybe I'll just stick to not "lunging about like a loon" I'm not sure what you get up to normally to warrant that description :P but it sure made me smile. I'm not convinced there will be enough room in our little van to warrant "lunging about like a loon control poles". But seems like a neat idea anyways! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I use a 2. 5 inch x 9 x 16 inch long board to spread the weight on top of the wood i use 8. 5 inch square by 3 inch thick block pavers then my steadies are lowered, i think the longer the steadies are extended the more rock, but never have had a problem.