Best Route To Brecon From Leeds

Hi All

has anyone got experience of the best route to Brecon, according to Google it is (marginally) best via Chester, Welshpool & Llandidrod wells on the A483. It looks like it has one or two switchbacks which I presume means steep climbs?

Is it OK with to tow on this route, my alternative is just down the M1 M40, M50 . ..

Cheers

Stuart

Edited by sybil

"its not the space in your Caravan, it's the space your Caravan is in, that counts"

An easy, though probably longer, route would be M62, M6, M5, M50, A40 - all motorway or major trunk routes.

2005 Bessacarr Cameo 635 gl & 2005 Nissan Terrano II SVE Di 3. 0l

An easy, though probably longer, route would be M62, M6, M5, M50, A40 - all motorway or major trunk routes.

We would always opt for the easier, if longer motorway/A road route too (except on a Friday night). :)

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Thanks for the replies Ladies, :)

But my wife is a little nervous on motorways these days so my first choice would be the A483, I am really seeking advice on that as a route first and will consider the other options if its a no-go.

"its not the space in your Caravan, it's the space your Caravan is in, that counts"

We always use the Chester/Welshpool route as we find it faster, shorter and infinitely more picturesque. It is twisty and hilly, particularly just south of Welshpool, but it isn`t narrow enough to cause problems, and the scenery is worth the effort.

If you have a decent outfit and are a competent tower you will have no problems. Having said that, there are several people who don`t think the road is suitable for towing a caravan on (even one chap a few years ago who claimed it was so hilly it destroyed the transmission on a Shogun!). Fact is, it is a trunk route used by HGVs and 44 tonne artics don`t have any problems, and we rarely see any congestion or delays.

Thanks Angus - thats what I was looking for, Car is very competant and I have a fair amount of towing experience, bieng from Halifax you are quite close to us (Pudsey)

Just needed advice on the route, If its good enough for HGV's its good enough for me!

:D

Stuart

No such thing as a 'best route' you are in Wales and the good roads stops at Wrexham. Chester/Welshpool is Ok in fact its a good road to Newtown but after that no so good. Towed a rally car on a trailer from Newtown to Builth Wells no something I want to do to often, never taken a caravan on that road but its lighter than a car trailer, so apart from the twists it should not be a problem, after all its is a A road. I'm sure you will enjoy the trip!!

Newtown can be hell traffic wise. Avoiding motorways I would go A483 as far as Oswestry then A5 to Shrewsbury, A41 to Leominster then A4112/A438 to Hay on Wye and Brecon.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

http://theaa. com put in start and finish points and there will be your route. . You can opt for no motorways .

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Newtown can be hell traffic wise. Avoiding motorways I would go A483 as far as Oswestry then A5 to Shrewsbury, A41 to Leominster then A4112/A438 to Hay on Wye and Brecon.

Suggest the A49 to Leominster. The A41 is several miles to the east of Shrewsbury having diverged from the A49 at Prees.

Suggest the A49 to Leominster. The A41 is several miles to the east of Shrewsbury having diverged from the A49 at Prees.

My mistake - I go that way on autopilot!

My mistake - I go that way on autopilot!

My autopilot takes me from West Cheshire via the A41 to M54-J3 at Prees Heath unless my destination is Shrewsbury. :rolleyes:;)

That's another option. Leave m56 onto a49 via Whichurch and join a5 east of Shrewsbury for short distance then a49 as above

If you are travelling during the 3rd week of July avoid mid Wales like tjhe plague as its Royal Welsh show week and every land rover, Ivor J Williams trailer and horse transporter will be doing 25mph on route to Built Wells.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone - thanks for the replies. ;)

Wunny - thanks I also use Google and Viamichelin, all have thier pro's/cons but nothing beats first hand personal experience of a route, thats the great thing about these forums!

Majorraglan - it won't be in July, but thanks for the heads up!

Edited by sybil

• 2 months later...

In case it is of interest to anyone I have an update on our journey from Leeds to (and from) Aberbran. The A49 south from the M56 picking up the A5 around Shrewsbury and on through Leominster using the A4112/A438 as recommended by MalH (Thanks Mal) is a good route, wide and quite level. The alternative (which we used for the return journey) A470 via Builth wells, llandrindod wells Newtown etc is easily negotiable as the roads are 'A' standards of course, but the section between Newtown & Llandrindod has many twists & turns and climbs/falls so you tend to lose momentum and the MPG suffers a little, The scenery on both routes is very pretty and neither is a boring route. not much in it, but the former route is slightly better for the MPG the latter is slightly better for scenery.

:)

Stuart

Edited by sybil

The M1 has a long stretch of roadworks, 50mph, near Mansfield - I think it is a 17 mile stretch. There's another 7 or so miles from Wakefield South towards the M62, again 50 mph, both with average speed checks.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

The M1 has a long stretch of roadworks, 50mph, near Mansfield - I think it is a 17 mile stretch. There's another 7 or so miles from Wakefield South towards the M62, again 50 mph, both with average speed checks.

Russ

Thanks Russ, I only briefly considered the M1, but the M56/A49 option came up with a faster route so it was never on the cards for me - and that is before the roadworks around mansfield are brought ito the equation . .. we have some vendors who are from near Derby and their journey up to Leeds is now taking 1/2 to 3/4 hour longer than before.