Engineering Work About Caravans - Need Help

Madeleine_89

Hello everyone! I came from Poland and I'm doing my engineering work about caravans - precisely about parkings near to petrol stations at highways. First of all I would like to apologize for all my mistakes in English;)

I travel caravan with my family from 18 years and I can see the big difference between adaptation of parkings in western Europe and in Poland. That's why I decided to write my work about it. I see that in Poland that subject doesn't exist. I've got really big problem to find any book about that problem :/

If anyone of you had been in Poland with his caravan or camper, please give me suggestions what did you see the worst on our highway's parkings, the lack of what did you felt the most. Be sure I won't be mad for criticism ;) If there was anything what was for you interesting you can add also those observations.

Even if You never been in Poland I will be glad if you could answer for few following questions:
1. where are you come from (country)
2. for how long do you travel with caravan/camper
3. where do you most often go for you holidays (which country)
4. which country (for you) is the best prepared for caravan/camper users
5. what is the most important part of parking near to petrol station (for example: restaurant, playground, lightening, cleanliness, purity of road marks, place where you can take water, place to clean your reservoir, separation caravans/campers from road/trucks, headland, silence etc.) you can write as many as you wish (you can do it in gradation)
6, did you hear about tragic standard of Polish roads

I will be very, very thankful for all your help and if you decided that this talk forum is not a place for those problems like mine, than I'm really sorry to disturb and please cancel this topic.

Best Regards,
Magda

3. where do you most often go for you holidys (which country)

5. what is the most important part of parking near to petrol station (for example: restaurant, playground, lightening, cleanliness, purity of road marks, place where you can take water, place to clean your reservoir, separation caravans/campers from road/trucks, headland, silence etc.) you can write as many as you wish (you can do it in gradation)

6, did you hear about tragic standar of Polish roads

1. England

2. On average 2. 5hrs

3. England

4. I have heard the Netherlands is very good but never been with the caravan. I have also heard GB is very good.

5. Seperation from cars and coaches.

6. No

Your English is very good - much better than my Polish!

By petrol station do you mean the ones on the motorway that serve food and petrol?

If yes, then we call these Service Stations (because their service is awful!)

It looks like you are interested in alternatives for parking etc. I can speak for most of the members of CT by saying that we do not like Service Stations - the parking is awful and is NOT secure, the food is often poor and they are expensive. Otherwise they are OK!!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Yes, I meant that type of stations ;) Thx for correction - good to know now ;)

I'm looking for facilities which could make our trips easier and more comforable but I don't know if my vision of "ideal Service Station" is similar to outher people. That's why I'm making that little research :)

Still there is not many people in Poland who travel with caravan/camper so I thought that foreign community could give me more informiation :)

Hello everyone! I came from Poland and I'm doing my engineering work about caravans - precisely about parkings near to petrol stations at highways. First of all I would like to apologize for all my mistakes in English;)

I travel caravan with my family from 18 years and I can see the big difference between adaptation of parkings in western Europe and in Poland. That's why I decided to write my work about it. I see that in Poland that subject doesn't exist. I've got realy big problem to find any book about that problem :/

If anyone of you had been in Poland with his caravan or camper, please give me suggestions what did you see the worst on our highway's parkings, the lack of what did you felt the most. Be sure I won't be mad for criticism ;) If there was anything what was for you interesting you can add also those observations.

Even if You never been in Poland I will be glad if you could answer for few following quastions:

3. where do you most often go for you holidys (which country)

6, did you hear about tragic standar of Polish roads

I will be very, very thunkful for all your help and if you decided that this talk forum is not a place for those problems like mine, than I'm really sorry to disturb and please cancel this topic.

Best Regards,

Magda

1. England

2. I try to limit towing to 3hrs between breaks. Depending on roads and speeds this is about 200-250km.

3. France, Germany, Austria, Italy. ..and UK

4. France has the most frequent places to stop while towing. Austria has the best campsites.

5. Separation of caravans from lorries is a good start. But people treat service stations differently. We like to park well away from the services and use our caravan for meals. Others prefer to use the restaurant so need to park closer.

6. The roads in Poland were pretty bad when I worked there 20 years ago. I hope they have improved!

7. A question for you. ...can you recommend good, clean, campsite near ( < 30km) Zakopane?

Thank you for your answer :)

I have to say that I have never been on Polish camping :P I live in Sopot and there are two campsites which condition is so horrible that I always sympathize with people from abroad who came here.

I know about one campsite in Zakopane (http://www. podkrokwia. pl/index. php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=14&lang=en) where my neighbor was many times, but when I looked at pictures of it I started to doubt if I should recommended it to you :/

It won't be patriotic but I think it's better to stay on Slovakian side (about 40km from Zakopane) http://www. hoteltatranec. com/foto_en. html

Thank you for your answer :)

I have to say that I have never been on Polish camping :P I live in Sopot and there are two campsites which condition is so horrible that I always sympathize with people from abroad who came here.

I know about one campsite in Zakopane (http://www. podkrokwia. pl/index. php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=14&lang=en) where my neighbor was many times, but when I looked at pictures of it I started to doubt if I should recommended it to you :/

It won't be patriotic but I think it's better to stay on Slovakian side (about 40km from Zakopane) http://www. hoteltatranec. com/foto_en. html

Thanks for the info.

Good luck with you work.

Madeleine

1) England

2) 3 hours max at one go, not more than 250 miles(400 Km) in a day.

3) England and France

4) France is good for campsites and motorhome parking *

5) We don't like Service Stations in this country *

6) Not considered visiting Poland yet. (Did start to organise a camping trip to Russia in 1967, but did not like the idea of "you must specify where you are going to spend the night, then go straight there - even if somewhere on the way looks worth a visit")

*Our Service Stations (on Motorways) were built as a requirement of the Government, to ensure there is somewhere for drivers to take a break. They have to be free to park in. The operators make a loss on caravans, as these take up at least 2 car-parking spaces and the occupants are less likely to go into the cafeteria to use the toilets and food provision, as we generally have our own. These Stations do not offer parking for more than a couple of hours - certainly not for cooking or sleeping in the van!

In France, Rest areas (Aires de Repos) are generally much closer together and provide only parking spaces (for cars, car/caravan, and for lorries), picnic area and toilet block. Good for daytime stops, but can be unsafe overnight. Similarly, their "Aires de Service" add Garage and cafeteria/ shopping. Again, these are required by the Government.

Many French towns have their own "Camping Municipal" - run by the Maire's Office, often quite cheap and of a very acceptable standard. Sometimes these are situated relatively close to a "commercial" campsite.

Finally, in France (and other countries,but not GB) there are "Aires de Camping-Car". Motorcaravans can use these (fairly) small parking areas (NO caravans) which have water and disposal points with marked parking - sometimes metered electrical hookups as well. These are often provided by the "Commune" as a way of encouraging tourists to spend some time (and money) in the local shops.

(I know you were not asking about all the last bits, but I thought it might be useful information, if you had not come across it before!)

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

Thank you Philspot :)

I've never been in Great Britain so it's nice to read all information about your country and Service Station's specificity.

I think that there is understatement why I'm talking about condition of Service Stations. If somebody is traveling only for one day to his destiny doesn't have necessity to sleep on Service Station. When you are traveling for few days (for example from Poland to Portugal) you have to use it or go to campsite, which is rather not close to highway. Only that kind of sleeping at Service Stations I'm talking about, not spending your holiday on it - real suicide ;)

6) Not considered visiting Poland yet. (Did start to organise a camping trip to Russia in 1967, but did not like the idea of "you must specify where you are going to spend the night, then go straight there - even if somewhere on the way looks worth a visit")

I don't know how it is in Russia but in Poland you can go wherever you want and don't have to show your journey plan to anybody :D (but in 67' it was different for sure ;) )