Ford S Max 2.2 Tdci

stozz

Hi. I've been a member for a long time but usually just look through others' posts.

We've finally had enough of our Discovery 2's poor fuel economy, leaks and un reliability. Today we went out to look at the S Max and Galaxy (not new!) at a local Ford dealer. We want plenty of space as with our Land Rover but weren't sure whether we could 'get away' with an S Max.

Anyway, the dealer had a really nice Titanium X S Max Tdci at a good price. It was the 2. 2 173 hp. When I was originally looking online I was concerned that the 140 hp engine maybe a bit low on power so would prefer the more powerful engine.

This 2. 2 engine was dropped on the facelifted range for a 2. 0 163hp. The urban mpg figures on this engine are considerably better than the 2. 2 as are the emissions. My concern is the 2. 2 may only be a bit more economical than my Discovery as much of our normal driving is fairly short runs.

Has anyone got experience of any of these engines 140, 163 or 2. 2 173 hp. What is the real world economy like solo and what are they like for towing?

I've also noticed a recent post about S Max towbars. The 2. 2 model has twin tailpipes so could this cause me problems trying to source a towbar?

My caravan is an Elddis Avante 556 with an un laden weight of 1414kg. The figures on Towcar info look good for the proposed outfit.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to your feedback!

Hi i tow a bailey pegasus 1480kgs with a seat alhambra 140 bhp and has plenty of grunt in there only get about 26 to the gallon towing and 35-40 running around

I have a 2012. 2. 0L powershift Galaxy towing the Pegasus Ancona weighing in at 1499kgs loaded up. The car tows well. Plenty of power, getting mid to late 20s towing, mid to late 30s on the local runs and mid 40s on a motorway.

<p>Ford Galaxy Auto (powershift)AWD Towing An Elddis Avante 866 :)

You won't go wrong with the 2. 2. Also worth noting is that if you want an auto, then go for a 2. 2 as its a standard torque converter set up v's the powershift set up with the 2. 0 163 set up. There have been plenty of issues with the powershift gearbox (I speak from experience).

If you want manual, then you should be fine with the 2. 0 163 version

I've got a 2009 2. 0Tdci 140 manual and we tow 1600kg without any problems. Plenty of power. I get 45mpg with normal driving around the town and country lanes. and I can push it up to 50mpg or more on long runs if I'm sensible, don't exceed the speed limits and the wind is in my favour. Towing our 1600kg van we get around 30-31mpg.

My brother has a 2. 0 Auto Galaxy (2012 vintage) - not sure which gearbox or engine rating and he does lots of very short journeys - three or four a day (he's disabled) and manages about 35 around the town and 45ish on long runs

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like the 140 engine would suffice in the Galaxy or S Max although I'd still probably prefer the more powerful one, particularly the later 2. 0 163 hp for its economy over the 2. 2. I'll definitely be going for manual as I've heard about the auto problems.

However, I'm not totally convinced about moving away from 4x4, just need something cheaper to run and a lot more reliable. Also interested in the post 2008 x trail although the DPF issue is worrying particularly when I often do short journeys.

Thanks for the link to the reviews, I've checked them out as well!

Hi

We tow a Pegasus 546 with a 2. 2 auto Smax titanium. It's the 200 BHP one and in terms of power I don't really notice the difference between the 3. 0 V6 crd Jeep Grand Cherokee it replaced (other than the 6 pot is smother and sounds nicer than the 4 pot in the ford).

Economy wise it's much better than the jeep was 26 ish towing against 19 ish, high 20's about town V low 20's and high 30's on the motorway V mid 20's in the jeep.

It's bigger inside both passenger and boot and can seat 7 if we want whereas the Jeep only had 5 seats.

The only down side is no 4 wheel drive if needed.

If you have any more specific questions please ask.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Just make sure you don't get run flats. They are expensive, ruin the ride and don't last very long

Just make sure you don't get run flats. They are expensive, ruin the ride and don't last very long

Could not agree more MM having had run flats on a couple of minis.

That said the Smax is eating its way through the Goodyears I put on the front last summer before we went to France and Mrs G has only done about 7000 miles!

Mike

Could not agree more MM having had run flats on a couple of minis.

That said the Smax is eating its way through the Goodyears I put on the front last summer before we went to France and Mrs G has only done about 7000 miles!

Mike

Most I ever got out of mine was 12000. And that was taking them right down to the legal limit! Mind you the new merc doesn't seem any better, as they are down to 3mm with 8500 miles on the clock. At least they are cheaper though as they aren't run flats. ...

I tow a Bailey Pegasus2 Rimini with a 58 plate 2lt auto diesel and get 30plus towing sensibly. Lastyear Iin france averaged 31. On a steady run I achieve 48plus. solo and 40ish around town. A lovely drive and ride

Thanks guys.

I finally plumped for the 2. 2 Tdci. Was a good car at a good price and I got a good trade in on my Discovery. Fixed swan neck with dedicated electrics being fitted to the S Max for £339.

Thanks guys.

I finally plumped for the 2. 2 Tdci. Was a good car at a good price and I got a good trade in on my Discovery. Fixed swan neck with dedicated electrics being fitted to the S Max for £339.

Enjoy, ours pulls like a train.

With regards to the tow bar does it have the dedicated electrics and does that price include programming the ecu to recognise both the tow bar (it creates a blind spot so the sensors don't go off) and also knows when the van is attached so they don't come on when reversing.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up. This wasn't mentioned by the dealer so will have to look into it.

Steve

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up. This wasn't mentioned by the dealer so will have to look into it.

Steve

Steve

Just be careful. The dealer we got ours from started out with just a splice job until I made it clear I wanted the dedicated electrics.

They then programmed it in when they gave it a service before collection.

Mike