Near Miss....

RobJS

This has actually sent shivers up my spine. ... If you intend watching the video, please be aware that (quite understandably) there are two expletives. ...

http://road. cc/content/news/113083-video-caravan-firm-horrified-after-cyclist-suffers-shocking-near-miss

It's really good to see that the firm is taking it very seriously. Some wouldn't care but this firm seem to be on top of it.

As a road cyclist, and many of us here feel the same that sadly, this type of driving is not isolated. Personally, I'm a road cyclist who sticks wherever possible to cycle paths, it's what they are there for but there are occasions where I am forced onto the road. ... I just hope I never come to experience this.

Btw, this post is purely about a near miss, not a go at the company. Please dont take the opportunity to have a pop at them on this post, it's not the place to do it.

Edited by RobJS

Caravanless. ...

I had a double decker bus do that to me when I was a teenager. It put me on to the kerb in a heap. I caught up with the driver at the next stop and gave him a piece of my mind. Pity in those days we could not record the event but it is still as clear as day in my memory. :rolleyes:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

A double decker! My word. .. I do t think I would have got back on a bike after such an experience! It's the one and only thing that scares me. I've fallen off the bike a few times, that's nothing but to be hit by a passing vehicle, it would most likely lead me to hang my boots up.

Caravanless. ...

That should be reported to the police imo. driving without consideration for other road users.

I havent used my road ike for a long time now Rob, feel much safer blasting the trails off road.

Dave

I had a double decker bus do that to me when I was a teenager. It put me on to the kerb in a heap. I caught up with the driver at the next stop and gave him a piece of my mind. Pity in those days we could not record the event but it is still as clear as day in my memory. :rolleyes:

Claire had that happen to her on Lincoln high street by one of the single deckers ran by stagecoach. overtaking her then had to pull into the kerb as the lights changed. she was shook up something rotten, and found out a week later she was pregnant!

suppose it made a change from them running red lights that they seem to do on most occasions.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

A double decker! My word. .. I do t think I would have got back on a bike after such an experience! It's the one and only thing that scares me. I've fallen off the bike a few times, that's nothing but to be hit by a passing vehicle, it would most likely lead me to hang my boots up.

A worst thing happened when we were out on a bike ride in Derbyshire on the Ashbourne Road heading west. We had a car from the opposite direction drive over to our side head-on and force us off the road onto the grass. It was not overtaking either. I think the driver may have invented 'Chicken'. He/she was going at speed and so we missed the reg. no. Getting back on after that was a trial I can tell you.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

referring to Clairendaves's post above - was her pregnancy a result of falling off the bike :unsure:

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

referring to Clairendaves's post above - was her pregnancy a result of falling off the bike :unsure:

Ahh that may explain why Nicole looks nothing like me. ........... :)

Dave

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

writing as a cyclist . .

The cyclist was in the road when there was a cycle track available . . he took no evasive action when he heard the horn.

If you look at the road, the truck driver was avoiding going onto a solid line, red, hatched area in the centre of the road, marked as a shield for traffic turning right from the other direction.

The cyclist was not entirely blameless.

Edited by old hand

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

i don't agree thats a cycle lane, as there are no markings for the junction with the side road. I also think it is not compulsory to use them. (although sensible)

the white line in the road doesn't look solid either.

Edited by clairendave

That should be reported to the police imo. driving without consideration for other road users.

I havent used my road ike for a long time now Rob, feel much safer blasting the trails off road.

Dave

Claire had that happen to her on Lincoln high street by one of the single deckers ran by stagecoach. overtaking her then had to pull into the kerb as the lights changed. she was shook up something rotten, and found out a week later she was pregnant!

I have heard of Holy Ghost pregnancies, but attack by bus ones wow that is a first. (:-)

Seriously though drivers like that deserve stringing up.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

writing as a cyclist . .

The cyclist was in the road when there was a cycle track available . . he took no evasive action when he heard the horn.

If you look at the road, the truck driver was avoiding going onto a solid line, red, hatched area in the centre of the road, marked as a shield for traffic turning right from the other direction.

Fair post. ........but lets face it. if you need to drift into the "red hatched area" to avoid a collision with a man on a bike, you'd have to instinctively do it.

Where is the cycle track ? not saying there wasn't one, I just couldn't see it on the video.

I know its been mentioned not to post on the transport company but they should be easily traced. unfortunately though, there isn't enough evidence on the video to prosecute a conviction. just a possible caution if a person admitted to driving the vehicle.

Edited by Gaz40

writing as a cyclist . .

Then the truck driver should slow down and wait behind until his road is clear for overtaking. Anything else is Dangerous driving and looking at the video I would also suggest that attempted murder is also appropriate.

I see no cycle track, I see a footpath and riding a bike along that is against the law.

Edited by Bill Lord

Bill

http://www. speedlimit. org. uk/hatch. html

fairly clear where we all stand on entering red hatched areas if you read it.

Then the truck driver should slow down and wait behind until his road is clear for overtaking. Anything else is Dangerous driving and looking at the video I would also suggest that attempted murder is also appropriate.

quite agree, no excuse imo. i believe its called reading the road ahead :)

I see no cycle track, I see a footpath and riding a bike along that is against the law.

I couldn't see the cycle track but the cyclist does admit to not using it, due to the track being difficult to avoid lamp posts. (Think I'd rather avoid a lamp post than a 30 ton truck :blink: (Well nearly 30 ton)

Edited by Gaz40

writing as a cyclist . .

. ..

writing as a cyclist and cycling instructor . ..

What evasive action would you recommend with the truck passing at 40mph + ? Bunny-hop onto the pavement and take the bus ? There is no compulsion for cyclists to use cycle tracks in law or in the highway code. We've got to get away from the idea that blowing your horn in a prolonged way will make cyclists disappear so that ill-judged unsafe driving can occur unchecked. The truck driver was overtaking; it was his responsibility to do so safely. He had plenty of room to pass using the hatched area (the red paint is of no significance) and he chose to make an aggressive close pass because he appeared to have a personality defect, a skill defect or both.

If you're keen to apportion a bit of blame to the cyclist, I suggest you read paragraphs 162 -169 of the HC on overtaking.

Edited to appear calmer than I feel :angry:

Edited by hawkaye

hawkaye :beardy:

Now that the sun is out, country lanes are invaded by cyclists who have no road sense. Yesterday approaching a right hand bend at about 25mph where your vision is obscured by high hedges, there was an oncoming cyclist on the wrong side of the road and looking to have a head on collision with us. As I was going slow I managed to brake in time.

The cyclist was riding alongside his mates chatting to them. Unfortunately if I had hit the cyclist, as a motorist I would have been blamed even though the cyclist was obviously in the wrong!

This scenario is unfortunately not isolated and is very common around our area where cyclists like to ride 2 or 3 abreast. These are the cyclists that give all cyclists a bad name as there are many responsible cyclists out there that use common sense and take into consideration the road conditions and obey the rules of the road.

Driver was an absolute moron and lucky not to have killed the cyclist, the cycle path is clearly visible to the left though, and those unavoidable lamposts look pretty avaoidable to me.

Our local council has invested extensively in cycle paths and narrowed the roads to do so, people still choose to use the road for whatever reason :blink:

our cycle paths are defined by lines, that looks like a footpath compared to what we have.

I know the road, it is a footpath.

Bill

Not a bike but a near miss. ............

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/world-us-canada-26508189

This has developed further. It seems like the company concerned have really taken this seriously. Driver sacked.

http://road. cc/content/news/113535-caravan-firm-sacks-driver-who-was-filmed-overtaking-cyclist-inches-spare-video

Caravanless. ...

You are allowed to cross a solid double white line to overtake a stationary or slow moving vehicle, so there is no excuse for this drivers actions which could have resulted in a serious accident.

there isn't a solid white line to cross!! no excuses

Although it was close, the cyclist was not hit and now we have another person living off the taxpayer as work is probably difficult to get in that area. IMHO all cycles and m/c should have mirrors on their units just like cars.

Come to think of it maybe some pedestrians also as yesterday at about 5pm on a busy A road between Bridgenorth & Shrewsbury there was a lady jogging in the road with a her back to the traffic, using earphones and wearing a black track suit!

Unbelievable that some are defending he Truck driver, what did the cyclist do wrong?

If that was a cycle lane he could have used if he wanted but when on cycle lanes you are advised not to go above 15MPH. This cyclist looked to be making good progress and was not cycling inconsiderate.

I cycle a lot of miles a year and thankfully this type of driving does not happen often as 99+% of drivers are fine when passing cyclists. But after looking at this video a few times the only explanation is the driver did this close pass on purpose as there was plenty of road width or if there was not he should have slowed down simple as that. Using his horn would only startle the cyclist and could have caused him to wobble. The driver could have been facing death by dangerous driving so easily then.

I just hope he drives with more consideration to other road users in the future.

Well done to Forest of Dean for taking the matter very seriously.

Richard. ..

2012 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4, PowrHD Mover, Kamper 390 awning, Tugged by a 2010 Volvo V70 D5 Geartronic TwinTurbo

ava1.jpg