Kia Sorento Owners, Can You Help?

DannyUK

Hi all,

I have recently bought a Manual Kia Sorento XE 54 plate for towing. This is going from a Disco TD5 which unfortunately broke down nearly every trip. ..

What I am interested in finding out is, when towing do you always keep it in 2wd? And if so when do you use 4wd? On steep hills? On grass? etc. . As the disco I had was a constant 4wd.

Also, it has low mileage at 60k and I have been advised to check the front Prop Shaft for greasing, has anyone got any pictures or descriptions of what I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help,

Danny

We have just bought our third Sorrento and have only ever used 4wd for really wet grass or slopes on sites. Never used 4wd towing on roads and only used it single in icy conditions. I can't comment on the prop shaft as we always have had them serviced.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Hi we have the same XE 54 plate and use 2HI for virtually all towing.

Then there is 4HI and 4LO. You can switch from 2HI to 4HI whilst driving but have only ever done this once in mud. 4LO can only be selected from stationary and you are limited in speed.

So leave it in 2HI until you ever lose grip in mud.

Great tow car.

Don't know about prop shaft but get your dealer to check with your reg whether the rear axle mounts have been done. It is free and ours were done at 9 yrs old. Should be a recall but isn't.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Also, it has low mileage at 60k and I have been advised to check the front Prop Shaft for greasing, has anyone got any pictures or descriptions of what I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help,

Danny

Hi Danny,

The slider part of the prop shaft can be greased using the nipple shown in the photo (left) but the other grease nipples at the UJ joint will need a flexi (for the middle one only) and you may have a problem doing it in situ. This should be done during service but many do not do it as some who have had a seized one will say.

As Wispman has mentioned if you have not done so, please get your rear axle mounting brackets checked at a Kia dealer ASAP, Kia are only doing them if and when they go in for service and are not recalling so if any Sorento owners have their servicing done by an independent garage then they are at risk.

Kia Sorento Front Propshaft

HTH's KB
Edited by kiaboy

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Only use 4hi for very very boggy conditions. 99% of the time we are in 2wd only.

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

Hi all,

Thank you for all your replies. They have been very helpful.

I have now rang Kia and they have booked it in for rear axle mount inspection, the lady on the phone said this is a free recall and any work required will be done for free? So thank you for the advice.

I'm very impressed with the Kia so far, and the fact that it does the majority of the towing in 2wd is great. So 4wd only to be used in slippery conditions (heavy mud and ice?).

Once the brackets are done, and prop shaft inspected I will have a trial tow,

Thanks again,

Danny

Ahh, spoke to Kia again, and they explained it isn't a recall, however the work is done for free. As said above if you have your car serviced by them they usually tell you, if not. . well, they dont ;)

Will get under the car tomorrow to have a look at the prop shaft.

We have a 55 plate XS, I've never used 4 wd in 8 months of towing 1553 kg Challenger. Great tow car but a real gutsy motor, anywhere between £50-£70 a week not towing, wife only works three miles away so we are doing roughly about 60 miles a week.

Edited by leadlotus

2013 Swift Challenger 565 se 2010 Honda CRV 2. 2 Exec